Whats been working for your weight loss

Options
I am new here and am wondering for those who have had success thus far, what has been working for you?
When did you experience the most weight loss? example.. When you drank a lot of water each day or worked out on the stepper. etc as feel free to add me as I need motivating friends people in my corner..
Thanks

Replies

• Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Eating less.
    Moderation rather than a 'diet'.
    Finding some kind of exercise that i enjoy doing and that I stick to.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Exercise, not using food as a reward, and paying attention to portion size.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes, actually measuring food before I eat it, logging absolutely everything, patience.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit….

create one, stick to it, watch the weight come off..

throw in some exercise along with that deficit and you are good to go ….

yes, it really is that simple..I promise :)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Healthy and clean eating, primarily, I still allow for some not so clean and healthy in moderation :wink: . Eating between 1300-1500 calories a day, and hardcore working out at least 5 days a week. I lose or have lost the most weight at the beginning of the journey, as most people do, and have to get my thyroid levels checked regularly. But I'm at a point now where I don't even have a working scale, I'm just aiming for lowering body fat percentage, and a certain dress size.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Healthy and clean eating, primarily, I still allow for some not so clean and healthy in moderation :wink: . Eating between 1300-1500 calories a day, and hardcore working out at least 5 days a week. I lose or have lost the most weight at the beginning of the journey, as most people do, and have to get my thyroid levels checked regularly. But I'm at a point now where I don't even have a working scale, I'm just aiming for lowering body fat percentage, and a certain dress size.

agree with everything except clean eating….clean eating has nothing to do with weight loss, it is the calorie deficit that you create from eating less and working out more.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit….

create one, stick to it, watch the weight come off..

throw in some exercise along with that deficit and you are good to go ….

yes, it really is that simple..I promise :)

You beat me to it! Follow these simple steps, and it'll come off.
    At first, it'll drop real quick, but then it will slow down. Don't panic.
    Stick to your plan and the weight will come off slow and steady.
    You didn't gain the weight overnight, and it's not going to come off overnight.
    Keep at it, and don't ever give up.
    Welcome to the family.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water..*good for my skin too.* and Intermittent fasting. Side note, the intermittent fasting helps me sleep soooo much better at night.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    trying to eat loads of protein
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes, actually measuring food before I eat it, logging absolutely everything, patience.

This is true for me, too. Measuring food, portion control, logging every bite, and moving more is the recipe for success. Drink plenty of water. I have walked, ridden my bike and done yoga as my main exercise. An injury is currently preventing me from circuit training. Be patient. This is a reliable recipe for success but the weight comes off in its own sweet time.:flowerforyou:
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a caloric deficit, which means to eat less calories than you burn. Here is what I'm doing and the weight has been falling off... I lose 2 pounds/week every week.

1200 calories/day (I wouldn't recommend this for men though... it's too low)
    Do not eat back exercise calories.
    Have one day per week to eat at maintenance (1800-2000 calories)
    High protein (40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs)
    Mostly lean meats and veggies
    Intermittent fasting (Leangains approach but this is totally optional... it just makes the 1200 calories seem more filling)
    Strength training 3 times/week
    Cardio (low intensity like walking at 3.5mph 3 times/week)

That's what I do and it WORKS, but so does a simple caloric deficit. You just have to find what you can consistently do for the long run.

Good luck!

ETA: I keep a close eye on my sodium intake so that I don't have weight fluctuations and I drink lots of water :)
  • nseantae
    nseantae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank You!
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    The one thing I want to add...

It is incredibly tempting to sneak a little bit here and there, and not log it in the journal. Be really, really, REALLY honest with yourself about what you are eating. If you are embarrassed by what you are eating, then just close your food log; but be honest with *yourself*. If you get a month down the road, and aren't losing weight, you need that honest record to look at and see where your problem areas are. Having that real, honest information will help you fix the problems, and will get you back on track.
  • helena_jj
    helena_jj Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For me works the following:
    1. Good eating. I have a diet I follow. It's rational healthy eating with some restrictions. It's limited carbs, low fat. For me diet is the only component I really need for weight loss. I wouldn't lose weight if I don't restrict what goes into my mouth.
    2. Though any diet works for me, I have the best results when I eat little salt and don't eat late in the night.
    3. Exercises help me, but I can lose weight without any exercises. But with exercises my body gets better form, they organize me and they make it easier to restrict the food as I don't feel like stuffing myself right after I worked so hard to lose some weight.
    4. And yes, water is necessary for weight loss as the body needs it to dissolve the fat. For me 2 liters a day have always been enough.
    5. Moderation never worked for me. But I think it's my personal problem. It is much easier for me to not eat anything at all than to stop after little amount. I still need to work on it.

You can add me if you want.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I lost a good chunk of my weight in the first 5 months or so (I started in March). I only did cardio at that point. I started with just walking on an incline on my treadmill. As I became stronger and leaner, I started running on the treadmill.

For a while now I've been lifting weights which I highly recommend. This is where I have seen the greatest change in my figure. Heavy compound lifts are the way to go. I still do cardio, but only about 20 minutes or so. I focus more now on the weight lifting.

As for diet, I haven't changed a whole lot. I drink lots of water and cut back on my portion sizes and the junk food. I try to eat more fruits and veggies.

So calorie deficit mixed with cardio and weight lifting is what has worked for me.

Good luck to you!!
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Exercise
    Moderation
    Prayer
    Good friends
    Staying the course
  • thebeautybeneath
    thebeautybeneath Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm new to, and I have been learning that moderation is key. Not necessarily dieting, or starving yourself
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hard work!!!

I noticed when I was burning more than 4000 calories a week and eating clean 6 out of the 7 days (but always at a deficit), this is when I dropped the most! I'm almost at maintenance, YAY! -Oh, and never ate under 1200 calories -EVER.
  • k_stew_
    Options
    My fitbit has been very helpful for my weight loss, but isn't necessary to get the same results. I walk to get 10,000 steps a day (approx. 5 miles) and I eat at a calorie deficit. I try to eat healthy foods so that I feel full and satisfied while staying under my calorie goal. The fitbit simply tracks my steps for me and adjusts my calorie needs based on my daily activity. Also finding non-food related comforts when I have a bad day or want to celebrate something is very helpful.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    All you need to lose weight is a caloric deficit, which means to eat less calories than you burn. Here is what I'm doing and the weight has been falling off... I lose 2 pounds/week every week.

1200 calories/day (I wouldn't recommend this for men though... it's too low)
    Do not eat back exercise calories.
    Have one day per week to eat at maintenance (1800-2000 calories)
    High protein (40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs)
    Mostly lean meats and veggies
    Intermittent fasting (Leangains approach but this is totally optional... it just makes the 1200 calories seem more filling)
    Strength training 3 times/week
    Cardio (low intensity like walking at 3.5mph 3 times/week)

That's what I do and it WORKS, but so does a simple caloric deficit. You just have to find what you can consistently do for the long run.

Good luck!

ETA: I keep a close eye on my sodium intake so that I don't have weight fluctuations and I drink lots of water :)