Too many calories at night

Options
Hi everyone,
So i wanted to ask you guys something. I always workout at the end of the day (between 4pm and 8pm) so i usually eat most of the calories at night. I wanted to know if it's okay to do that since i'm working out because i know that eating most of the calories 3 hours before going to bed is not always good. I would like to know what you think about that and if it is preferable for me to just have "larger" meals during the day ? The issue is sometimes i'm not sure im going to the gym, so i just end up eating a lot at lunch and not working out after.
Thank you guys !

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If it's not I"m screwed- i eat 700+ after 11 PM at night- I work out from 7/8- 11 PM almost every night.

If I didn't eat I'd be consistently several hundred calories under every day.

You're fine.

XXXX calories in 24 hrs. Eat them when you want.
  • fitdreaaming
    Options
    Oh thank you ! I'm reassured !! thanks
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine! I, too, eat most of my calories before bed. :)
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Calories can't tell time!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I agree, whatever works for you.

I like to have a big dinner and dessert every night, so I am quite happy to skip breakfast and call it Intermittent Fasting. On days that I am hungry in the morning, I'll have breakfast, but probably don't have dessert that day.

Your body really doesn't care. It needs fuel to run and as long as you don't run the tank down to empty, you will do just fine :)
  • fitdreaaming
    Options
    Ok so i guess it is okay ! Thank you all for answering !
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well I find that I need to eat a hearty
    breakfast, a medium sized lunch and
    a small dinner to be most successful.
    Even if you work out in the evening-
    does not matter. I also find eating
    the most carbs at breakfast and decrease
    carbs throughout day so at dinner time
    You are eating the least amount! Hope
    This helps!
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    So i wanted to ask you guys something. I always workout at the end of the day (between 4pm and 8pm) so i usually eat most of the calories at night. I wanted to know if it's okay to do that since i'm working out because i know that eating most of the calories 3 hours before going to bed is not always good. I would like to know what you think about that and if it is preferable for me to just have "larger" meals during the day ? The issue is sometimes i'm not sure im going to the gym, so i just end up eating a lot at lunch and not working out after.
    Thank you guys !

I eat at night because I work night shift, it hasn't hindered my goals at all because I stay within my limits and I work out.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    From a purely weight loss perspective meal timing isnt important. You will be fine as long as you are under your calorie totals.

However, by eating large meal and then going to be shortly after you do miss out on some benefits from HGH. Human Growth Hormone is released as you sleep and it usually occurs within an hour of falling asleep, but if you have eaten to close to bed time you have a lot of insulin in your system from the food you ate. If insulin is present your body wont release the much needed HGH.

This is where the old saying about dont eat carbs late or dont eat 4 hours before bed comes from. By doing so you lose out on the HGH benefits.
  • rachjenn
    Options
    My boyfriend lost weight from stopping eating after 7pm. His tea was around 400 cals.

I've cut carbs so I eat these early in a morning when I'm likely to need them as energy throughout the day. I'd say you're fine as long as the food you're eating is protein/fats rather than carbs late at night- this will also help your body repair from the late work-outs.

Hope this helps!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend lost weight from stopping eating after 7pm. His tea was around 400 cals.

I've cut carbs so I eat these early in a morning when I'm likely to need them as energy throughout the day. I'd say you're fine as long as the food you're eating is protein/fats rather than carbs late at night- this will also help your body repair from the late work-outs.

Hope this helps!

Disregard. Carbs at night are fine...

Like mentioned earlier... just stay under your calories for the day and you'll be fine. I eat around 2,000 cals about 1.5 - 2 hours before bed (200+ grams carbs) and I'm by no means an anomaly.