Working out and Eating Better...Still getting Fatter.

Options
I eat fairly healthy. Yogurt in the AM, the rest of my meals contain some type of protein and vegetables.
I do not drink soda, eat fast food, ect.
I work out almost daily.
But I keep gaining weight.
No, it is NOT muscle. I am still getting fatter.
I will randomly gain two pounds over night and it STAYS THERE.
I am too embarrassed to go to any of my doctors.
I am only willing to wear sweatpants now.
None of my clothes fit.
What is wrong with me?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    eating healthy has nothing to do with it.

are you accurately logging your calories?
  • k_stew_
    Options
    I can't see your diary so it's hard to say but the most likely reason is that you are eating too much. You may be eating healthfully but your portions are probably too large. If you truly don't think this is the case you need to see your doctor to have your thyroid checked as well as possible insulin resistance. But those issues are relatively rare- most likely you simply need to eat a little less.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at this OP? It can take some time. Also, unless you are weighing and measuring everything, your calorie counts will not be very accurate.

Eating 'clean' does not mean you can eat as much as you want.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You are eating too much.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what do you drink?
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary so it's hard to say but the most likely reason is that you are eating too much. You may be eating healthfully but your portions are probably too large. If you truly don't think this is the case you need to see your doctor to have your thyroid checked as well as possible insulin resistance. But those issues are relatively rare- most likely you simply need to eat a little less.

I was gonna say, have your thyroid check. but k_stew already mentioned it. (wink)
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I eat fairly healthy. Yogurt in the AM, the rest of my meals contain some type of protein and vegetables.
    I work out almost daily.
    None of my clothes fit.
    What is wrong with me?

You say you want your " dancer body " back. You are 19 now and I assume what you call a dancer body was the body of an 18, 17 or 16 years old ; the body of a not-yet fully developed female. Maybe the body you have now is the body of a maturing young woman, which is not the same as the body of a young teenager......
    As long as you don't open your food diary and share your stats, there is nothing to go by and no one knws if you are really having problem by gaining weight, or if you feel you have a problem, because you no longer have the body of a teenager.
    I just wish people's first response would not so often lead to thyroid trouble. Only 3% of the US population are overweight due to endocrine problems and the % is even smaller in people under 30.....
    Please open your food log and share your stats, so people can seriously comment and not just send of wild guesses.
  • ObessedSkinnny
    Options
    Water mostly. Sometimes green tea
    Maybe once in a blue moon, juice.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I work out almost daily.
    None of my clothes fit.
    What is wrong with me?

You say you want your " dancer body " back. You are 19 now and I assume what you call a dancer body was the body of an 18, 17 or 16 years old ; the body of a not-yet fully developed female. Maybe the body you have now is the body of a maturing young woman, which is not the same as the body of a young teenager......

^Good catch!
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of issues to include potential of a physical (need to see the doctor) issue. It could also be that you're not drinking enough water (not just fluid, there are other drinks than soda out there). Water is important to keep your body regulated and not enough water (okay here most say fluid but I'm a firm water not fluid believer) will cause your body to retain it and cause a quick overnight gain of a pound or two very randomly.

It could also be overeating without realizing it. Only way to accurately log is to weigh and measure everything and then log everything. For me, despite the whole calories in vs calories out thing, I also need to eat my minimum calories. I can't get away from that, I eat too few (think anything over 50 less than my MFP calorie goal) and I gain or stay the same. I exercise and don't eat back a little of the calories (again, this can be small like 50 calories although if I do my "beast" mode workouts I eat back at least 200 of the 500 to 600 burned), then I gain or stay the same. It's not the same for everyone but that's for me and I know there are others that it is the same for.

So weigh/measure and log everything, try eating at or just over your daily calorie goal. Log the amount of water you drink daily. Log in the workouts you do and eat a little bit more on those days (like drink a glass of lowfat milk or something after the workout if that's the way to get some calories back into your body). Experiment with some of the suggestions given and give it time. It won't happen overnight so you can try something for 1 day and not get results so figure it doesn't work.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    OP....you say that your weigh about 147 in your profile....Whats your height? You just might be coming to your actual weight for your height. Meaning your still young your still growing and going to gain weight. So if your like me 5"3 you really shouldnt weigh more then 148 lbs so if your gaining weight its more then likely you are still growing and gaining weight to support your body frame
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If youre gaining weight you're eating more than your burning.

Eat less. Stop assuming because it's 'healthy' it can't make you fat. Stop assuming that because you workout you can't gain weight. Take control, start logging accurately, and stop leaving it up to chance/assumptions.

Short version: stop eating so much
  • patrickwx
    Options
    Weigh yourself consistently at the same time every day. I suggest morning, just after waking up, before eating or drinking. Otherwise theres way too much fluctuation in weight, whether that be water/food weight. As others have said, your setting yourself up to fail if you don't actually record and weigh everything you eat, regardless of how "healthy" it is.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot of issues to include potential of a physical (need to see the doctor) issue. It could also be that you're not drinking enough water (not just fluid, there are other drinks than soda out there). Water is important to keep your body regulated and not enough water (okay here most say fluid but I'm a firm water not fluid believer) will cause your body to retain it and cause a quick overnight gain of a pound or two very randomly.

It could also be overeating without realizing it. Only way to accurately log is to weigh and measure everything and then log everything. For me, despite the whole calories in vs calories out thing, I also need to eat my minimum calories. I can't get away from that, I eat too few (think anything over 50 less than my MFP calorie goal) and I gain or stay the same. I exercise and don't eat back a little of the calories (again, this can be small like 50 calories although if I do my "beast" mode workouts I eat back at least 200 of the 500 to 600 burned), then I gain or stay the same. It's not the same for everyone but that's for me and I know there are others that it is the same for.

So weigh/measure and log everything, try eating at or just over your daily calorie goal. Log the amount of water you drink daily. Log in the workouts you do and eat a little bit more on those days (like drink a glass of lowfat milk or something after the workout if that's the way to get some calories back into your body). Experiment with some of the suggestions given and give it time. It won't happen overnight so you can try something for 1 day and not get results so figure it doesn't work.

Something is off in your numbers. It's impossible to gain weight in a deficit.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I work out almost daily.
    None of my clothes fit.
    What is wrong with me?

^Good catch!

how tall are you? lets check your BMI
    19 yrs old at 127 aint that bad unless your 4ft tall
  • ObessedSkinnny
    Options
    I may be eating more than I think.

I drink easily about 1L of water a day.
    Trust me, I am done growing and I am not very tall at all.
    But literally, this is an over night thing. I weight 2lbs heavier over night and it doesn't go away.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

But literally, this is an over night thing. I weight 2lbs heavier over night and it doesn't go away.

How can you know you're done growing if you're only 19? I spent my 20s and most of my 30s thinking I was 5'3", because that was my height all through high school, and I never measured my height or saw a doctor for a physical during that time, and when I finally went in for a full physical, I found out I was 5'4". And I've known other women who grew a couple of inches taller in college.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Any chance you're sleep-eating?