Cooked Vs Raw

Options
Hope I'm not the only one living under a rock here, but I just read this article.

http://www.skinnylimits.com/the-raw-and-the-cooked-why-all-calories-are-not-equal/

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArialMT;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl360\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 47160412.png\
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods}

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Humans (and their homo etc ancestors) have been cooking their food for about 2 million years. Any notion that cooking is somehow "unnatural" is not based in reality.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    How in the hell did beans get mentioned in an article about the benefits of raw food?
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I got tasked with baking a birthday cake last weekend.

Gluten Free. Okay... I can make that happen.

Vegan... hmmm... I can probably still swing that.

Raw... WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? Google-->Wiki---> WTF DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?

So... I ended up baking cake, so that right there is not raw. It was gluten free (the cake part), but it wasn't vegan because I didn't have an egg substitute. Also, it wasn't raw because duh... it was baked.

The filling was vegan and raw (but no guarantee to gluten content): Super overpriced almond butter

The Cream cheese frosting was semi-vegan. The cream cheese I used was vegan (but I don't think raw), but I couldn't find any vegan butter... since the cake already had eggs, I figured why not use butter in the frosting. Not sure if their was gluten in the frosting.

In the process of trying to find recipes and ingredients, I realized I was dealing with a 3-part Venn diagram that had very little overlap. Not to mention when you look at the labels of vegan food you wonder, 'How the hell can that be good for you/ good idea?"

In summation: I stressed way too much for a mediocre cake that cost way too much, didn't quite hit the mark of somebody's random moral/dietary needs, and made me angry.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    you try too hard.
    RAW VEGAN BIRTHDAY CAKE

appleCandles.jpg
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My take from this is that in some ways cooked is better...more calories and more easily digested means more available nutrients and easier on my stomach. I started eating more veggies when I eased up on thinking that they had to be raw...veggies cooked in meat broth and lightly sauteed greens are so much easier for me to eat. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    :laugh: @ Apple "cake"

POTD!

:drinker:
  • dtimedwards
    Options
    you try too hard.
    RAW VEGAN BIRTHDAY CAKE

appleCandles.jpg

Thanks. I'll remember that for next year.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    cake2-650x415.jpg
    It's not cake but this looks delicious. But it has whipped cream... is there a vegan whipped cream?!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    cake2-650x415.jpg
    It's not cake but this looks delicious. But it has whipped cream... is there a vegan whipped cream?!

Cool whip.

I ate a raw dinner tonight....raw buffalo. :)
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I def don't understand the raw philosophy. I have a friend who says cooking breaks down enzymes that we need to digest food. Really? Our bodies have natural enzymes to break down food. It's in our saliva and stomach acid. We don't need the food to break itself down. It's called chewing.

There are nutrients that are lost when cooking, but so what? Tomatoes give you MORE lycopene when cooked. Also, raw diets tend to leave out really nutritious foods that aren't easy or appetizing to eat raw (like collards).

I'll stick with eating some things raw and cooking some things based on how I personally enjoy them.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    A raw vegan cake is basically dried fruit and nuts blended together and made into a round, kind of like a pane forte ... Almond butted and pecan butter + maple syrup as a frosting, would be good ... almonds, pecans, maple syrup ... blend until smooth and creamy ...
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    dtimedwards: That's some funny writing right there. Here, you may enjoy this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9QbC41oQRo
  • dtimedwards
    Options
    dtimedwards: That's some funny writing right there. Here, you may enjoy this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9QbC41oQRo

That is my new favorite video. Thanks.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    you try too hard.
    RAW VEGAN BIRTHDAY CAKE

appleCandles.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: