ATTN: Marathon Runners, I need advice!! :)

joleanrook
joleanrook Posts: 117
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
I have made the commitment to run in next year's Dallas White Rock Lake Marathon.
It will be my first Marathon ever, and it is 26.2 miles long. I have an entire year to train for it though and I am going to go for it !!

That's where you come in.

If you've ever run a marathon, I need advice.
What running shoes are the best?
How should I begin training?
How many minutes should I aim for 1 mile?
Should I practice on the road or on a treadmill?
How about attire, what to wear...?
How do you adjust your calories during training or prior to race day?
Any sage advice?
Do you think I can be race-ready in one year?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Replies

• Jolean... sorry I can't help very much but will love to read about the advice. I want to run a marathon next year too but it seems so far and I am nervous about it. Thanks for posting the topic!

Any advice from the experts is greatly appreciated, especially where to get the best marathon plans. There are so many to choose from.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 674 Member
    Sorry, I don't have advise, I want to bump this to read the comments that you receive. Good luck with the marathon, you will be great!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    I have made the commitment to run in next year's Dallas White Rock Lake Marathon.
    It will be my first Marathon ever, and it is 26.2 miles long. I have an entire year to train for it though and I am going to go for it !!

Any sage advice?

1. get fitted for proper shoes, it depends on your arches, stride, etc. and what works for one person can cause injury for others. I swear by Mizuno myself.
    2. there are a lot of plans available, and I've been coaching for two years and running quite a while, so feel free to throw questions my way anytime, and you should check out runnersworld.com and halhigdon.com, and marathonrookie.com :)
    3. Don't set time goals yet, right now focus on finishing :) trust me it helps!
    4. Outdoors is definitely better, but if the weather is junk a treadmill is fine, just make sure to vary the incline (and decline to mimic actual leg pressure)
    5. Depends on the weather, wicking/tech fabric is way more comfortable, and shorts with built ins don't bunch as much. I like to wear compression socks, or at least thin wicking socks, and a bright colored hat
    6. You don't need to worry about your pre race calorie adjustment yet, but you will find that as you train more, your needs will change
    7. HAVE FUN! with your training, your pain, your good runs, disappointing runs, stink, everything!
    8. Absolutely, a year is more than enough time to train for a marathon, most beginner friendly plans are 4-6 months, so you will have a great base building period.

Excited for you!!!!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    bump
  • sk_letsdothis
    sk_letsdothis Posts: 44 Member
    I've decided to do a half marathon next year and I found this website very informative...www.marathonrookie.com There's even a training schedule for both FULL and HALF Marathons! Pretty awesome!
  • I have made the commitment to run in next year's Dallas White Rock Lake Marathon.

Any sage advice?

first off...CONGRATULATIONS!!! I just completed my first full 2 weeks ago and I'm registering tomorrow for my 2nd! YOU CAN DO THIS!

1. The running shoes I wear and swear by are Brooks. But I don't know your foot so I suggest you go to a running store and they can fit you. That will play a HUGE roll in your running. Don't skip out on good shoes. They may be costly but they are definitely worth it!! and replace them when they need to be repalced!
    2. I'm not sure how many miles you run per week but since it's a year away I would just get your mileage up to 15-25 miles a week. You want to be able to run that easily. Then when it gets a little closer look at marathon training plans. I used the Hal Higdon but I altered it a little. I ran 22 miles rather than only 20.
    3. I set a time goal for myself and I didn't make it and was disappointed so my advice: DONT SET TIME GOALS FOR YOUR FIRST MARATHON! It's going to be enough just to finish it!! aim for a time goal for your 2nd, 3rd, etc. If you finish, that will be an accomplishment itself! but just for instance, I ran about 11-12 min mile on my long runs and it was a tad faster during the actual race.
    4. personally I HATE, HATE HATE the treadmill lol you will be doing your marathon outside so I would say train outside as much as possible but the treadmill is a great tool for training in bad weather, etc.
    5. depending on the weather there...which I'm in MI so it was COLD! I ran in running tights and a Nike compression running top for cold weather it was perfect. I also wore a crappy hoodie in the beginning because it was so cold and just tossed it when i got warm.
    6. during my marathon training I got off of MFP because I didnt want to be concerned with calories. EAT!!! if your body is hungry..eat! You will be burning tonnnnnsss of calories and you need to keep your body fueled! I ate healthy of course I didnt go hog wild but I didn't try and stay within a certain number. I also got The Runners Diet book...VERY HELPFUL!
    7. ENJOY IT!! You will feel so great when you go farther than your last run! it's a great feeling.
    8. you will be more than race ready in a year!! i only trained 4 months and I was ready!!!! You will do great!

