Suggestions needed based on Two Weeks in

Options
Hello,

I started participating in MFP about 2 weeks ago. Rather than immediately changing everything on day 1 (despite my temptation), I decided to try to be myself and just log and observe myself for two weeks first and then decide what changes I can sensibly make to meet my goal. I have learned some interesting things about myself I thought I'd share:

1. I find it pretty easy to keep disciplined to log daily.
2. Exception to #1 is when I've gone hog wild and feel ashamed and don't want to log the truth.
3. It feels important to log all foods, no matter what, and when I do, the shame seems to fade somewhat if I've gone wild.
4. Wine is WAY more caloric than I thought.
5. Converse to #4: six ounces of wine is MUCH less than I thought!!
6. I don't like exercise and haven't exercised at all in week two; Gotta do something about that. Not sure what....
7. I eat foods that are pretty clean already, it's the quantity I eat that needs to be addressed.
8. Night time sneaking and nibbling is out of control, I do well until about 3:00 every day.

Plan to slowly implement:
1. Figure out a reward or bribe to make myself exercise. Right now when I walk, I walk three miles in about 45 minutes and enjoy it, but it's a mental struggle to take that first step. I just can't figure out how to permanently make exercise a regular, enjoyable part of my day. (Asked for a fitbit for Christmas. I'm a numbers person, maybe that will help???)
2. Buy a food scale
3. Cut back on alcohol.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I know I can do this, I just feel like I'm at a "So what next?" place.

Replies

• Ozzzy66
    Ozzzy66 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What's next? Put your plan into action, it is all just words until you do it. Just remember you will stall at some point or have a moment of weakness, just keep going. Good luck!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I'd move the food scale purchase up to #2
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's all going to come down to motivation and determination. The fact that you ask "whats next" and your planning 1-3 steps points out that you may not be motivated to do this process yet. Having action steps are wonderful, but why can't you implement all of them at once? You need a food scale if you have any chance of logging your foods accurately...
  • DiamondRubyMom
    DiamondRubyMom Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good foundation. The best part of this site is that it enables you to truly see what you are eating. As far as the exercise goes, I recommend setting a specific time everyday to do it. Personally I exercise in the morning but as a stay at home mom, I'm easily distracted. So I put on my exercise clothes first thing. If I make it to lunch without exercising I feel pretty foolish in my exercise clothes. Anyway it's enough to get me moving. Finally drink your water. Eight cups of fluid a day can be really helpful. I find that it helps me stay energetic and takes the weight off faster. Good Luck!
  • Sophieanna17
    Sophieanna17 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of just immediately putting on the exercise clothes!!! Thanks!

I should have clarified that my to-do list isn't prioritized, I'm doing all three. I just numbered them because that's my habit (I'm an accountant, I love a numbered list.)

I saw a water bottle at the drug store that had a clicker on the lid to count the number of refills.

I will buy that next week.

Kidding!! I will buy that today. Yes it's $10 and I could probably get it somewhere else for less but I will get it today. That should help with the suggestion to drink all water. I don't do that either.

Thanks these are great suggestions!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    RE: Exercise.

Find something you like doing. It doesn't matter so much what it is. Just do something you like doing that will get your heart rate up. Walking, riding a bike, swimming, dancing, running, whatever. That will make it easier to do on a consistent basis.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of just immediately putting on the exercise clothes!!! Thanks!

I should have clarified that my to-do list isn't prioritized, I'm doing all three. I just numbered them because that's my habit (I'm an accountant, I love a numbered list.)

I saw a water bottle at the drug store that had a clicker on the lid to count the number of refills.

I will buy that next week.

Kidding!! I will buy that today. Yes it's $10 and I could probably get it somewhere else for less but I will get it today. That should help with the suggestion to drink all water. I don't do that either.

Thanks these are great suggestions!

Good to hear. Proud of you for starting. One day at a time, and you'll get where you want to go. A tip on the calorie intake, it took me some trial and error to find the right point in which my body would lose weight. Get plenty of water; in fact shoot for more than 8 cups per day, go for 12.

Good Luck!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Im glad that you want to get healthy for your self. But when it coems to exercise if you dont want to do it. Meaning if you dont like doing nothing at all then you can eat a calorie deficit for your height and weight and still lose weight. Its that simple 70-80% comes from eating at a calorie deficit alone. Not saying having a reward system in place wouldnt work but dont you think in a way you will only set your self up for having a reward for everything you need to accomplish for the rest of your life? When I first joined I never said Im going to reward my self once I lose the weight I just said ok need to lose weight and when it happens it happens......Btw yes it sucks seeing only 5-6 ozs of wine. I used to consume easily 16-20 a night so that was a real set back and now I really dont drink it unless its in my calorie goal for the day with the exceptions of the holidays....best of luck its all trial and error and sounds like you are in the "trial" part
  • Sophieanna17
    Options
    It makes me feel good that you get it....I am in the 16-20 Oz boat now, and I didn't even realize it until I started logging two weeks ago!! Ugh. Cutting back started pretty much immediately. Had 12 Oz last night. I have wine to relax so now I skip the first glass and get in my hot tub instead. That had helped tremendously! Reductions to continue!

I started MFP because my father had a heart attack this summer and nearly died. If that wasn't motivation enough, I have realized that he probably will never be the same. It breaks my heart and I don't want to be like him. I would never ever tell him that but it's true. That is my motivation and my reward. Health. I hopefully will have good health for a long time, it's never too late, and now is the time.

