Starting Over for the Millionth Time

Options

Replies

• paultireland
    paultireland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. I'm with you on the millionth start. I'd like to offer a few words of encouragement if you don't mind.

Years ago, I worked for Boeing Satellite systems here in California. I worked with actual rocket scientists who designed propulsion systems for satellites.

One day I was discussing the moon landing with them, and I learned an interesting and valuable lesson. When you send a rocket to the moon, it's never perfect. They don't fly in a straight line and land exactly where they planned without any changes. What really happens is they point toward where they want to go, and launch the rocket. Then, along the way, they go off course slightly and make hundreds or even thousands of tiny course corrections until they end up where they want to be.

I think success in losing weight or pretty much anything else is like this. You will never get anywhere until you start. You can't let perfection be the enemy of doing well. You move forward, and if you go off course a bit, you make a correction and keep moving forward and if you keep trying and stick to it, you will eventually get to the place you are trying to reach.

That being said, we should be able to eat like normal human beings now and then. We should be able to indulge in Huevos Rancheros, a slice of pizza with salad, cereal and toast, chips and salsa, cookies, buttered popcorn, or chocolate bar or even all of these in one day if it is only once in awhile. As long as the next day, we don't dwell on yesterday, we make a course correction, and move on.

I know you can make it. I know you can stick to it. You just have to find the combination of things that works for you.

I'm going to leave you with a few quotes from Thomas Edison that I think apply to success in weight-loss and life in general. It took him 10,000 tries to find the right filament necessary to succeed in making the light bulb work. When he was asked about it he said...

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
    ― Thomas A. Edison

“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”
    ― Thomas A. Edison
  • MissSarahAllison315
    Options
    I'm here too :) Feel free to add me! I'm on all the time (literally haha!)
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    This is what worked for me.... and its flexible - I love eating what I want :) It's an excellent, informative and detailed post! :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Cheri0830
    Cheri0830 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and I hope this is the last time I have to try and get it off I just want to keep it off, feel good about me, feel good in my clothes ( the ones I can't wear right now) And feel good to play with my grandson and I have the 2nd grandbaby on the way. We can do this.
  • yalitza88
    Options
    Hello,

One again 'Im starting this over again from the beginning. Back to basics. Starting with planning out my meals and starting Insanity AGAIN. But this time I want to do this with support " A buddy " I prefer a female. Someone I can relate to that's down to earth. If interested please let me know...Thanks:smile:

Email. yltzbeauchamp@yahoo.com
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    well done on your eating! You must have had a good protein score for the week!
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    OP doesn't HAVE to do a crap load of cardio in order to lose weight.

Except she LIKES cardio. In her profile she says "I like running, swimming, and LOVE dancing!" and she wants to do a half-marathon and (maybe) a full marathon.

So my advice would be to do cardio if you like it. If you do cardio and you have a bad day or two, it won't destroy your whole week. It makes it a LOT easier to stay under your calorie goals - and gives you important health benefits. Look into doing HIIT - high intensity interval training. It's a great way to push yourself a bit and really get your metabolism fired up.

Since you've struggled with your weight your whole life, I suspect the real problem is FOOD. I'm the same way. When I first started MFP I was SHOCKED to see how many calories I was eating in a day. I figured I was eating between 2,500 and 3,000 calories. In truth, I was eating between 3,500 and 4,000! Well, it's no wonder I couldn't lose weight!

When I got my eating under control, I kept working out (lots of cardio!) and the weight just dropped off. I lost 40 pounds in 4 months. I've since lost another 10 and maintained that loss for the past 6 months. I've reached my body fat goal of 12% and set a new PR for the half-marathon (under 2 hours for the first time in my life (I'm 46).

I allow myself a "free day" every week or two. When I get tired of counting every calorie and denying myself food, I just log "free day, 3,500 calories" and hit "logging complete". Then I eat whatever I want. This gives me a nice mental break (usually paired up with a physical rest day). By the end of the day I feel so crappy that I'm extremely motivated to have a good week.

Lately I've gotten tired of feeling really crappy, so I've limited my "free day" gluttony a bit but I still log it the same to get that mental break from logging.

Two other recommendations for you... first, I recommend giving up all simple carbs (sugars, white bread, white rice, etc) for a couple of weeks so you can break the cycle of addiction (AKA the sugar roller coaster). If you're like me, you'll have withdrawal symptoms - headache, cravings, fatigue, irritability, etc. for about 3 days. Then you'll feel a lot better and have a lot more willpower over sweets and carbs. Eat lean protein, complex carbs, veggies and lots of water.

