Best Ab Exercises

Options
I have been back in the gym for a month and am down 14.5 lbs! Woot! But my problem area is my stomach! Having two kids in two years didnt do much for that area (no to mention both were c-secs)! I am always intimidated in the gym because I cant do many crunches at once. What are some good low key beginner ab exercises or a good ab video that I can do at home?

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of 3. Had a six pack after the first 2 but have never been the same since the third... :( but i'm working on it! :)
    Try mountain climbers, both in a plank position & standing up.
    Also plank twists are amazing for getting rid of your muffin top!
    Stand up pike crunches, 180 jumps, speed skaters & moguls.
    I'm doing all of these 5 days a week for the past month & my core has completely tightened right up!! Good luck!!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I like planks and hello darlin's if you're not too into the crunches.

Planks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I990Wbr1JE&feature=related

Hello Darlin's (This is what we called them when I wrestled I don't know what they're actually called.) Lay flat on your back engage your abs (Think belly button to the floor through your back) with your legs straight lift them about an inch or two off the floor. Hold. Breathe. 15 seconds Keeping your legs up and straight spread your legs to form a V Hold. Breathe. 10 seconds Return to center hold 15 seconds rest and repeat.

If you're at the gym and they have exercise balls: http://exercise.about.com/od/abs/ss/abexercises_3.htm

As a side note- everyone at the gym is too busy worrying about what THEY'RE doing to worry about counting your crunches. You don't have to come out of the gate doing 200 crunches. 10 at time rest do 10 more. It's the only way you're going to get stronger. Stay away from the ab machines at the gym though. You'll get a much better workout (using more muscles) with floor/ball work.

Here's to flat tummies!
    :drinker:
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Start the 200 sit up challenge at www.hundredpushups.com

I could only do a couple of sit ups/crunches when I started and now I can do 30 at least. It is a good starting program to get your abs started. Now I can deal with 30 day shred with no issues on the ab work, but before that challenge, I wouldn't have even come close.
  • DoreenN
    Options
    Planks are good for the core, as well as the bicycle twist for the obliques.
    In all honesty though cardio and diet is the key to a flat stomach. Cause you can do a thousand crunches a day, but if you have flab over that stomach you wont notice.
    If you are looking for something to do at home, Hip Hop Abs is really fun. And you never do a single crunch.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I like planks and hello darlin's if you're not too into the crunches.

Planks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I990Wbr1JE&feature=related

Hello Darlin's (This is what we called them when I wrestled I don't know what they're actually called.) Lay flat on your back engage your abs (Think belly button to the floor through your back) with your legs straight lift them about an inch or two off the floor. Hold. Breathe. 15 seconds Keeping your legs up and straight spread your legs to form a V Hold. Breathe. 10 seconds Return to center hold 15 seconds rest and repeat.

We do that at kick boxing for about 3 minutes. It's brutal!

Reverse crunches are awesome and better for your back also.
    Turkish getups with a dumbell or kettle bell (or any weight really)
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This is a great start!
  • Fineraziel
    Options
    After pregnancy, I heard you need to tone up your "inner abs". To do that, lay on your back knees bent (as you would do normal crunches). Then you breathe deeply : thighten your abs as you breathe in, then breathe out and thighten again as much as you can (hold for about 5 seconds). Then relax, and repeat a few times. ;)