Oh! One other thing I've done already-made an appointment for 1/8 (soonest I could get) for a comprehensive physical. I'm scared and hopeful at the same time. Benchmarks are good! (More numbers too!)

I do think I'm ready and am already "doing".... I just wanted to share my observations at two weeks in and see what you all think so far and what you suggest. People here are really nice and caring which I have also learned and that should have been on my numbered list also!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I am also a numbers person and the Fitbit Zip has been my motivator to get moving. When I lost mine, i felt lost. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Highly recommend if you couldn't tell. Make sure to keep your receipt, if you have any issues are lose it they will replace it for free with receipt. Awesome customer service. If you get a Zip wear it inward instead of outward (that's how I lost mine.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You are starting just like I did! I did nothing but food logging for a month and began eating at a deficit just to find my sweet spot - and I did.

Then, I knew I needed exercise and just absolutely shuddered to think of more "cardio" I could try and do and make myself like it. Well that wasn't happening so I began digging. I ran across this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics

I hadn't done anything like that in my life .. but it was my ONE thing turns out. I love it and can't wait for my next lifting day :) I do it 3x a week and NO cardio (blech) .. I will eventually have to incorporate but for now I am happy this way.

You will start to see patterns in your habits and nature - don't take them away, just build around them :) I drink wine, eat ice cream etc.. I just plug those in first and work everything else around it. I found my sweet spot at 1700 calories per day (regardless if I work out). Good luck to you!!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    As a fellow numbers person who also struggles with exercise, I would suggest using an app where you can track your goals, whatever they may be (for me I originally signed up for a 5k walk--yes, walk, I was really out of shape--and really liked seeing my times improve). I am still using that app, map my run, and am trying to do c25k. My other suggestion is to get a good measuring tape from amazon or the like (I think mine is the myo tape) and track your measurements. At times when my scale isn't budging, seeing those numbers go down has kept me going.
  • Sophieanna17
    Options
    Wow!! I never thought of lifting!!! That actually looks interesting and doable. I spent the afternoon reading all 20 pages of that thread. Those ladies are such an inspiration! (And I could count and log my activity on a beloved spreadsheet!!!)

I also like the idea of tracking goals on an app. I will look at Map My Walk, thanks! I just ordered the measuring tape from amazon and it will be here with free shipping before tomorrow night. Yikes and yay!

These ideas are all wonderful, thanks!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It makes me feel good that you get it....I am in the 16-20 Oz boat now, and I didn't even realize it until I started logging two weeks ago!! Ugh. Cutting back started pretty much immediately. Had 12 Oz last night. I have wine to relax so now I skip the first glass and get in my hot tub instead. That had helped tremendously! Reductions to continue!

I started MFP because my father had a heart attack this summer and nearly died. If that wasn't motivation enough, I have realized that he probably will never be the same. It breaks my heart and I don't want to be like him. I would never ever tell him that but it's true. That is my motivation and my reward. Health. I hopefully will have good health for a long time, it's never too late, and now is the time.

Oh! One other thing I've done already-made an appointment for 1/8 (soonest I could get) for a comprehensive physical. I'm scared and hopeful at the same time. Benchmarks are good! (More numbers too!)

I do think I'm ready and am already "doing".... I just wanted to share my observations at two weeks in and see what you all think so far and what you suggest. People here are really nice and caring which I have also learned and that should have been on my numbered list also!

I know what you mean and how you feel about the health issues!!! After coming to realization I am obese and are only going to become more obese like other family members that I decided to take a stand for my self. And realized Im the only one who will change that. I want to show my girls that if you put your mind to something including being healthy you can do it. I always seemed to think its easier being lazy and getting fat so why bother but its truly not that hard to get up and get moving.....As Ive suggested to another poster look at you tube videos and check out the work out ones and see what you like or how clambert1273 suggested try doing weights. I know alot of ladies who dont like cardio like lifting more. Also another suggestion just get up every half hour and walk around home the yard the work place for about 5-10 mins and thatll help get the better endurance for your heart. Best of luck and remember in time everything will start to change
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Wow!! I never thought of lifting!!! That actually looks interesting and doable. I spent the afternoon reading all 20 pages of that thread. Those ladies are such an inspiration! (And I could count and log my activity on a beloved spreadsheet!!!)

I also like the idea of tracking goals on an app. I will look at Map My Walk, thanks! I just ordered the measuring tape from amazon and it will be here with free shipping before tomorrow night. Yikes and yay!

These ideas are all wonderful, thanks!

lol worst that happens is you don't like it but I have a feeling you are similar to me ;) That thread was just jaw dropping and after reading it all it was like.. well duh lol I repurposed my unused dining room and it is my weight room - squat rack and all :) Best thing I have ever done for myself!!!!!!

I use the New Rules of Lifting for Women (just seemed to fit my style) but there are many different options:

You are your own gym
    body tby you
    StrongLifts
    Starting Strength (I recommend this regardless)

I also joined the group Eat, Train, Progress here at MFP. It is ran by 2 really knowledgeable people that help anyone starting strength training or progressing. It has seriously changed my way of life and thinking :)

You can add me as a friend if you like - I have a lot of lifters and even more that aren't :) I truly wish you the best!
  • Sophieanna17
    Options
    Thank you!!! I just downloaded the New Rules of Lifting for women and can't wait to devour it!!!

I appreciate everyone's support and suggestions.

Good for you for repurposing your dining room, it's very symbolic. You don't focus on eating in that room, you focus on your body. I love it!!!