should I be concerned about my thyroid?

Options
I have had it checked in the past...normal. But I have been doing some reading and have learned that some of the foods that are truly my staples (spinach and broccoli) interfer with the absorption of iodine (necessary for normal thyroid function). Anyone know anything about this subject that can help me understand?

Replies

• Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Goitrogenic foods can interfere with thyroid function, but my understanding is that it's not too big of a problem unless you already have compromised thyroid function. Additionally, they are only problematic in their raw state. Even lightly cooked, they are perfectly fine.
  • rosemary98
    Options
    Goitrogenic foods can interfere with thyroid function, but my understanding is that it's not too big of a problem unless you already have compromised thyroid function. Additionally, they are only problematic in their raw state. Even lightly cooked, they are perfectly fine.

Thanks for the response. I always seem the heck out of my broccoli...I actually hate it raw. Even spinach, i steam.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Those foods are only problematic if you are eating boatloads..............according to my Dr anyway.

I eat raw brocolli, spinach, strawberries, etc..........just smaller amounts at any one given time.

I am more scared of anything soy than anything else. The Endocrinologist I had in Virginia said that my soy consumption is what caused my Thyroid issues in the first place.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    Soy's the biggest no-no. I will have soy sauce once in a while, and edamame once every 2 months or so when we go out for sushi, but that's about it. I'm well regulated on my thyroid medication and my Endo says a little bit is fine, and goitrogenic foods, even raw, are fine as long as they are small amounts. I prefer most of my veggies steamed, so raw isn't an issue.

ETA: I just had 200 grams of strawberries last night. Totally forgot about them! :blushing:
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I recently found out that my TSH level was 9.33. It was 1.8 in July. What could possibly have gone wrong? I am completely baffled. I haven't changed my medications or anything.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Options
    I recently found out that my TSH level was 9.33. It was 1.8 in July. What could possibly have gone wrong? I am completely baffled. I haven't changed my medications or anything.

Did they test anything other than TSH? If you are having conversion problems (due to Hashimoto's most likely), your numbers could go all wonky very quickly. T3 readings would be what I'd look at in this case, though I'm still learning, so I'm not 100% sure.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options

Like the previous poster said, it's probably due to Hashimotos and you need your t4 free and t3 free plus your thyroid antibodies checked to see if you have it. Mine goes up and down all the time, I usually have to have my bloodwork done every 1-3 months depending on how it's doing. Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com for a ton of info plus recommended labs.
  • Safiyandi
    Options
    I eat about 4 cups of broccoli a day, and lots of additional spinach and root vegetables. My TSH was normal the last time I had a panel done, I wouldn't worry about it.

e - oops, didn't realize this was older, my bad