Christmas day

Options
So . . I thought I would 'prepare' for Christmas day - and 'Pre log' what I will eat so I know how over I am likely to go - and in turn, how much exercise to do building up to the big day so that I dont gain massively.

I only plan on eating what I want for Xmas day and boxing day, and figure a few good exercise days before and after will really help . . .

So, I just logged a nice breakfast of crumpets and butter , A turkey dinner with roasties and trimmings, a dessert of profiteroles, 2 turkey sandwiches for later - with mayo. A whole boxof ferrero rochet ... 30 pieces of Hersheys cookies and creme kisses (to DIE for!). 2 mince pies and double cream ...yum! AND 2 plates of cheese n biscuits.

will take me over by 4,500 . . .oops! but will be OH SO WORTH IT!

So even if I dont do extra excercise I would gain 1lb and a quarter from this indulgence - and after several weeks at 1,200 I'm not sure I would manage all this.

I think doing this has really helped me visualise just how much extra i can eat - and how it wont kill me just for 1 day .. or two -

47478456.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My question is - how are you preparing for your Christmas binge - if indeed you are binging at all?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing...it's one day. One day is absolutely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. You don't need to do unplanned exercises to make up for it...you don't need to do anything except enjoy yourself and your family and love them and share with them. One day cannot derail anything and has zero impact on the bigger picture.

This past Thanksgiving was the last time I ever saw my dad alive...he died unexpectedly of a heart attack last week today at the ripe old age of 61. I am thankful that I spent Thanksgiving with my dad and enjoying each others company...and having a bit too much to eat and a bit too much to drink. I am thankful that we sat across from each other and talked and laughed and toasted...I'm thankful for the couple of Old Fashions we shared on the patio while the turkey was cooking. I'm thankful that I didn't worry and obsess about how many calories I was consuming or how much exercise I needed to do, etc...I just enjoyed that day and unfortunately it was my last with my dad. You just never know...just enjoy the day.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

This past Thanksgiving was the last time I ever saw my dad alive...he died unexpectedly of a heart attack last week today at the ripe old age of 61. I am thankful that I spent Thanksgiving with my dad and enjoying each others company...and having a bit too much to eat and a bit too much to drink. I am thankful that we sat across from each other and talked and laughed and toasted...I'm thankful for the couple of Old Fashions we shared on the patio while the turkey was cooking. I'm thankful that I didn't worry and obsess about how many calories I was consuming or how much exercise I needed to do, etc...I just enjoyed that day and unfortunately it was my last with my dad. You just never know...just enjoy the day.

This made me cry. I'm sorry for your loss. The best times I have with my dad when I see him are drinking by the bonfire or at 2 am on the beach. Glad you have that memory.

To the OP, I don't log the entire week. I rarely get to see my family and it becomes an unnecessary concern.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    :yawn:

These threads will never die. The important thing is to keep it in perspective, just as cwolfman13 says. It's ONE DAY, and sweating over it is only going to make you enjoy it less.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stick to my usual. I am just not that into holiday food. Losing my last three pounds is more important to me. I don't want to eat a ton and have to work extra just to have to lose pounds again that I had lost prior. So I will happily eat as normal.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Conscientiously planning to indulge isn't a binge.
  • SpookyElectric
    SpookyElectric Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing...it's one day. One day is absolutely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. You don't need to do unplanned exercises to make up for it...you don't need to do anything except enjoy yourself and your family and love them and share with them. One day cannot derail anything and has zero impact on the bigger picture.

I am so sorry for your loss. I completely agree - it's once a year, enjoy it and don't stress. In my book, you only regret the things you DIDN'T do in life, so live, laugh amd love life, it's far too short!
  • LaurenEllexx
    LaurenEllexx Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not pre-planning for one day of binge eating. Like others have said, it's just one day xD

So, I plan to eat and eat and then get back on track the next day
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others in saying that the one day won't make or break anything. Just enjoy yourself and get back to it after the holiday. I'm going to try to stay near(ish) my calorie goals, but I'm not going to get too worked up over it.

Cwolfman, I'm so sorry for your loss.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I didn't pre-plan my Thanksgiving day indulges but I did log them. The only thing I did pre-plan was a nice long bike ride on the day. I figured it would be my last outside one for the year. I was right. So I'm very glad I did it as it made the day happy and negated the indulgence later. We don't have a large family (just the 3 of us) so spending a ton of time together on special days isn't always best. We tend to rub each wrong after too much time together. What I have done is make our holiday meals smaller and healthier in general. The small indulgence then isn't such a big deal. For Christmas, we will have ham (baked with mango orange fruit only jam for a glaze), baked plain sweet potatoes, bake fingerling potatoes and gravy for the boys, butter for me, fresh cranberry sauce, green beans, corn, and can't decide if to make a pumpkin pie or an apple pie or something else for Xmas. My hubby wants me to bake like crazy this weekend but I'm not feeling it. Its figuring out the exercise for the day. I know I’ll be walking at least 30 minutes but will probably try for another hour or so throughout the day. Our family indulgence in the past has been going to see a movie together. We'll see if we do that.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm eating what I want. I tried this on Thanksgiving and got full off very little food, was kinda disapprointed because in the past I could eat way more (and was allowing myself to splurge). Sometimes what we plan doesn't always happen that way. But sounds as though you will be enjoying it and reading all of that yummy food made me drool a bit! :smile:
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options

That's beautiful. I'm so sorry. I am so glad though that your memories of your dad are like this and you didnt ever have to see him suffer. I wish you a peaceful christmas x
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Because I've fully changed my lifestyle and eating habits I doubt I'll binge on Christmas. Just enjoy some food with family and maybe even indulge in some desserts, which I rarely do these days.
    If you eat 4500 calories in one day you are going to fill so ill you won't ever want to binge again...so enjoy!!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you eat 4500 calories in one day you are going to fill so ill you won't ever want to binge again...so enjoy!!

Nope, not in my experience.
  • majica8
    majica8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Not planning on binging tbh. For a start I'll feel guilty if I go over by too much. Over the last year I've learned that I don't need to eat until I want to throw up. Christmas can be an excuse to eat anything, but it doesn't mean you have to.
    Last Christmas I went over by less than 100 calories, and I didn't exercise at all. Don't see this year being much different, only I might exercise and could even end up being under goal for the day.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Here's to cwolfman13's dad! :drinker:
    So sorry for your loss.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Christmas isn't really a huge "eating day" for my family, we'll go to the in-laws on Christmas Eve, mom-in-law makes a big breakfast, complete with hash brown casserole and bacon and eggs and biscuits and all that fun stuff. Christmas we'll go visit family members but eat normal. Maybe have some pies and cakes, but it's more about spending time with family than anything. If I know I'm going to be eating a ton (for example, New Years Eve we ring in the new year at a buffet), I'll halfheartedly attempt to log, but I don't sweat the details. Just get back to normal the next day and move on.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options

The last Thanksgiving I spent with my dad was at my house with my boyfriend, now husband, and it was the first turkey I ever made. Of course, it was under-cooked so when my dad arrived he shoved it back in the oven. But then it got done and I have a picture of him cutting it. That was 11 years ago.....i miss him so very much.

I'm so sorry for your loss :(