Hello, really new to this!

Options
Hey everyone,

So I signed up for my fitness pal a couple of weeks ago, I decided I'm going to start it right after Christmas because I just feel like their are so many temptations with food right now and I'd rather get Christmas out of the way and start right after.

I'm hoping this will work for me, I'm kind of worried about it becoming an obsessive thing because it involves counting calories. I was on weight watchers before, and I really didn't like that because it was really expensive. My starting weight right now is 186.6, and I'm in my early twenties, and I'm hoping when I start after Christmas to lose a pound a week. My question for you guys are:

how is my fitness pal working for you?

Were you worried about becoming obsessive about the calories?

Replies

• Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is much better than Weight Watchers
    in my opinion and u get lots of support!
    I prefer counting calories rather than
    counting points! I just have to be honest
    with my log entries and stick to calories
    budgeted for me:)
  • lebradavis
    Options
    Great!
  • lebradavis
    Options
    Yes, I'm new. Im not familiar with anything
  • ElPatoLoco
    ElPatoLoco Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the crazy house ;)

My Fitness Pal has been the only thing that's worked for me properly largely by making me more aware of two things,, what i'm eating and how much of it.

I guess you do need to become a little obsessive otherwise without a reasonable approximation of your calories in/calories out record then MFP itself is pretty useless. It 's a tool and that's really all it is. Like any tool you need to use it properly to gain the best advantage from it.

First thing iI had to get into my head is sensible and controlled weight loss is about lifestyle change and the second major thing you absolutely need to understand and appreciate is how long it takes. Like many I'd been caught in the self delusion trap that if I cut out bread and cakes for a week I'd suddenly be 30lbs lighter... Ok so I'm joking a little... But you get the idea.

Thirdly be wary of all the seudo-science and nutters you'll find posting in these forums ;) There's some good sensible advice peppered with some outright barking claims... Weigh up the "this is what worked for me claims" against your own research.

Best advice I was given.... Get two sets of decent scales, one for the kitchen, one for the bathroom and focus on how great you'll look in 6 months by losing just 1lb a week... But don't lose sight of that goal no matter what short term set backs you might think you're having.

And it never has to be expensive, you eat what you normally eat, just in controlled amounts. No special meals, no high protein this, low sugar that and only buying BRANDED weight control foods at three times regular price ;)

Most of all enjoy it... It shouldn't be a punishment regime but something you enjoy doing :)

Good luck
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    firstly this is free so you are more likely to keep logging

yes it is very good and it works but you need to log everything you eat, you don't get obsessive becuase MFP adds up the calories for you *kitten* long as you enter all you eat and drink

good luck its working for me and i ahev been battling with my weight all my life
  • befitlon
    befitlon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't delay what you can do NOW... =)
  • 50_to_lose
    50_to_lose Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this also but a work colleague recommended the mfp app to me as he has lost alot

of weight using it as it has helped him understand the nutritional values of different foods and

has led to a more balanced diet.

I'm planning on losing 50 lbs next year using diet and exercise

feel free to add me as a friend and we can encourage each other along the way.

Either way good luck with reaching your goals.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This site is like anything else, a tool to help aid you in reaching your goals for diet or fitness or even both. I have lost a few pounds using MFP and plan to continue to use it to help me achieve new goals that I have set. I personally find the logging to be second nature now, I don't even think about it anymore. Just like measuring and weighing food, I just do it cause it is part of my daily routine. You will get out of MFP , exactly what you put into it. Best of Luck on reaching the goals you have set for yourself......
  • cajun_qt
    Options
    i decided to wait to start counting calories until after i established that i could consistently workout 3 times a week. every week. for forever. then i just decided to grab healthy things to eat instead of going by the math.

you can pretty much tell if something is good for you before you even look at the label.

thank god for beef jerky, bacon, hard boiled eggs, asparagus and steak.