Really don't like cardio

Options
Good morning everyone. I absolutely dislike doing cardio. Would it be possible to lose weight significantly by eating 1200 a day and doing toning/strenght exercices? Is cardio more efficient for weight loss?

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for health, it doesn't help lose weight per se, it just lets you eat more food. You can probably eat more than 1200 calories though! Try http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell yes, because in general you can sustain cardio exercise for longer. People can run marathons which can take 3,4,5,6, etc. hours. You arent going to do strength training for that long.

By running for an hour you can burn around 1,000 calories. Again you are unlikely to get anywhere near that from a strength training session.
  • loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell yes, because in general you can sustain cardio exercise for longer. People can run marathons which can take 3,4,5,6, etc. hours. You arent going to do strength training for that long.

By running for an hour you can burn around 1,000 calories. Again you are unlikely to get anywhere near that from a strength training session.
    Wow, you burn 1000 cals an hour running? Hmmmmmmmm....
  • eldamiano
    Options

Ok if I ran for an hour at a pace of 9 minutes per mile, then I would burn 850 according to MFP (it is always slightly more than that because MFP doesnt take into account elevation and other potential factors). I am 6 foot 1 in height and weigh around 12.5 stone. I run a lot so I can manage to go a bit quicker than that so for me it would be closer to 1,000. 9 minutes per mile is a reasonable pace for a good size percentage of people though.

You will most likely measure and weigh different to that so it will differ for you, although you will probably surprise yourself by the amount you can burn from jogging. Just try putting in some figures in MFP for starters or better still, get a phone app such as Runkeeper which tracks your run and tells you your calorie loss.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Ok if I ran for an hour at a pace of 9 minutes per mile, then I would burn 850 according to MFP (it is always slightly more than that because MFP doesnt take into account elevation and other potential factors). I am 6 foot 1 in height and weigh around 12.5 stone. I run a lot so I can manage to go a bit quicker than that so for me it would be closer to 1,000. 9 minutes per mile is a reasonable pace for a good size percentage of people though.

You will most likely measure and weigh different to that so that will differ. Still, I was surprised by the amount I could burn from jogging when I started.

I would beg to differ that a 9 minute mile over 60 minutes is reasonable for "most people".
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I want to know technique, I'm lucky to hit 600 in an hour.

Also, OP. Focus on diet for weight loss. Logging accuracy is key. Make sure you're drinking lots of water, getting plenty of protein (on a deficit I believe 1g per pound of LBM aim for 100g ish), fat and fiber. Even at sedentary, you should be able to eat more than 1200, if logging properly. My rest days are around 1550-1650 and I'm losing close to a pound a week at 5'5" 127 lbs. Some form of resistance training would be nice, as it helps to retain muscle and minimize loss while eating at a deficit. Cardio is not necessary. :) Find things you enjoy, no need to torture yourself.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and weights. But not the kind of cardio that you get indoors. Go buy a f*cking bike, it'll change your life and your perspective of cardio.
  • eldamiano
    Options

You will most likely measure and weigh different to that so that will differ. Still, I was surprised by the amount I could burn from jogging when I started.

I would beg to differ that a 9 minute mile over 60 minutes is reasonable for "most people".

Apologies, I did edit my post to say a 'fair percentage of people'. I was just using the pace I started off at around 18 months ago. I was about 14.5 stone at the time and only went running casually prior to that. I started training for a race and so took note of my pace.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and weights. But not the kind of cardio that you get indoors. Go buy a f*cking bike, it'll change your life and your perspective of cardio.

That's easy to say, but for some of us biking isn't an option 365 days a year.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Cardio doesn't burn fat.

Period.

Caloric deficit does.

High intensity (heavy) lifting helps preserve muscle whilst losing fat.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

And give you phenomenal legs :)
  • kkows
    kkows Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't forget walking is cardio too.
  • eldamiano
    Options

I want to know technique, I'm lucky to hit 600 in an hour.

Obviously it's all subjective to your height/weight/sex. Apologies, I was calculating the burn rate with the pace I would go for an hour on (about 6 min 45 second minute miles) which of course isnt going to apply to all.

Still, 600 calories in an hour is not shabby either.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight eating 1200 calories per day without cardio. Cardio is more efficient for weight loss, but not entirely necessary. Good luck to ya! :flowerforyou:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,155 Member
    Options
    If you don't like cardio, don't do cardio. You don't need to do it to lose weight.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about your ''diet''

If you don't like Cardio then don't do it. I hate it and haven't done it in... huh.. so long I actually can't remember

Do what you enjoy and stay at a deficit
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Apologies, I did edit my post to say a 'fair percentage of people'. I was just using the pace I started off at around 18 months ago. I was about 14.5 stone at the time and only went running casually prior to that. I started training for a race and so took note of my pace.

If you started out running an average of a 9 minute mile for 1 hour, that's impressive. Depending on what you mean by "starting out" I guess.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Cardio is about raising your heart rate. You can do weight training and raise your heart rate by doing circuit training, going quickly from one exercise to the next.

There are so many different ways to get cardio as well that people don't think about. Personally I hate machines or running, but love Zumba and Kickbox.

some other fun ways to get heart rate up

Hula Hoop
    Jump Rope
    Dancing
    Walking places instead of driving
    Body Pump classes usually are circuit training so cardio is involved.

I find most people who say they don't like something are thinking very narrow. Just make sure you get your heart rate up 2 times and week and you will be good.
  • eldamiano
    Options

If you started out running an average of a 9 minute mile for 1 hour, that's impressive. Depending on what you mean by "starting out" I guess.

There is an annual 10-mile race fairly close to where I live. I got convinced into doing the one in October 2012 by some friends... well partially I convinced myself as I had been meaning to lose a couple of stone for a few years. So I did a month's worth of training. My first run was for about 6.5 miles which took me about an hour, give or take a 2 or 3 minutes, so around 9 minutes per mile. I finished the race in under 1 hr 25 mins so just under 8.5 minutes per mile.

So my assumption on it being achievable for a fair amount of people was based on my experience, as prior to that, I was a bit overweight and wasnt particularly healthy.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose fat, strength train to build and maintain muscle and do cardio to strengthen your heart... it all matters.