Curves anyone?

Options
Does anyone here do Curves on the side for extra help or have done it before? I just started about a week ago and so far I'm not seeing any results. I joined in hopes of also meeting new people since I just moved and I don't know anyone. The people aren't that friendly actually. In fact when I go it's all much older ladies who will barely even look at you. I'm starting to thing this curves thing was a bad idea. AND on top of it all, there are 3 phases on curves and on the first phase they only want you eating 1200 calories. On here my calorie goal is suppose to be 1700. It's quite confusing.

Replies

• JeeperChick
    JeeperChick Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Here's my 2 cents about Curves....

I joined Curves in hopes of getting in shape and meeting new people as well. I was 125 lbs when I started there. I did not lose any weight after 4 months of doing that circuit 4-5x a week. I also found that the majority of members were 60 or older and/or in very poor shape. I did not find it at all encouraging that none, and I mean none, of the other members or employees appeared to be fit, although they worked out at least 3x a week for several months or years. It's definitely not a place to get a serious workout. It's the same circuit workout every time and it uses only hydraulic machines. Because hydraulic machines only have resistance in one direction, it is not an effective workout. IMHO, Curves is best for the elderly or people who do not want to really exert themselves. What works for me is a mix of running, cardio machines, pilates and strength training. I also eat at least 1600-2000 calories a day. I am now 108 lbs.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I didn't even break a sweat doing curves... I just didn't get it at all... and as for the 1200 calories thing... well what exactly does that achieve except hunger and a bad mood ... :tongue:
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

I joined Curves in hopes of getting in shape and meeting new people as well. I was 125 lbs when I started there. I did not lose any weight after 4 months of doing that circuit 4-5x a week. I also found that the majority of members were 60 or older and/or in very poor shape. I did not find it at all encouraging that none, and I mean none, of the other members or employees appeared to be fit, although they worked out at least 3x a week for several months or years. It's definitely not a place to get a serious workout. It's the same circuit workout every time and it uses only hydraulic machines. Because hydraulic machines only have resistance in one direction, it is not an effective workout. IMHO, Curves is best for the elderly or people who do not want to really exert themselves. What works for me is a mix of running, cardio machines, pilates and strength training. I also eat at least 1600-2000 calories a day. I am now 108 lbs.

Geeze, not only fit people go to gyms. What a crappy reason to not go, because unfit people are there.
  • marthahorn
    marthahorn Posts: 23
    Options
    Like every other gym, Curves has it's niche. I was 50-something when i joined and was intimidated beyond belief to go. Once there and seeing others who didn't have the "right" workout clothes, who were as uncoordinated as I was, and who were as overweight as i was made me feel comfortable. Our older joints, bones, and horribly out of shape bodies responded to the workout. It's not for everyone. But it was for me at that point in time. Any movement is better than no movement and i'm sure there were women there who "graduated" to "better" gyms.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with Curves (wrong chromosomes for it), but from what I understand it's basically a girls-only version of Planet Fitness. By that I mean the highly restrictive rules combined with the lack of equipment are really only useful for people who are very out of shape and first starting out. More than likely you will outgrow anything Curves can do for you in a lot less time than it takes for your contract to expire.
  • Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I joined Curves 2 weeks ago, inspired by my Mom and one of her friends. I am 58 years old and out of shape. So far I love it. Most of the women there are my age and older and many are not slim. But most are stronger and more energetic than I am. I am sweaty when I finish my circuit. When the machines get easier you get a card to insert that increases the resistance. I like the friendly atmosphere at my local Curves. For weight loss, I am counting calories with MFP. I am sure I could never workout hard enough to lose weight with exercise alone although I know people who have done it, I love that MFP calculates the calories burned in a Curves session according to my weight and age!
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i used to belong to curves and i LOVED it. i joined when i was...28 or 29 and went 3-4 times a week until it closed (and turned into yet another stupid hot yoga studio) three or 4 years later. i miss it terribly. i always got a great workout - you really have to push yourself if you want any results. i was always soaked with sweat and out of breath at the end of the circuit. the one i belonged to had a card key type system that let the machines recognize you and increased your intensity automatically.
    i didn;t actually have any weight to lose but i did end up with quite a bit of muscle and better endurance. the music was usually terrible but most of the people were nice. i guess. i don't like to socialize while working out but some folks do. i also never bothered with any of their "classes".
  • Kadje
    Kadje Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with Curves (wrong chromosomes for it), but from what I understand it's basically a girls-only version of Planet Fitness. By that I mean the highly restrictive rules combined with the lack of equipment are really only useful for people who are very out of shape and first starting out. More than likely you will outgrow anything Curves can do for you in a lot less time than it takes for your contract to expire.

