New to Strength Training, Advice and Tips Appreciated

Options
Okay, so I have dabbled around with weight training in the past...well I own a bar and plates, I just have never really known how to use them!

I have been wanting to start for a while and have been mainly reading forums etc to gain a little information, I really dont want to do this wrong and I know there is alot more to it then just picking up the weights! I dont have access (please read "Im broke and cant afford to go") to a gym so wouldnt be able to ask any trainers for help.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw46.htm

I have across the above compound lift workout (the one by RC26) and wondered if someone familiar with lifting could cast their eye over it. I need to know if this is a good place for me to start. I was thinking of doing this for around six weeks and then assess the results (if this is too short/long a time period please let me know).

I do have a significant amount of fat to lose as well.

Some info you may need in case you fancy throwing some nutrition advice my way:-

Height: 5ft 6
SW: 273
CW: 215
GW: 160ish (to be honest this will vary as I would rather be happy with how my body looks rather than what I weigh)
Body fat %: 37 (I know, horrific! It was previously around 50% two years ago..)

My diary is open too.

Thank you in advance guys, I know it is probably frustrating when us newbies dont really know the basics!

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Check out the Eat, Train, Progress group. You'll find the best advice for what you're trying to do there.
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thank you Grimendale, will check it out.
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! Not only with the weight loss, but the change in mindset that the scale is NOT a true indicator of progress or health/fitness! If you already have a bar and some plates and a place to use them to fight gravity you are good to go! I'd stick to VERY simple exercises at first. Do you have a bench or a rack or just a bar and some plates?
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry - didn't check out the link you put first. That all looks pretty good but I'd ditch the clean and press, the pullover, and the upright row at least at first. Completely unnecessary at first. You can add things like that in later. Great place to start. Search youtube for some demonstrations of proper form on these exercises and start very light. Get your form down a little where you feel somewhat comfortable performing the exercises and then progressively, but slowly add more weight to the bar. That's it! You're on your way! Good luck!
  • Rosannajo88
    Options
    Thank you for the advice Bigwin! Much appreciated.
  • Rosannajo88
    Options
    Extention question!!

I am currently eating at a deficit (approx 1410 cals a day). The thing is from what limited information I have I know I am supposed to be eating at a surplus to gain muscle. This is a bit worrying for me as I have been eating at a deficit now for around six months and have lost 58lbs, I still have a lot of bodyfat (currently 37%) to lose.

As a newbie to lifting should I just keep my diet as it is for an initial five weeks and then reassess?
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Sorry - didn't check out the link you put first. That all looks pretty good but I'd ditch the clean and press, the pullover, and the upright row at least at first. Completely unnecessary at first. You can add things like that in later. Great place to start. Search youtube for some demonstrations of proper form on these exercises and start very light. Get your form down a little where you feel somewhat comfortable performing the exercises and then progressively, but slowly add more weight to the bar. That's it! You're on your way! Good luck!

Eh! I left the clean for later and still don't know how. Don't tell people not to clean!

Good advice, though, otherwise.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I looked at that workout plan on bb.com for about 7 seconds and I already had a migraine. Why must everything on that site be so overcomplicated and convoluted?

I think that keeping your diet as-is would probably be a good move. If you find yourself extremely worn down from whatever program you decide to start, then increase your calories a bit.

Personally I recommend ditching that bb.com program and checking out http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/official-starting-strength-guide-for-fitocrats/.

The primary reason that people are recommended to lift whilst trying to cut fat is to provoke a high-intensity stimulus in the muscles that signals your body to keep them. When you lose weight through diet alone, your body will preferentially sacrifice muscle along with the fat unless you convince it not to.