house work

Options
:smile: Hi everyone, how many calories do you think house work burn, i hoover each day and tidy up,, up and down the stairs and also running round after a two year old, can you count it as exercise, i have 1200 cal aday.

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    it depends... do you have your settings as sedentary or lightly active. If sedentary yes go ahead and count it.
  • valerierackly
    Options
    i add it to mine. my settings are on seditary though as i probably do spend a lot of time sitting around. I give myself a time-limit on my housework and i do it quickly to raise my heart-rate etc. also when i go shopping and walking the dog, and taking the kids to school, i try to go as quickly as i can as you burn more the more effort you put into it.
  • sylviablakely
    sylviablakely Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi - I add ironing to my diary as I do lots every day and it all adds up - see http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/tips/housework_workouts.htm for an estimate of what you may be burning.:flowerforyou:
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I don't log things that I would consider normal activity, housework, DIY, sex as I assume these would be taken into account of in the original calculations.
    If I did over and above 'normal' levels eg. worked as a cleaner then I would
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hi - I add ironing to my diary as I do lots every day and it all adds up - see http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/exercise/tips/housework_workouts.htm for an estimate of what you may be burning.:flowerforyou:

Be careful with calories burned during ironing.

It states approximately 113 calories burned for the hour, however, make sure you take off the 60 calories that you would burn if you were just to be sitting there as MFP has already accounted for it, that then equates to 53 calories burned for an hour's worth of ironing.

To the OP, personally, I never include housework in my exercise, I only include exercises that I specifically set out to do as my workouts.
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation to you - SAHM with 2 toddlers - but I've just set my activity level to "light" (the one with lots of standing like shop assistant) and only log the activity as exercise if I've done a huge amount of it (like a 2 hour walk, cooking for a party, having a big clear-up after a playdate, etc...)