Pregnant and Obese

Options
Hello,
I am 15 weeks pregnant and I have already gain the amount my OB said for whole pregnancy. She has done some research and actually does not only want me not to gain any more but says it would better if I lose a pound a week. I have my amounts of food I need daily and I am on prenatal vitamins. I just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this and if they have had any luck or suggestions.

Replies

• W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    My suggestion is to Listen To Your Doctor!

If you dont like what your doctor is saying. Get a 2nd opinion by ...... wait for it..........

ANOTHER DOCTOR!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to Listen To Your Doctor!

If you dont like what your doctor is saying. Get a 2nd opinion by ...... wait for it..........

ANOTHER DOCTOR!

Yep. It's possible, and if your doctor recommends it for you, it's probably safe. I've known women in real life that ended up weighing less at 9 months pregnant than they did when they found out they were pregnant.

One thing I would recommend is to eat a wide variety of foods. Of course, cravings are going to be all over the place, but give your baby adequate nutrition.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand your question: are you looking for ideas for HOW to follow your doctor's advice? If so, get the clearance to exercise and walk, walk, walk! (Or do some other exercise that you safely enjoy.) If you are feeling super-hungry, try to snack on healthy, nutritious foods. Reduce the fatty/salty foods from your diet to head off pre-eclampsia. For example, I switched potato chips for baby carrots.

If you are wanting to know if you should try to LOSE weight while pregnant, do what Relentless said and get a second opinion.

Good luck, and congrats! :flowerforyou:
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I am 15 weeks pregnant and I have already gain the amount my OB said for whole pregnancy. She has done some research and actually does not only want me not to gain any more but says it would better if I lose a pound a week. I have my amounts of food I need daily and I am on prenatal vitamins. I just wanted to know if anyone else has gone through this and if they have had any luck or suggestions.

I was 264lbs when I got pregnant with my son and my OB advised to gain about 20-25lbs. I ended up gaining 29lbs. I gave birth at 293. After I gave birth I lost 29 lbs all and then gained 10lbs back within a month. Now back on the wagon ive lost 46lbs and counting....

what I did was not eat late at night, stay away from fast food(as much as possible), drink plenty of water and eat healthier just as you would if you were not pregnant. Thats about all you can do. you will gain weight of course as your baby grows...I mean if you gain more than what SHE said what, she's nt going to deliver your baby?!?

edited to add: WALK! 15-20min/day if possible
  • Hooyah25
    Options
    I have to agree. Walking around the block a time or two would help so much. I had the same issue as well. My OB said that I need to stop eating so many carbs. But that's all I wanted to eat!
  • getting_fit_erin
    Options
    I was 275 when I first got pregnant and I didn't gain any weight. After I gave birth I was around 260. You're only required to eat an extra 300ish calories when pregnant and I was eating way too many calories before I got pregnant so I just never "upped" my calorie intake. My son was 7lbs 11oz and perfect :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've gained for sure especially during the 2nd trimester. I know the recommendation is to not gain, but my MD nor the nurse practioners have not pushed for me to lose weight. I've had weeks were I lost and there was no concern, and weeks were I gained and there was no concern as the baby is growing and his heart beat is steady.

I really think it depends on your individual situation. Walk if you can, drink tons of water, and make sure you are getting adequate protein.
  • mommyof4cpa
    mommyof4cpa Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Other advice : Get a specific eating plans from your OB - not just calorie goals but macro goals (carbs/fat/protein). If the OB won't do it, get a referral to a nutritionist that specializes in prenatal nutrition.
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant at 265 lbs. The day I delivered her I was 266 lbs. So i gained 1 pound. I didnt count calories and i wasnt trying to lose weight. What i did was change my entire eating habits. I had a little person inside of me and i didnt want her to eat junk, i wanted to eat healthy for her. I cut out all soda and only drank water and milk, i ate very little chips and processed foods. I ate LOTS of fruits and veggies. I honestly didnt care about gaining weight at all, i just cared about eating as healthy as i could for my baby. Once she was born i went back to my old eating habits and gained 10 lbs. Then i got pregant with my son and gained 7 lbs total because of the same reasoning. Now Ive changed my lifestyle because i care more about myself now too. But yes, its possible.
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    There is a member here, TheFitHooker, who lost weight while pregnant. I think I render reading her doctor told her how many calories to eat. Remember that will be different for everybody. I ate whenever I was hungry, but tried to eat a lot of veggies and fruit. I gained about 15 pounds, but gained almost 10 when going through IVF.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my second my doc told me to lose weight. I lost and gained 20lbs that pregnancy and had a healthy 10lb baby girl :D
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Definitely listen to your doctor.

I was actually quite thin when I got pregnant, but had such awful morning sickness that going into my third trimester, I weighed 10 pounds less than when I got pregnant. I ended up gaining 55 pounds in those last three months (ALL belly) and had a very healthy baby.

My doctor was actually telling me to eat candy bars because I could keep them down. lol It was pretty awful.
  • bol1989
    Options
    Hello all, I am new here. Looking for support from anybody that is willing! Add me please
  • HEATHERB500
    HEATHERB500 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for all the support. I have some great advice and done some research on my own and found out it is safe to lose if I get adequate nutrition. So I am going to get my carbs from vegetables, 1000 mg of calcium, and 100g of lean protein. I also take a prenatal vitamin. And I am going to work out for at least 45 mins a day. I would love to add anyone who doesn't mind offering positive support. ThanksAgain
  • mom2my4boys
    mom2my4boys Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was about 200lbs when i got pregnant with twins. At the end of my pregnancy, i weighed 17lbs less than pre-pregnancy weight. My twins (combined) weight was close to 10lbs, they were 6 weeks early and healthy. Nobody suggested that i lose weight during my pregnancy, that's just the way it worked out for me. I think i just felt so stretched and stuffed that i ended up not eating as much or something. I just wanted to share with you that it's very possible to lose weight and have a healthy baby. Good luck to you and i hope you'll come back and share some pics of your babe!