Honey

Options
I know some honey has a ton of sugar in it but i do like to put it in my tea, or use a spoonful for my sore throats. (its almost a cure for me rather then the cough drops) or put some in my PB&J sandwiches. Should i look for fat free/light honey etc?

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been putting half a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of honey in my tea every week, sometimes every day, and I am still losing weight. If you are going through with this lifestyle change, you have to incorporate things you love, even if that means smaller quantities, or you'll fall off the band wagon. Try starting with a quarter teaspoon and going up until it's JUST sweet enough.

Enjoy!!
  • momofyr
    Options
    You could try light agave as well.
  • CORTNEY5
    CORTNEY5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    honey is like fruit, it has natural occuring sugars in it, not refined sugars, so I think you're fine, but like anything, the key is moderation!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    i use locally produced raw honey (from an organic vegetable farm's worker bees ;) on occasion. It has about 21 calories per teaspoon (6 carbs) and no fat. Like a previous poster said, its naturally occuring sugar, so is much better for you. Moderation is key ;).... I enjoy a touch of honey on my peanut butter/banana toast :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    If you want the health benefits of honey you want to use raw honey.

If you just want a nice healthy sweetner, then agaves work well too.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Honey is so good for you I wouldn't worrie about the calories.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just reduce the amount you use. Honey is very good for you I wouldn't worry about sugars. I always am over my sugars, but a lot and still lose weight. I'd like to not go over, but with fruit and such it's hard.
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have always been told that honey is terrific for you, whether you're trying to eat healthy or not. I use honey in my coffee over sugar and creamer. This site has quite a few interesting facts:

http://www.benefits-of-honey.com/

Also, there is a LOT of information out there if you just do a search for 'benefits of honey', or even just 'honey'....you'd be amazed at what you'd find. As others have said, moderation is important....but as I see it, I'd use honey in place of sugar as often as I can. Good luck to you, I hope you find the information you're looking for! :)
  • dewoods
    dewoods Posts: 148
    Options
    I know some honey has a ton of sugar in it but i do like to put it in my tea, or use a spoonful for my sore throats. (its almost a cure for me rather then the cough drops) or put some in my PB&J sandwiches. Should i look for fat free/light honey etc?

I agree with what everyone else has stated:

1.) Moderation
    2.) Natural Sugars vs. Refined
    3.) Raw Honey being the best

I have also been told if you can get Raw Honey from where you live it will help with allergy's for the geography as well. I just bought some at a Farmer's Market that is locally harvested from the "Fall Crop" as I was informed. It is great and the family loves it as well.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    Use real honey if that's your preference.

Charmagne
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    Hello,

Honey is natural and much better then regular sugar. Here are some stats.

Honey Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
    Energy 1,272 kJ (304 kcal)
    Carbohydrates 82.4 g
    Sugars 82.12 g
    Dietary fiber 0.2 g
    Fat 0 g
    Protein 0.3 g
    Water 17.10 g
    Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.038 mg (3%)
    Niacin (Vit. B3) 0.121 mg (1%)
    Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.068 mg (1%)
    Vitamin B6 0.024 mg (2%)
    Folate (Vit. B9) 2 μg (1%)
    Vitamin C 0.5 mg (1%)
    Calcium 6 mg (1%)
    Iron 0.42 mg (3%)
    Magnesium 2 mg (1%)
    Phosphorus 4 mg (1%)
    Potassium 52 mg (1%)
    Sodium 4 mg (0%)
    Zinc 0.22 mg (2%)
    Shown is for 100 g, roughly 5 tbsp.
    Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults.
    Source: USDA Nutrient database

Sugar, granulated Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
    Energy 1,619 kJ (387 kcal)
    Carbohydrates 99.98 g
    Sugars 99.91 g
    Dietary fiber 0 g
    Fat 0 g
    Protein 0 g
    Water 0.03 g
    Riboflavin (Vit. B2) 0.019 mg (1%)
    Calcium 1 mg (0%)
    Iron 0.01 mg (0%)
    Potassium 2 mg (0%)
    Percentages are relative to US recommendations for adults.
    Source: USDA Nutrient database

Go for honey but like everyone says with moderation. :)
  • turbojanem
    Options
    I've been putting half a teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of honey in my tea every week, sometimes every day, and I am still losing weight. If you are going through with this lifestyle change, you have to incorporate things you love, even if that means smaller quantities, or you'll fall off the band wagon. Try starting with a quarter teaspoon and going up until it's JUST sweet enough.

Enjoy!!

great advice! i have gotten to where i can drink my green tea without sugar in the raw or honey. and LOVE it that way. not my coffee yet, so i have my coffee with my Shakeology to avoid those extra calories.
    the issues that i had with honey for a sore throat are these: i have sore throats daily because of my allergies and drainage. Halls sugar-free cough drops are always with me. the other problem for me: my blood sugar would spike and crash with the honey. when eaten with my almond butter, my blood sugar is stabilized. when consumed alone, it does effect the blood sugar levels, which is not good for any organ/function of the body.

cheering you on!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Honey is my favorite! I will choose it over any other sweetener. It's been around since the beginning and I trust it. I use raw, local honey every single day in my coffee and have lost over 20 pounds. It's so much more complex than sugar and is made in a completely natural, unprocessed way. My favorite is Round Rock Honey, but It's local to me so I can benefit from the pollen that is in it. Plus, it tastes different every time I buy it, I love that.