Losing weight at 0.5lbs/week

Options
I've measured I'm 142.6lbs this morning, my weight goal is 135lbs. My thighs, arms and the rest of my body have lost fat in them and toned up as I do cardio minimum 3 times per week. I think my stomach has gone in a little but seems like it's the last place to go.

So I have 7lbs roughly to lose (I'm not a slave to the scale) I'm more interested in getting a leaner, flatter stomach and essentially losing the belly fat.

I'm at a calorie deficit, I eat heathily atleast 1500cals per day (I think a little more but its tough to measure, it's definitely within the range of what I want to lose). I also do cardio 3 times per week - kickboxing cardio from FitnessBlender.

What is a realistic time-frame, I'm not in a rush but I'd like a rough estimate. I reckon it'll take a year to lose the last 7lbs..

I'm going to be 21 soon and I'm 5'5"

Replies

• lindsayvernon
    lindsayvernon Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    if you're looking to get a flatter stomach you might want to add some weight training into your workout routine. Cardio is great for burning calories, but to change your composition you need to be lifting. You seem like you're in the right frame of mind for getting the last few lbs off, it does take time for the last bit of weight to come off. If you are still consistantly losing while eating at 1500/day then stay at it.
  • Jkn921
    Jkn921 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    if you're looking to get a flatter stomach you might want to add some weight training into your workout routine. Cardio is great for burning calories, but to change your composition you need to be lifting. You seem like you're in the right frame of mind for getting the last few lbs off, it does take time for the last bit of weight to come off. If you are still consistantly losing while eating at 1500/day then stay at it.

I did very light weight training on Wednesday the only problem is that I won't be able to take it to University, I'm not going to a gym either. Is weights necessary or can I use body toning exercises without it?
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you want a flatter belly and an overall leaner look, adding weights or some resistance training is the way to go. Even yoga would be beneficial.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    If you want a flatter belly and an overall leaner look, adding weights or some resistance training is the way to go. Even yoga would be beneficial.

Ok I'll have to figure something out then...thanks for the replies.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I did very light weight training on Wednesday the only problem is that I won't be able to take it to University, I'm not going to a gym either. Is weights necessary or can I use body toning exercises without it?

why can't you take it to university? don't they have a gym on campus? Or is investing in some dumbbells an option?

If not you can look at bodyweigth exercises such as convict conditioning or nerd fitness. Google it and see for yourself. I also agree that you will have more success losing the extra fat with strength exercise rather than cardio
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

why can't you take it to university? don't they have a gym on campus? Or is investing in some dumbbells an option?

If not you can look at bodyweigth exercises such as convict conditioning or nerd fitness. Google it and see for yourself. I also agree that you will have more success losing the extra fat with strength exercise rather than cardio

This was my thought. I was thinking every university had a rec center. Every major one, anyway.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    weighted hula hooping has help me build some strong muscles in my stomach and I believe it has made my stomach firmer and flatter.. this is a fun activity and they cost about £13 from argos. it could be something to consider.
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options

You can do body weight excises or resistance bands if you are not going to join the gym. I have a knock off TRX system ($40 on amazon) to I can get a great body weight workout in my bedroom. I can also do resistance bands ($35 on amazon) as well. Both take up no space whatsoever and give me what I need when I cant make it to the gym or am traveling.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    You can get really decent barbell/plate sets from Argos. I do my heavy lifting at home, still new so only just seeing differences, mainly in my shoulders and back, and thighs/ bottom! It's definitely do-able without a gym.
    My old uni had a gym but it was expensive, busy and had dreadful opening hours.
    As for time frame 6 months would be a decent time, but as you're so close to goal your attitude is great! Slow and steady x
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has A LOT more to offer than just cardio kickboxing. They have really good bodyweight workouts, and strength training workouts that use dumbbells. They also have Pilates (GREAT for deep core strength), yoga, and HIIT. If you're already familiar with some of their workouts, it may be an easy segue into some strength training using their workouts.
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    If you can't use a gym, try this:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

If you keep at this with your eating routine, you'll be golden and should lose that extra weight in a few months, plus probably get some nice toning. Just remember to eat back your exercise calories! You want to build the muscle and maintain it so you don't lose it instead of the fat.

It will be slow, your weight will go up and down daily. Just keep doing it and you'll see a monthly trend downward in weight and definitely see your clothes fitting differently.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful replies everyone!

I may get the light dumbbells from Argos as suggested, I'm not interested in joining a gym due to it's price and I'm comfortable doing it on my own in my room with my music etc.

I'll stick to FitnessBlender I've seen some of their toning exercises I'll try to get those dumbbells before I go back.
  • Jkn921
    Options
    Getting dumbbells today probably, will keep to FitnessBlender and hope to see the results :)
  • Jkn921
    Options
    I got light weight dumbbells - 1.1kg & 2.3kg - now that I have those shall I combine the 'toning' exercises using weights (how many times per week?) and cardio?

My goal is to lose the belly fat and get a toned body in general
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I would do mostly weigh exercises if I was in your place. Cardio is not going to help much with the "tone". Once you are comfortable.with this weight, you can pile it on and keep your body working hard.