Help/Suggestions Paleo

Options
I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and major insulin resistance. I successfully lost 50 lbs last year eating low calorie and exercising. Since then, the scale won't budge, I have another 30 lbs. to lose, and I just don't feel "good". I am going to have my annual bloodwork done soon (A1C, fasting BS, free testosterone, etc.), just to make sure everything is okay. I take two medications as well.

Since I feel crummy and can't get anymore weight off, on the advice of my doctor I'm going to permanently overhaul my current diet (lean cuisines, diet sodas, etc.) and try to feel better. I've been reading every study I can get my hands on about PCOS and recommended dietary changes. My physician has recommended no carbs other than fruits and veggies, and that I limit dairy. I also read a study that found that 85% of women with PCOS are gluten intolerant. So, I think eliminating grains can't be a bad idea.

So basically, I'm taking all the research I've read, my doctor's recommendations, and constructing my own "diet." My plan is going to look somewhat similar to paleo, but I'm going to still include limited amounts of dairy (butter and occasionally cheese) and some legumes, though I'm not much of a bean eater anyway. Grains and processed foods- gone.

This is going to be hard for this Lean Cuisine eating, Diet Coke guzzling girl.

Also- I do exercise, although it's mostly cardio. I run and bike, but since there's ice on the ground I'm currently using my elliptical.

I would appreciate any input from folks who follow a similar diet. Paleo people, clean eating people, etc. I think this is going to be a rough transition. But, it will be worth it if it makes me feel better and helps me get the rest of this stubborn weight off!

NO paleo debates please.... This overhaul is for medical reasons and I am supervised by an endocrinologist.

Thanks!

Julie

Replies

• mirandapaleo
    Options
    Im paleo as well! I do eat some dairy (lactose free-like cheddar), some beans, and sweet n low for my morning coffee (havent let this one go yet). But other than that I follow the paleo lifestyle! And losing a ton of weight!

I love it, I feel INCREDIBLE! Not only that but when I "cheat" (cookie, or whatever no no it is) I feel it, lets me know I am on the right track for sure! Recently- we had food day here at work for the holidays and I decided to indulge on all the "goodies" almost immediately after eating, I got very ill feeling and stayed that way most of the night. That was enough for me to decide the taste isn't worth the aftermath...

Some excellent resources:
    paleodietlifestyle.com
    nomnompaleo.com
    thepaleomom.com
    paleohacks.com

I rarely ever hit the 1200 calorie goal MFP says as minimum, but its because I eat so healthy and most of the foods I consume have minimal calories...I eat when I am hungry, and eat clean. My results have been weight loss, higher energy, complexion improvement, emotional improvement, focus and memory improvement, and the biggy- GUT improvement! I LOVE IT!!!!
  • KatyAverill
    KatyAverill Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well and my doctor recently suggested the same diet as you-higher in fats and very low carb.
    In the first week that I ate that way, I lost 9 lbs...then I cheated on Thanksgiving and just started up again this week. It's difficult for the first couple of days, but this time I'm determined to stick with it because it made me feel way better.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I did a not strict paleo diet for a while, and had lots of energy, lost weight too. It was hard at first, but i worked on incorporating one meal at a time, finding "good" foods that i liked, and ate them more and more often.

I ate smoothies or egg white omlets, lots of salads with lean protein, and nuts, fruits and veggies for snacks. I did give it up after a few months, i missed the bread too much! Never did give up my diet coke or sweeteners, though i replaced some with honey.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Hi there...............another PCOS'er, with Type 2 Diabetes (back to insulin resistance) and Hypothyroidism.

I am Paleo also. I do my best when I limit my fruit intake..............I say that with a banana, honey crisp and a large navel orange sitting on my laptop here at work, LOL.......
  • jrapkine
    jrapkine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been eating paleo since July and I absolutely love it. It's the first time in my life that I'm able to really embrace healthy eating as part of my lifestyle and it's so easy! I don't miss bread/cookies/pasta etc because I've figured out how to eat substitutes that are frankly more satisfying. I'm never hungry, as long as I focus on eating the right foods.

I don't have PCOS, but I did have indigestion nightly for 5 years (tums 2x a night, stronger rx while pregnant) and that is completely gone now. Haven't had indigestion since I dropped the gluten. Also - I am now able to run without my knees hurting and without asthma attacks. That's I'm sure a product of losing 51lb (lost some before MFP), but it's also all about reducing my systemic inflammation.

I make sure to focus on eating a good amount of fat (avocados, bacon, healthy oils, nuts), the best protein I can find, and minimal carbs in the form of fruits and veggies. I occasionally consume dairy (good quality raw cheese, grass fed butter), legumes, and rice (but I really limit the last two).

I found in the beginning it was helpful to sub things like spaghetti squash with meat sauce for pasta (still love this), and I ate lettuce-wrapped everything (burgers, tacos, sandwiches). It's also good to keep easy, healthy snacks around just in case you can't find a good option. Some of my faves that travel well are pre-portioned nuts, beef jerky, apples, pre-portioned almond butter packets, and treats I bake myself.

Love the sites one of the PPs posted - I'll add to that Against All Grain and www.elanaspantry.com. Elana's recipes are my faves!

Feel free to add me if you want to chat more!