Losing weight rather slowly

Options
Hi all!

I am wondering if this is a normal thing for my particular shape. I am an apple-shaped woman who is having trouble losing actual weight (but not inches, which is confusing to me!). I started at 162lbs during the 2nd week of September. I am now at 154lbs. My workout routine is basically 40 minutes of HIIT on an elliptical 3 times a week and power yoga + regular cardio on the elliptical for 40 minutes 2 times a week. I look better (I've lost 7% of my body fat), I feel better, but I am mystified as to why it has taken me so long to lose just 8lbs. My mid-section seems to be where all of that fat is at (of course). Also, I eat a lowER carb diet and try to have lots of protein.
Anyways....I guess I'm mainly looking for advice/motivation/inspiration. Right now, it makes me kind of sad to see only a small loss in the abdominal area after all my hard work.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You mention everything except how many calories you're eating. Are you counting calories? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or estimating portion sizes? Are you logging your workouts and eating back the earned extra calories? If so are you using MFP/machine estimates or a HRM to determine your calorie burn?
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    What this sounds like is that you are gaining muscle :) Since you are losing inches and BF% you are losing actual fat. Muscle weighs more than fat so it is not surprising that you aren't losing actual weight. Keep going with paying attention to inches and BF%. If you have any before pictures compare those to how you look now and I am sure you will see a difference :)

You are doing really great, and keep up with the great work!

Good luck in your continued fitness goals!
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    on the elliptical do you hold on the bars? you shouldnt hold on the bars or the control pad.
    try to raise the incline and dont hold on to anything. 30sec walk 30 sec jog or run.
    the midsection always goes last. you should see some fat loss somewhere else like arms or shoulders etc...
    try some bodyweight hiit. working the whole body burns more fat.
    i have some ideas for a workout, hit me up if you need help and lets burn those fat faster.
    just dont give up and keep pushing. this is not temporary, you are in this for the long term.
    your on a lifestyle change not on a diet
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I am disposed to apple shape also, can I give you some helpful advice?

This helped me greatly, go to the search tool and success stories, just type apple shape....you will be amazed in all the people that can inspire you x
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    What this sounds like is that you are gaining muscle :)

The OP isn't going to gain muscle doing mostly cardio and eating at a deficit.

OP: I agree with Dianne. You mention your workouts and eating low carb, but not calories in vs. calories out. It's common to overestimate calories burned in exercise; I've found that MFP's database isn't very reliable for many of my favorite activities.

There's a saying that you lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. I managed to gain 5 lbs. in fall 2012 while maintaining a very active exercise program (6-8 hours a week of moderate to intense bicycling). I've now lost about 45 lbs. since January by counting calories and consistently running a deficit.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    You've lost nearly 10% of your body fat!!! That doesnt seem like an accomplishment to you? I dont care if you stay the same weight losing BF is going to be the factor that improves your health.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    You've lost nearly 10% of your body fat!!! That doesnt seem like an accomplishment to you? I dont care if you stay the same weight losing BF is going to be the factor that improves your health.

BINGO! Heard it a million times but so true, focus on what you have accomplished not what you haven't done yet. I have to do this daily!
  • hungryrecovery
    Options
    Unfortunately, I am a bit impatient =( I do realize though that 7% is a big deal, and I am very proud of that!
    Thank you for the links/words of inspiration. It's wonderful to know that there are others out there who know what I am going through. As for how many calories I eat, I generally hit...1700. It's actually a struggle for me to eat over 800 calories. I have a weird problem with not craving food at all (HIIT actually made that much worse), but I still will make myself eat something good (like nuts, Greek yogurt) when I'm hungry.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Try dropping your calories down to 1500 and see what happens. You will have play around with your numbers to find the right number for you. The goal is to eat enough to fuel your workouts, but lose weight at a comfortable pace. Weight loss is extremely tedious, hang in there and keep up your fantastic routine! I am also apple shaped so I can sympathize with your frustration.:flowerforyou:
  • ElPatoLoco
    ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Grrr... muscle does not weigh more than fat... OK so maybe I'm a pedant but it iritates me every time I read that line... a pound of feathers weighs exactly the same as a pound of hammers... a cubic foot of muscle will weigh more than a cubic foot of fat because it's more dense... Ergo a smaller volume of muscle will have the equivalent weight of a larger volume of fat.

In response to OP my weight flatlined for 6 months when I increased the amount of exercise I was doing although my calorific intake remained fairly constant, eating back the calories I burned off to keep to daily target. Like you I also noticed reductions in certain measurements and greater definition which was nice but keeping me 14lbs short of my original goal.

I reduced the exercise to a much lighter workout, mostly just to avoid losing any more muscle mass and started losing weight again... but yeah, it does hang on around the middle ;)
  • hungryrecovery
    Options
    ElPatoLoco: You've given me an idea. I do 40 minute total HIIT elliptical workouts about 3 times a week (sometimes 4). The workouts are pretty intense, and I am wondering if they are too long and/or drawn out. I've also been doing the same workout since September, so maybe it's time for a change - a shorter HIIT workout and maybe taking a look at my protein consumption as well. I think I may be lacking a bit there also. Anyways, thank you for sharing that! It was very helpful =)
    Acogg: I will definitely be watching my calories =)
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

I notice a lot still have a slight lower belly. It seems it never really goes away. I'm still working on mine as well.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    On a side note. Apples are usually not small people and probably never will be. So might as well work on getting some muscle.