For those starting out or are having trouble.

Options
I just want to post some of the things that I have learned since I started this journey a few months ago, maybe it will help someone on here that needs some guidance.

Ok first of all, you need to make friends on here to help keep you motivated and on track for your goals. Without their help it will be alot harder. It is already hard enough for most of us or else we wouldnt be here.

Second, make sure that you log everything that you put in your mouth... if it goes in and is digested then you should post it in your food diary.

Third, DRINK WATER! I dont know how to stress this enough. It is essential to weight loss. It helps with building muscle and digesting food, just overall body function. It helps flush all the sodium out of your body for those of you who dont think that it is important to watch sodium. I would say that you should drink 8 glasses of just plain water a day in addition to whatever else you drink. Also if you drink enough water it balances out so that you dont retain as much water. So it is just very important to drink lots of water.

Fourth, read through the forums. If you are having a problem, there is a very good chance that someone else is having the very same problem and can help. If you cant find it, then Post a topic for other to look at. Someone at some point has had the exact same problem that you have and are usually willing to help out if you ask.

Fifth, find what works for you. There are many different ways to lose weight. I am sure if you asked 10 people on here what works for them you will get at least 5 different answers. So you have to find what you are willing to do and can be happy with to continue to lose weight for the long term and maintain it.

Sixth, Change your eating habits for the better. Lean protiens, fresh/frozen veggies. Lower sodium to a healthy level if you havent already. You may not like the changes you have to make at first, but once you do and stick with it for a while, your body starts to crave these foods. You will notice that when you dont eat better that you are sluggish and tired.

Seventh, EXERCISE!... Do something! Park your car at the far end of the parking lot and walk your way to the store. Get a gym membership and actually go this time. Walk your dog/cat, they will appreciate the exercise, be happier, and more obeidient. Find and activity that you like to do that burn calories and do it. Alot of the guys on here like MMA training, the women seem to like zumba alot, just find something that interests you. Sign up for an event, like a cancer walk or something. It is a great way to meet people that are already living healthy lifestyles. They can help you also. Exercise helps your energy level and releases chemicals in the brain that make you feel better overall.

Last but not least, DONT GIVE UP! Change does not happen overnight. There are bound to be things that get in the way and discourage you. Especially if you are you are like me and have a lot of weight to lose. There will be set backs, and plateaus, and days when you cant stick to the plan that you have orginally set. Just remember that when these things do happen is that you can not control them and that you are doing your best to make sure that you are on the right track. It takes time to lose weight, just remember that. One day will not make or break you. It is what you do over a longer span that really counts.

I will add more later as I think about new things to help you so check back every now and then for updates.

Replies

• marniehodges
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! Some great advice there that I've also received from others!
  • lissaguyton
    Options
    Great tips....We all know it but I just cant seem to make a lot of things a habit. Also, the water tip is always good but I'm horrible at drinking water. I have a bad habit of eating ice! I can eat ice all day and dirve my co-workers and family crazy. When the ice melts down I realized I have havent really drank that mucb.

Ok, this week more water!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great words! You have been such an encouraging friend to me on here!! Thanks so much. Your elliptical workouts always challenge me to push myself further, faster, harder.

You are having so much success, and I know you will keep at being healthy and fit even after you lose the weight :)
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Great advice! Thanks for sharing this. :)
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Well Said! <<<applauding>>>
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    M-make short term goals
    O-out with the negative thoughts
    T-think of why you want it
    I-imagine how you will feel
    V-visualize the future you
    A-acknowledge your successes
    T-treat yourself with respect
    I-investigate new ideas and foods
    O-observe your healthy lifestyle
    N-never give up and never give in
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    Great tips....We all know it but I just cant seem to make a lot of things a habit. Also, the water tip is always good but I'm horrible at drinking water. I have a bad habit of eating ice! I can eat ice all day and dirve my co-workers and family crazy. When the ice melts down I realized I have havent really drank that mucb.

Ok, this week more water!

I am a total ice eater, too (and not good at drinking enough water). The worse is when I am work because I work in a restaurant and there is a huge ice bin near me all the time. I don't do it anywhere else but there. But when it is there, I cannot control the urges, I HAVE to have it. Somtimes I have to chew a piece of sugarless gum just to stop myself from chomping on ice. I get tired of it when I can't stop, and I worry about my teeth! I believe it is because I am anemic. I have been trying to bring up my iron levels. I used to be much more anemic and the ice cravings were worse then, it was outside of work too back then -- I would have to go to the conveniece store and buy a big cup of ice. I did this several times a day. I have read that iron causes this, and believe it or not dirt cravings, too. Thanks goodness I have never craved dirt! Have you ever had your iron checked? Or do you track your iron? Just a thought.

Lucy
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Really good tips :) thanks for sharing!
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Great words! You have been such an encouraging friend to me on here!! Thanks so much. Your elliptical workouts always challenge me to push myself further, faster, harder.

You are having so much success, and I know you will keep at being healthy and fit even after you lose the weight :)

Thanks,

You just made my day, errr, or night. If I can do all this working 12hr shifts overnight with an hour commute each way, I know that other people can too. I am glad to be an inspiration, Didnt even know I was. Just trying to get this weight gone for good this time and make it stay away. I used to be in such great shape. Now I want to be in even better shape then before now that I have the tools to do so.
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Great post and all soooo true. Thanks for putting it out there....:glasses:
  • meli173
    Options
    Thank you VERY much! Great advice! :wink:
  • johnthefatman
    Options
    All good stuff - I would just add that when trying to change eating habits you don't have to do it all at once - you can make changes every week - and plan you food shopping ahead.

On the eating ice thing it may be a good idea - I saw some research recently that suggested that drinking 8 x 8oz iced water burnt 100 cals more than 8x8oz warm water just because we have to burn more to heat it up!
  • leanmass24
    Options
    Hmm.... For some reason It is not letting me go back and edit my post so I guess it will stay as is.
  • TyPryor
    TyPryor Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, first post here. 25 year old teacher and coach in Jacksonville, Florida, trying to get back into playing weight.

I've been using the App for a week now with good results, but what do you do about the 8-9pm cravings? This is the toughest part for me.

Also, I've been cutting my meals down to below 500 calories each and I find when I finish I'm still incredibly hungry. I understand hunger will be a part of dieting and I'm wondering what I can do to be more full after each meal. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Great post hun, thanks!! :-)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good advice.Thanks for sharing.I know it will help ones who are starting out and need some help.Also a reminder for those of us who have a bad day here or there.
    Jane
  • leanmass24
    Options
    Bump for day people