not gaining weight but gaining inches...

Options
Last April I measured my waist and hips and they were 28" and 38" respectively. The other day I FINALLY bought a tape measure keep track and found out that my waist and hips are now 30" and 42", but I weigh the same as I did with the previous measurements! I haven't been exercising enough to put on 4" of muscle lol any thoughts?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    How do your clothes fit? Measurements are sort of funny. If you don't take them in the exact same place, they can vary wildly. There is also monthly bloat from being female, though four inches would be extreme.
  • rebranding101
    Options
    I'm not a doctor or anything, but my friends and I coined this term when we were in our mid 20's. We nicknamed it the "Migration of snuggle fluff." It happened to all of us, and we noticed our bodies would spontaneosly just get bigger in some areas for no apparent reason, however our weight remained the same.

I'd be interested if this is a widespread female phenomenon.
  • skyisover
    skyisover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight from both of you! It just blew my mind! lol
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    measure yourself again in a week or so to see whether this is not a one off.

If not, then one not pretty explanation could be you are losing muscle and gaining fat and as fat takes up more volume your measurements increase. It tends to happen as people age and become less active i.e. I am now the same weight (actually 2lbs lighter) then I was when I was 16, but I displace more water now :-).
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I find you have to make really sure you measure in EXACTLY the same place, if you have a mole or something, go by that.