Second, eat multiple small meals every day instead of 3 large meals. This helps keep your blood sugar more stable, so you're less hungry and have more control over cravings. You'll also feel better - more "even", less fatigue after eating - that afternoon slump feeling after a big lunch.

Here's everything I did to lose 40 pounds in 4 months. The calorie counts I used were wrong (I've since bought a HRM) but you can see I was pushing myself quite a bit. You don't have to push yourself this hard, but if you like cardio maybe you will enjoy it! :) Speaking for myself, I feel AWESOME.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920970-how-i-lost-the-fat?hl=how+i+lost+the+fat#posts-13975455

P.S. Feel free to add me as a friend if you really want to get this done!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You can eat those things but just watch the portion sizes. I believe as long as you are in your calorie range, you will be able to lose weight.
  • Npettersen
    Options
    Wishing you luck, I have been steadily gaining weight here & there for the last 5 years. Every couple years we go on a beach vacation and I restrict my diet and heavily exercise a few months before because I cannot stand the thought of being at the beach with family & friends all of which are in better physical shape than me, then I promptly put all the weight back on after. Self confidence is key and though I feel I have that in spades once I am actually in a bikini my self appreciation tends to take a nosedive! The problem in my past is that I have approached weight loss as a one time end "goal". I don't think you are being too aggressive but you may want to set smaller goals and work up to the bigger one. Take it from me all or nothing rarely works. Cabo is going to be amazing no matter if you lose 20 or 40 pounds. Maybe a long term goal is to view food and exercise with the thoughts like "would I eat this if I was going to the beach tomorrow? " or " what workouts would I do this week if I was going to be at the beach in 14 days?" Keep up the enthusiasm!!! I know you will look amazing!!!
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I really do appreciate everyone's advice and encouragement! I am definitely not gunning for losing 2 lbs every week and I have learned from my mistakes that cutting below 1200 calories is a terrible idea for long term results. My current MFP goal is set at 1.5 lbs per week with a goal of 1200 cal net per day. I think what I'll do is do my best to keep it to 1200 but in light of what you've all said, not stress if I go up to 1400-1500 net here and there.

Also thanks a TON for the info on replacing the fitbit! I emailed them and am gathering the info they requested to hopefully get my replacement for free! :D
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Just curious what about them is aggressive?

Also for the person who said not to eliminate food groups, I totally agree. The only reason I'm trying to reduce my wheat intake is because of the allergy. I'm realistic in knowing I can't cut it out completely because I like things like pizza too much :)
    Trying to change everything all at once is aggressive and probably why you can't sustain it long term. 1200 cal is low, 2 lb a week is high.
  • cvstokke
    cvstokke Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the constructive feedback and the friend adds. I'm looking forward to hopefully making it stick this time.
  • duckiebayb
    Options
    I know how it feels! I am on the shorter side and have always been a little heavy or "thick" as some people like to call it. I swear this has to be my 10 millionth try at trying to get healthy and back in shape. I love to eat and snack from the moment I wake up until Im ready for bed, Im trying very hard to retrain myself to be more aware of my decisions.

I'm wishing you the best of luck and know that you will be able to reach your goal weight loss prior to vacation!! I am constantly on here, posting and encouraging everyone around me!! Feel free to add me <3
  • doointhis4me
    doointhis4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to really like snacking all day..what has worked for me is drinking a lot.. Of water... I try to get 8-12 cups a day..helps me feel full and cuts down on the snacking..hopefully this would work for you too good luck :-)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would do the same thing if I was only netting 1200 a day?

Why so little?

You don't have over 100lbs to lose...so 2lbs a week is too much to fast....
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I would do the same thing if I was only netting 1200 a day?

Why so little?

You don't have over 100lbs to lose...so 2lbs a week is too much to fast....

If she she eats 1500-1800 calories and burns 300-600 in the gym to net around 1,200 she will lose a lot of weight and feel awesome. Work in some lifting in there, and she'll look awesome too. I see no problem with it.

But that's different from starving yourself on 1,200 calories and feeling crappy. That's not sustainable over the long-term.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've tried this so many times, but I'm trying to not let that discourage me.

Why not? Without facing up to what has happened before, the millionth time will end up just like the 999,999 previous times.

Own the failure first.
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    That was beautifully written.
  • dimplz1965
    dimplz1965 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sweat is fat crying. I've never heard that before and I need to print that out and put it on my computer so I drag my behind away from this thing and get that fat crying!
  • Gingerspice45
    Gingerspice45 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am also starting over for the millionth time. I'm looking to lose 100 pounds. I'm hoping I can do it by sometime in 2015 or end of 2014. I have an overeating problem when I'm stressed. I started after Thanksgiving and going strong so far.