hope this helped! Keep me updated on your progress! I'd love to see how it goes for you! I am entering for the 2011 NYC marathon so i'll be training as well!
    any more questions, just ask!! :) I love talking about running! (obviously, my post is forever long.)
  • FutureMrsEssman
    FutureMrsEssman Posts: 81 Member
    bumpity bump
  • Wow, all yalls information has been extremely encouraging!
    My next paycheck I will go invest in some good running shoes, does anyone have any idea of a good legit place to buy them in my area? (Rockwall to Dallas Texas or anywhere in between.)
    I am finally getting excited about something! Yay!

I do pilates, but only 20-30 min every other day so I think this marathon training will be quite a change up for me.
    I guess I need to buy a pedometer too.

Hooray!

Keep the advice coming!!!
  • missyhse
    missyhse Posts: 189
    My pal in Dallas area said to check out Run On http://www.runontexas.com/index.html and Luke's Locker :)
  • loverunning11
    loverunning11 Posts: 94 Member
    My husband and I ran our first marathon in October. Here is the link to our blog:

http://brookesmarathontrainingpage.blogspot.com/

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Woo Hoo!!! Good for you! So excited for your upcoming journey!

My two cents worth:

What running shoes are the best? That depends on how you run. I overpronate and am on the heavy side so I go with the Aisics stability shoe. Best bet? Go to a good running store and get your gait analyzed then follow their advice.

How should I begin training? Runnersworld.com has a bunch of good training programs for newbies.

How many minutes should I aim for 1 mile? Aim for what is comfortable for you. You should not feel like your dying at the end of your long run. Tempo runs and speedwork are another story ;) At least for us mortals, marathons are endurance events, not races.

Should I practice on the road or on a treadmill? Mix it up but try and do most on road, ESPECIALLY the long runs (most treadmills can't handle the long run at any rate).

How about attire, what to wear...? Wicking, comfy, and snug. Also, LUBE!!! I use a lube made for tri-athletes cause it is super slick, but dang near anything will work for most (e.g. petroleum jelly, body glide, etc.)

How do you adjust your calories during training or prior to race day? I have my MFP settings set to sedentary and one pound per week and I try and meet my calorie goals (i.e. not over or under, including exercise). That said, for the real long runs (more than 13 miles) you need to load up a bit the day before...I call it my Freedom Friday (lately Feeding Frenzy Friday) cause my long runs are on Saturday.

Any sage advice? Forget tapering. Really. I mean, don't go crazy the week before but don't be a sluggard either. Also, I would push for at least 22 if not 24 mile long run at some point before the actual gig....helps me tremendously with the "can I really do it" factor.

Do you think I can be race-ready in one year? Heck ya! No problem :)
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Good on you! I've done 3 full road marathons and a high altitude mountain one. Please don't take my suggestions as gospel. It is just what works for me and definitely some of the websites mentioned in other posts have very good information.

- I always buy reputable brands, but from the bargain bins - last year's model and replace them often. I buy well cushioned ones a size larger than my regular trainers to accommodate swelling. I've never had foot or knee problems. I actually got second place in last year's Run for the Cure 5k in Tokyo (bcs it was appallingly organised and started 2 hours late and everyone had gone home!) and one of my many prizes was a voucher for a pair of New Balance shoes. The guy measured me up and was very skeptical when I insisted on half a size larger but they've worked great for me. That said, I don't try and break records. My marathon times have been between 4.22 and 4.50 and I am 75kg, 180cm hence my priority on cushioning.

Start by jogging very slowly about 5km and build up. 1 year is loads of time :-)

For the "long runs" 11-12 minutes is fine.

I'm another treadmill loather but it must be better than not running if you can't get outdoors. Maybe the treadmill is good for keeping a constant pace??