You can pay by the month, although it's $10 more per month. I was going to do that but the owner of my local Curves lets you sign for a year and if you quit before that you just pay the extra $10 per month retroactively for the months you came. No doctor's note needed. I joined just in time to get in on a special offer. July and August are free and you start paying in September (if you sign for a year). I had intended on paying by the month and not taking advantage of the special until the owner told me that she would only charge the extra $10 for the months completed if I wanted to get out of the contract. So, I would have nothing to lose. That is an unusual arrangement, though! Most franchises will continue to take your money for the rest of the year if you quit,
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

I have a close friend who tried Curves and this is basically exactly how she felt about it. I went with her a few times, so it seems pretty spot on in my limited experience. I know her biggest complaint was that it was hard to be inspired and have faith in a program when everyone in there doesn't seem to be getting any results.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 50s and very out of shape. A few years ago, I lost 100 lbs in one year with diet(tracking with Fitday.com) and Curves 3 times a week as my only workout. I used their "smart" system, which kind of forces you to work at the top of your exertion ability.

I did find it kind of boring after that, and fell off with my commitment to both exercise and eating right, and so, gained back half that weight. Now I'm back on track eating wise, but am still finding Curves boring, so I mix it with home exercise and the Y.

But i did find the Curves smart system very effective. And for me, the low intimidation factor was necessary to give me the confidence to do it at all. And the fact that it's quick and easy (no adjusting machines) helped keep me regular in attendance.
  • AnotherOrangeCat
    Options
    I joined Curves a few years ago, when I was at my highest weight and quite out of shape. It's very low intimidation, an easy circuit, but as you get stronger it's possible to increase intensity. Compared to other gyms I've been to, it was very simple and user-friendly. There was a mix of women in very different shape at my local one - some were quite fit.

My favorite part was how simple it was to get in and into a workout right away. Nothing to set up, calculate, figure out - just get into the circle and go. Sort of like going to a class, but at any time you want. I did not count calories at the time, but I found it easier to lose weight while going there. It's probably more of a cardio workout overall - not a bad thing for weight loss.

The flip side of simple is that it is quite boring. Same circuit, same machines, same music. I didn't go there to socialize, so I can't say anything about that aspect, but it seemed that people knew each other.

I'm now going to another "normal" gym. It's better in many ways, but the little "circuit" room is not nearly as easy to use. People jump randomly between machines, go backwards, stay on one machine, forcing others to go around them. The machines use regular weight system, that needs to be adjusted every time (that's probably more of a good thing). And there is no audio "change" cue, so you need to pay attention, no 'zoning out'.
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to go to Curves. It never helped with weight loss. I couldn't break a sweat. Joined a gym and used a personal trainer. That did wonders. I had to quit when I lost my job, but I will go back when I can afford it.
  • Jamers79
    Options
    I joined Curves in February 2013. A year later and I lost 31 lbs. That may not seem like a lot to some people; but I lost a few pounds a month and haven't gained anything. SOme months I didn't have any weight loss but lost inches. I love it. You get what you put in. I make sure that I MOVE when I am on the recovery stations. Also, in January 2014 Jillian Michaels joined the team and there are workouts to do in between each station. I sweat. You can go to a regular gym and walk on a treadmill for 40 minutes and not sweat. AGain, you get what you put in. The new Jillian workout is pretty awesome and HURTS and I sweat my butt off. But, everyone is different.