Compound or Isolation

Options
I was just wondering what do you prefer and why? Thanks!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Compound - more muscles engaged = less time in the gym.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Compound.

Then Isolation.

I do both. But compound is like Wal-Mart- without the ethical/moral issues. more things done in less time- one stop shopping.

I use isolation work when I have the time to do round out my workout.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Compound for the main work.

Isolation to round out and hit areas that might need a little extra work.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Compound.

Then Isolation.

I do both. But compound is like Wal-Mart- without the ethical/moral issues. more things done in less time- one stop shopping.

Funny and true for me too
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Compound, I feel that it gives me a bit of aerobic exercise too .
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    All our muscles are made for working together (that's why they are all attached to one another) That is how they work best and get stronger. If you work a muscle in isolation, you will get muscles that are imbalanced. These muscles can pull on joints unevenly and can cause joint pain. Focus on compound.
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I try to use compound movements whenever possible to maximize the time in the gym. Generally I'll use isolated mobility work before and after my workouts to keep everything limber on top of being strong. Speaking completely for my ego, I give many more props to people I see making big compound lifts as opposed to isolation movements. For example: Leg press 400lbs? PFFFT. Back squat that same weight to adequate (adequate being parallel, idc about atg) depth? I'm 'mirin'.
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Are you a novice to weight training? Compound, compound, compound. After you've developed some basal strength then you can start sprinkling in some isolation exercises. If you are new to lifting, doing curls and side laterals will do little if nothing for you. Not to mention you will burn more calories performing compound exercises and will up your BMR when you gain lean muscle mass, if you care about that kind of thing. You ain't gaining any significant LBM doing 5 lb concentration curls!
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, yes, I guess you can say I am sort of a newbie I am following a program just curious mainly.
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Use isolation to really fatigue the muscle after hitting it with compound exercises. That will ensure you can hit the targeted muscle for adequate burn.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you can only do one, do compound.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Isolation lifts are merely accessories to compound. A program based entirely on isolation lifts serves virtually no real purpose except in the realm of physical therapy.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Prefer is an interesting word. For overall results, I prefer compound movements. But I enjoy the feeling (pump and burn) I get doing isolation movements.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    All our muscles are made for working together (that's why they are all attached to one another) That is how they work best and get stronger. If you work a muscle in isolation, you will get muscles that are imbalanced. These muscles can pull on joints unevenly and can cause joint pain. Focus on compound.

incorrect.

Isolation is for filling out and sculpting.

There is NOTHING wrong with isolation work when done in conjunction with compounds or a balanced split program.

Neither is right or wrong- nor best/worst.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Compound.

Then Isolation.

This. I place most emphasis on compounds, then I'll add in some isolation to finish the workout. If I could only do one though it would be compounds, and if I could only do one exercise it would be deadlifts.

Rigger
  • JoRocka
    Options
    This. I place most emphasis on compounds, then I'll add in some isolation to finish the workout. If I could only do one though it would be compounds, and if I could only do one exercise it would be deadlifts.

Rigger

GUILTY!!!!
    If I HAVE to pick... it's definitely
    DEADS
    deads
    deads
    then
    Pull ups
    Squats
    Bench
    OHP