I got asked if I was pregnant tonight!!!

Options
So tonight at a dinner party that we go to every other Wednesday a friend brought another friend I hadn't seen in about a year. I don't believe I weight any more or less then when I seen that person last time and he truthfully asked if I was pregnant. I could tell he felt horrible when I said no and everyone in the room was like OMG!!! I know things like this shouldn't bother me but this will stay with me for a while. I'm going to try to use this as motivation towards my goal. Funny thing was one of the other girls at the dinner party announced she was pregnant.....the guy tried to save himself by saying he didn't know who it was just that he sensed it was in the air LOL

Have you ever been asked if you were pregnant before when you weren't and how did you handle it?

Replies

• nseantae
    nseantae Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I probably would have said yes I am pregnant! and the when they said when are you due? I would say long overdue I been trying to get this weight off for years. Thanks for reminding me its time for it to go! because it keeps trying to stay!! and laughed it off they probably would have felt worse than you at that point.

needless to say you are working on it so it wont be long that it will be gone!
  • chellycakes
    chellycakes Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I had an apron on pretty tight and I was sitting on a counter and a coworker touched my belly and asked if I was pregnant. :-(. I hate people touching me anyway eew lol.
  • mimimerlot
    mimimerlot Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been asked twice, both times the people were strangers. Once it was my husbands hair stylist and a customer at work. (I worked in the baby furniture dept haha) When the customer asked me I was kind of shocked and just said "I'm not pregnant, just fat" I REALLY cannot wrap my head around why people would ask, it's not like it's their business even if I am. And I am fat all over not just my tummy so I don't get why they asked.
  • ShellMarie35
    ShellMarie35 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This actually happened to me when I was in high school. I was at work and one of my coworkers was in her 20s or 30s and she was pregnant. A customer came in and asked me if I was pregnant too. I was shocked and just replied a no and walked away. When I told my friends they just tried to make me feel better about it by turning it into a joke, but soon enough a rumor was going around school that I was pregnant.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I have never been asked this and I have been fat/obese for the majority of my life.

Anyone who asks this of ANYONE is a social moron and deserves to be publicly humiliated...JMHO.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I had an apron on pretty tight and I was sitting on a counter and a coworker touched my belly and asked if I was pregnant. :-(. I hate people touching me anyway eew lol.

Ha! I probably would've "touched" her in the face...
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    as horrible as it is....try being a guy and getting asked that...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it could very well have been whatever you were wearing. I look very pregnant in certain clothing, but not at all pregnant in other clothing. And I don't carry more weight in my tummy than anywhere else.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    Don't worry about this - I got this asked too some 4 month ago and I'm a male :D
  • madaboutmitch
    Options
    I was asked that question 30 years ago, and I still haven't forgotten it. That is the worst question anyone could ask. I know it hurts, but the person is clearly a social idiot. I wish there was a really funny way to answer it. Sorry it happened to you. Chalk it up to ignorance!
  • christinemadden0223
    Options
    I was really "puffy" one day and got asked if I was pregnant and I said no. Found out two weeks later I was! Look out!!!!!
  • romanaXOX
    romanaXOX Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Been there!! It's brutal... :(
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Only once, when my daughter was about 3 months old and I was wearing an empire line maxi dress and bending over, so the material kind of went out. As if I'd be pregnant already when I had a 3 month old! I was bending over her pram ffs!

I am pregnant now with my third and it took people a while to work out! I do hate when people say 'oh, you're looking big today'. Cheers.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I can beat that.

When I was 22, someone asked me if I was pregnant when I was drunk at the bar. Wakeup call - lay off the Budweiser! :wink:

If you're looking at my profile picture and are too scared to ask, yes, I am pregnant right now - bahahaha.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ouch. Sorry you had that happen. But yes, use it to motivate you to make some changes. Best of luck!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Yep, I was asked quite a few times before I started losing weight. A senior asked me a few weeks ago... lol I've learned to shrug it off.

I just said "Nope, not pregnant!"
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    oh yes. There have been people that have asked me and there have been people that just assumed and then there were people that over heard the people that assumed I was and also put input in that. And there have been people that assumed I already had kids because of the way I looked. I have very low self esteem as it is and it just tore me apart to the people that actually asked I just shyly told them no and then got angry about it later and then cried about it when i got home and for the people that assumed I was I just said nothing and for the other people that over heard the people that assumed I just listened to what they said walked away got angry about it and then cried later in the car and the people that assumed I already had a kid I just told them no you must be thinking of someone else. And it just angers me because all 99% of the people that asked or assumed I was pregnant or that I had kids are much larger then I am which made me angry because it's like really??? Are you kidding me? And it's like unless you weigh like 115lbs in this society and you have a belly that oh your pregnant, just automatically. It just upsets me especially when I am trying my hardest to lose weight. But it seems like you took it much better then I did and yeah you will keep it with you for awhile it's not something you really forget. And I am glad your taking it as motivation as well. Good for you girl :) Good luck on your journey as well.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I am pregnant now with my third and it took people a while to work out! I do hate when people say 'oh, you're looking big today'. Cheers.

I had a patient ask me the other day, "Putting on the pounds, eh?" He said it with a wink so I knew he meant my pregnant belly. But really.
  • SanDoThis
    Options
    It happens and it can hurt! :-( After having 4 kids and finally getting on track and losing weight and gaining a littl bit of confidence in myself, I was in the work elevator with a very pregnant coworker and a stranger worker, well she asked my friend when she was due, and then asked me when I was due! :-( yes I was bummed out for the rest of they day! So hard to get rid of that tummy after having babies!
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    if you look at my profile pics you will see why I used to get asked if I was pg all the time! Now that i finally lost my tummy, my 7yr old graciously says "well at least no one will ask if you are pregnant any more mommy!" lol kids, gotta love em!

I always said no and prob felt as crappy as the person who asked!

or you can look here at my first success post

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1154056-30-lbs-gone