Getting Started?

Options
Between 2 small children, a month+ long lung infection, steroids and not having worked out much since highschool, well I don't know what I am doing. I am expecting to get the all clear to start working out after I see my doctor in a couple hours. I just don't know where to start. I am WAY out of shape, and a pretty big girl (209 5'1). So, we are starting slow. Real slow. Suggestions? Maybe stuff I can do at home?

Replies

• BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    By "steroids" I'm assuming not anabolic steroids? Lol! Seriously though, just start with basics. Start with stretching and working on your mobility. Walk around the block for 20 minutes. Do bodyweight squats in the living room while the kids watch Bubbleguppies. Just start moving and grow your daily activity over time. Bodyweight exercises are great at first, espeicially while you are carrying extra weight. Start slow, get in the habit of moving more, and once it has become a habit and part of your daily routine you can up the ante and progress to a more formal exercise program or even the gym if time/money allows. Just start! Good luck!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I agree with BigWin. Just start moving. Walk to the mailbox. Was it easy? Go further next time. March in place while watching TV. Become a mall walker! Wall push-ups, squats and lunges during commercials. Try a low impact class or video (Denise Austina nd Leslie Sansone both have walking workouts, believe). Do what you can, then do more when you're able.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I agree - start slow, doing things that you can do at home, short workouts that you can squeeze in either with the kids or when they are napping (or even before they get up in the morning).

Walking is great - and if you've got a smart phone, download an app like Runkeeper that can track your route, telling you your distance and speed - kinda fun to be able to see how far you're going, and when you've increased distance or speed, etc.

Another good app is Nike Training Club. It's full of over 100 exercises from 15-45 minutes long. Some are more cardio, some just use body weight, and some use dumbbells. If you don't have any equipment, no problem, especially as you are just starting - choose the ones that don't use equipment, or just do the moves without them - still a great start and you're moving your body.

A good DVD to start with is Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. It's a 20 minute workout with three levels. You don't have to do it all in 30 days - that's just a title. It's a great into to using dumbbells (although again, you can do the moves without them), and a great mix of some cardio and strength. I started with this DVD (and tried to be Wonder Woman, could barely walk for three days after! Ha!), and was amazed at how quickly my endurance, strength and flexibility improved.

Just make sure you start out slow. You don't want to do too much too soon, get super sore and/or burnt out too quickly. Take rest days, eat well, drink water, get good sleep. Take measurements and photos along with weighing yourself. And have fun trying new things, challenging yourself, and finding strengths and abilities you probably didn't know you had. :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    walking isn't a high anything 'exercise' but it's definitely something.