Coughing after running outdoors in cold weather

Options
My doctor says I have developed a variant of asthma after running outside in cold weather. I start coughing about 10 minutes after running and the coughing lasts...and lasts...and lasts. I've been coughing since the first cold snap began around November 1. He has me trying several different inhalers and steroid dose packs. Anyone else plagued with coughing after running in cold air? Thanks pals!

Replies

• hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have exercise induced asthma and I first noticed it when running in cold air. I just try to limit my exercise outdoors on cold days, as well as those with a lot of smog in the summer. Have you tried using a rescue inhaler (albuterol or the like) 15-20 min before exercising outside? That offers me some relief.
  • JohnnyBLean
    JohnnyBLean Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm on three different inhalers. I'm currently using Spiriva, Dulera, and Albuterol (as needed). Once the coughing started in November, even stopping outdoor running didn't make it subside, although occasionally running again definitely worsened it. I will try the Albuterol prior to any exercise, indoors or out. In the past, the cough usually clears up on its own when the weather changes in early spring, but I don't want to go that long with this hacking cough. Thanks for your response.
  • mmouse90
    Options
    Had the same issue and strange enough I have to makes sure I take my allergy medication
  • casiobarnes
    casiobarnes Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This gets me too! I found using a neck gaiter for the first bit really helps. Then, once I've got a bit of distance covered, I can lower it. If I wear it up for the whole run, my face gets wet/cold :sick:

I only have to use my inhaler occasionally though, so your asthma could be much more severe.