Going over my sugar every day?

Options
I don't eat any desserts or sugary drinks and tend to stay away from foods with added sugar, but I do have a lot of fruit in my protein shakes. My question is how many grams of sugar should a person eat in a day? Mine is set at 30 and I am ALWAYS going over. I am still losing so I'm not terribly worried at this point, but I would really Iike to be eating a low sugar diet and...obviously I am not now. Thoughts?

Replies

• Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If you want, since you're losing weight, you can go to My Home > Goals, then "Change Goals" and increase your sugar goal so you don't feel too bad about it?
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    The number that MFP gives for sugar is the recommended amount of added sugar in your diet, not the total amount of sugar from all sources.

The problem is that, for items other than whole foods, it is hard to tell how much sugar is naturally occurring vs. added, so MFP tracks all sugars under your sugar number.

If most of your sugars comes from fruit and other whole food sources, and you have no medical reason to avoid sugar, you can treat sugar like any other carbohydrate.

Some people create a special "meal" in their MFP diary for foods that contain natural sugar to make it easier to track (they subtract that sugar number from the overall sugar number), and others (myself included) change what the track so sugar doesn't show up on the main page. I actually replace sugar with fiber.
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I too changed it to track fiber instead of sugar. I eat no processed sugars on a regualr basis, but I eat a lot of raw fruit so it was always over. I decided it was a worthless stat to track but getting enough fiber was worth tracking.