As little as possible in good weather! I run (jog I think it is called!) slowly - 6k/h, about a 10 minute mile - so in winter I run with a jacket, gloves and cap as I don't generate much heat at that speed.

I take PowerBar gels for long runs and every 30 minutes through a marathon. Running makes me so hungry. I was very happy to eat my extra 1000+ calories tonight after a 90 minute run!

Any sage advice?
    Don't run too fast.

DEFINITELY and Good Luck.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    I haven't done a marathon yet (hopefully next year...hopefully NYC), but I can definitely answer the shoe question.

The best shoes are the shoes that are best for you!

Oh, also in terms of training and building mileage... Don't increase your mileage by more than 10% each week or you're asking for injuries and issues.
  • Yes, absolutely, a year is plenty! I started running in March, and could hardly do a mile (out of breath) but Oct. 23rd ran first marathon and it was a blast! That's 8 1/2 months, with 4 mos. of actual marathon focus.
    1.READ A LOT to learn about training -- and 16 weeks of serious marathon training, prior to that just start building a base of mileage and getting heart rate up, comfortable, a litte speed play too. Track progress -- amazing how quickly one can progress!
    2.TAKE WHAT YOU'VE READ AND TOSS what doesn't feel right for you. Such as the tapering thing, for me, like archyjill, didn't feel right. Carbloading? Yuck! I tried it and felt gross within a day. Less running for 2 -3 wks? Yuck. Final week prior to marathon, some real rest is essential, but for me not any more than that.
    3. Get a gadget. So you know your comfortable pace and can watch it change, so you know exactly how far you went -- until I did that it was a guessing game. I have a garmin forerunner 110 -- gps (fun to map new places), heart rate, pace, all the details, and simple to use. but a simple sport watch is fine too.
    4. HAVE A GOOD TIME!

p.s. running shoes -- I like barefoot on the beach (when I'm there) and have solid, strong, happy feet that simply want a shoe that doesn't interfere. I wore Nike Air Pegasus for final weeks of training and marathon -- they were fine -- for othere months wore a pair from goodwill of worn Asics something, and Saucony something, and all were o.k. but better if you wear an insole gel thingie. Haven't found a shoe that feels magic -- perhaps it doesn't exist?
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    Congrats to you!! Awesome goal to work towards!! I am jumping in to see the replies. I just got back into running this year and am currently training for my first half marathon in January 2011.
  • RunRideRay
    RunRideRay Posts: 1,536 Member
    2.TAKE WHAT YOU'VE READ AND TOSS what doesn't feel right for you.

That is great advice, and absorb all you can and experiment with different things during training, which you have plenty of time for.

You do have a lot of EXCELLENT advice so I won't try to re-spin anything that's said, but I do have a good tip on shoes. Try to buy a few pair of shoes and rotate them during your training. Ideally have a pair that is near the end of it's life-cycle and a new pair, and some "just right". That way you are never spending too much time on old or new shoes. I also do different brands or shoe's that work just so the wear points change slightly, this reduces chaffing and blisters on longer runs. The 1/2 size big is a good comment too, but overall be sure the toe box is generous for your feet. This will help prevent the cursed black toenails.

Of course.... this takes some folding money but running is such a cheap sport overall.

I usually don't swing into random threads, but thought I'd give a good tip here. GOOD LUCK to those trying, and GREAT JOB to that have done one, or many.

Ray
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    jenocelot ~ I completely agree about the carbo loading thing. It's really a throwback from the days when people would try to run off every bit of glycogen remaining in their body to look all lean and mean - and then would "replinish" it by eating tons and tons of pasta. And a lot of them ended up carbo UNloading on the side of the road. Given that most likely none of us are running off all our glycogen before a race, there's really not a need to carbo load at all.

I actually learned the hard way this past weekend that my body simply won't tolerate a lot of extra pasta and stuff. Fortunately I wasn't racing, but I definitely ended up UNloading some of it just by my stomach rebelling.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    I started running in March and completed my first marathon in October. I used several resources. My three favorites were "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham, "Brain Training for Runners" by Matt Fitzgerald, and ChiRunning by Danny Dyer.
  • Good luck to you! I'm in the 2nd week of my official marathon training, and it's my first one too!
This discussion has been closed.