Insanity w/ bum knee?

Options
I have a friend who had GREAT results with Insanity, and I would really like to do it I just worry about my knee. I have a "slightly" torn meniscus and am worried about making the injury worse. Has anyone done Insanity with knee injuries? How did it go for you?

Replies

• rstring
    Options
    I would be interested to know as well, I have both knees in the same state, thanks!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/131025-insanity?page=1#posts-1799561

mentions about a person having 4 knee surgeries and completed 3 rounds of Insanity (Jamie31)

Message her and she what her knee issues were and maybe she'll be able to answer your question(s).
  • kirstindr
    Options
    WOW, 3 surgeries...thanks!
  • letsdothis2010
    letsdothis2010 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hey kirstindr,

I read your post and my knee surgery knee twinged in sympathy pain haha. I've never used insanity before, but I know it uses a lot of "high impact" moves such as jumping, jumping lunges, etc etc. Those kinds of moves will only further aggravate a meniscus (even if the tear is small) and will probably make the tear even larger. Have you seen a doctor about it?
  • kirstindr
    Options
    Hey kirstindr,

I read your post and my knee surgery knee twinged in sympathy pain haha. I've never used insanity before, but I know it uses a lot of "high impact" moves such as jumping, jumping lunges, etc etc. Those kinds of moves will only further aggravate a meniscus (even if the tear is small) and will probably make the tear even larger. Have you seen a doctor about it?

Yes, but they don't want to do a repair right now...they mentioned something about cortisone shots (I think it was cortisone), but as far as medicine goes I'm kind of holistic so the idea kind of made me cringe.

I was thinking about getting a good knee brace and going for it. I can do all the moves from 30 day shred with no issues, but I'm just worried about Insanity because it seems really intense.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm currently rehabbing a torn tendon in my left knee. This is the third time I've torn a tendon, but actually the 4th time I've injured the same knee. The first time I injured my knee was in a car accident (1989). I broke the kneecap in half and tore every ligament and tendon in my knee. The second time I did a backflip in high heels and my shoe broke and I went down tearing my ACL (1996). The third time I slipped and fell at work and tore the meniscus (2001). This time, I tripped over a cord my son had left across my front walkway while leaving in the dark and tore my patella tendon (about a month ago). The first two required surgery. The 3rd and (hopefully) the 4th are just healing with physical therapy. I did Insanity about 5 months ago. I had to modify some of the moves because they were just too much on my knee, but it can be done even with a previous knee injury. Just make sure you are fully rehabbed first, do the quad and hamstring strengthening exercises from PT even after PT is over but slowly add weight, and modify anything that is uncomfortable. You may have to modify everything to low impact at first, but it can be done. Then as your knee strength improves, you can start adding in more and more impact. Good luck with your PT and enjoy Insanity. Even modified it is a lot of fun!
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    hey im currently just finishing my first week its a lot of squats and my knees pop all the time but i think my knees are actually getting better and you decide how high you jump how far you lunge or jump side to side :) i think you should be fine
  • kirstindr
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I think I am going to order it for myself as soon as I get Thanksgiving and Christmas shopping out of the way; we get to be the "lucky" hosts this year lol.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    You'll notice in Insanity that Shaun T will tell you do what you can do at your own pace. In the video there are people that go different speeds and even take their own mini breaks (which I like cause it doesn't make me feel guilty when I need to catch my breath lol). There are times I skip some the jumping workouts and jog in place until the next workout.

I
    "Insanity 2" comes out in Feb 2011 instead of Nov 2011!!! This one from what I read has more sport training workouts and includes weights. I love Shaun T though whether he is being flamboyant in Hip Hop Abs or being hardcore in Insanity.
  • bk2011
    bk2011 Posts: 268
    Options
    I have a friend who had GREAT results with Insanity, and I would really like to do it I just worry about my knee. I have a "slightly" torn meniscus and am worried about making the injury worse. Has anyone done Insanity with knee injuries? How did it go for you?

I wear a knee brace on both knees! I am entering the second month and I actually think that my knees are getting stronger! I've never had any trouble with pain, which I would get from running!
  • kirstindr
    Options
    I'm excited to get it now after hearing about everyone who has done it with knee issues...
    I hope I get results like my friend's :p