I got asked if I was pregnant tonight!!!

Options

Replies

• jcreazy
    jcreazy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't even know why someone would ask this, why does anyone care? It isn't a rare thing that someone becomes pregnant and asking certainly isn't going to make the baby come any sooner.
  • JasmineOravec
    JasmineOravec Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I had an apron on pretty tight and I was sitting on a counter and a coworker touched my belly and asked if I was pregnant. :-(. I hate people touching me anyway eew lol.

Ha! I probably would've "touched" her in the face...

This!
  • Fiore_
    Fiore_ Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Two old women cornered me at my cousin's wedding to ask me if I was the bridesmaid that was pregnant. I was only 19 at the time. I was absolutely mortified. I think I just burst out laughing instead and didn't even respond to them. Luckily they had a mortified look on their faces, too, when they realized their gaffe. I don't understand why, but rude people seem to come out of the woodwork when there is a pregnant woman around -- whether real or imagined.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 1/2 year old & have constantly been asked if I'm pregnant or when I'm having another/ why haven't I had another yet/ when will I have another. That's like the first thing people ask. Its VERY annoying!
    This is such a dreadful thing to say!
    One, it's not anyone else's business and two, you don't know their personal situtaion.
    After a healthy, trouble free first pregnancy I was unfortunate enough to have three miscarriages, all at about 14 to 16 weeks, so not obvious to most people. Close friends and family knew but you would not believe how many virtual strangers would feel it was necessary to give me a lecture on the evils of having an only child. I knew I could have shredded them, made them feel really bad about it but there wasn't any point. When I was pregnant with son no. 2 I then had lectures on how stupid I was to have left such a long gap between them!!
    The moral of this long rambling story is not to say anything at all! Compliment Mummy and baby and leave it at that:smile:
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Have got no idea why you are admitting this in public....
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You have no idea because you're a boy! People will just think you're fat, no one will think you're pregnant.
  • eldamiano
    Options
    You have no idea because you're a boy! People will just think you're fat, no one will think you're pregnant.

I understand the theory behind the lady's post, clever clogs, but it's like you putting up a post, such as, for example: -

'I got told I was sexist today because I randomly use the phrase "You have no idea because you're a boy" '

Why would you put that sort of demeaning stuff up on a public forum?
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Anyone who asks this of ANYONE is a social moron and deserves to be publicly humiliated...JMHO.
    [/quote]

THIS ... You nailed it, LILBEARZMOM!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised I was never asked. I carried most of my weight in my boobs and belly, I definitely looked pregnant at my heaviest.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I understand the theory behind the lady's post, clever clogs, but it's like you putting up a post, such as, for example: -

'I got told I was sexist today because I randomly use the phrase "You have no idea because you're a boy" '

Maybe she's looking for support or if this has happened to other people?
    i wish someone would ask me! guess even at 37 weeks its no bueno to ask the fat lady if shes pregnant

Awww. Are you pregnant? There you go :smile:
    You forgot to touch her belly.

I've never been asked if I was pregnant, even when I was pregnant (no one believed me when I told them).
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options

This might come as a shock to you, but people use these forums for support. Hearing other people say 'the same thing happened to me once' means the OP gets to hear that no, it's not that she's spectacularly pregnant-looking, it's just that some people can't keep their intrusive questions to themselves.

If you can't understand that, then I have absolutely zero doubt you are one of the people who are so utterly out of tune with other people's feelings that you think asking someone if they are pregnant is anything remotely approaching a decent thing to do-- and it's not because you're a man. It's because you clearly have no idea how or why people interact with one another.
  • eldamiano
    Options

This might come as a shock to you, but people use these forums for support. Hearing other people say 'the same thing happened to me once' means the OP gets to hear that no, it's not that she's spectacularly pregnant-looking, it's just that some people can't keep their intrusive questions to themselves.

If you can't understand that, then I have absolutely zero doubt you are one of the people who are so utterly out of tune with other people's feelings that you think asking someone if they are pregnant is anything remotely approaching a decent thing to do-- and it's not because you're a man. It's because you clearly have no idea how or why people interact with one another.

Support? No?

What? Under the forum topic 'Motivation and support'? Am I missing something.

Everything you have posted above is based on some dumb assumption - "It's because you clearly have no idea how or why people interact with one another." What gives you grounds to say that? Oh for goodness sake, the most patronising phrase of them all - "you dont understand". Of course I understand, and if you asked the question to many other people, guess what? They might agree with me.

And while we are on the topic of understanding, didnt you understand or even read my comment as a response to the comment "You have no idea because you're a boy" from the above poster.

No of course not, you dont understand plain English, obviously.
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I had an elderly patient who isn't the kindest of people pat my belly and ask, "Twins?" I still use that as an example to new staff about how some people say very rude things. For me, I am always happy when someone does something like this to me...let's me know right up front what they are really like and I don't have to waste my time investing in a relationship with them.

So yes, men do get asked this, and it's much worse then when you're asking a women (which I wouldn't do) since there obviously isn't any way that is true. So in this case it is meant to be just cruel and hurtful. But, I am very overweight and I did that to myself. Yes, I am on the right road now and while I have a long way to go I am proud of what I have done and believe that I will accomplish my goals. However, can't we desist from sexiest comments like the above? Don't we all really have enough to deal with between our weight loss goals, exercising, families, work, etc without resorting to the constant useless comments like the above? Maybe we all need to grow up a little first if we don't want to be one of these rude people that everyone is quoting in these posts.

Just one man's opinion. I hope that all of us have a happy and safe holiday season.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    First of all I don't think it's anyone's business whether or not a woman is pregnant unless she offers up the information willingly. However, if you must ask I would say the best time would be when she is on the delivery table and the doctor has the baby's head in his/her hand and telling her just one more push. Then you could say something like, "oh, you're pregnant? congrats!"
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    Have you ever been asked if you were pregnant before when you weren't and how did you handle it?

No but there was a woman at a Christmas party at work that i attended last week who looked like she had lost a few lbs since the last time I had seen her. Lucky thing a gentleman should never comment on a woman's weight.....(like EVER even if shes smoking hot). It turns out shes actually 8 1/2 months pregnant and due in January. Ummmm I really had no idea and she seriously looked smaller.

Whew! Glad I didnt basically say to her (paraphrasing) "You look so much thinner now than before....you know, now that your 9 months pregnant and everything."
  • jmartin1219
    jmartin1219 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When i was pregnant my father in law said, you look bigger than the last time we saw you! He of course meant the baby bump but hello? I just said, Well i am PREGNANT and walked away.....
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Suffice it to say, it should never be acceptable to ask questions or make comments about other people's size and/or weight. But then that would mean that everyone should show a little courtesy. Heaven forbid we be nice to each other!! ????
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I gain all my extra weight in my tummy - sometimes I wish I was pregnant so it would be justified :)
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My sister has always carried all her extra weight around her middle. She has slim legs and no butt to speak of but she has what she calls a Buddha belly. She also has a beautiful complexion and even now that she is in her sixties there are no signs of any wrinkles. She was in her late fifties when someone asked her when she was due. I don't know what she said but when she told me about it she was still trying to decide whether to take the question as an insult or a compliment.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Suffice it to say, it should never be acceptable to ask questions or make comments about other people's size and/or weight. But then that would mean that everyone should show a little courtesy. Heaven forbid we be nice to each other!! ????
    The person asking the OP probably thought she WAS being nice.