Really don't like cardio

Options

Replies

• gmhaggie06
    Options
    i hate cardio too, I won't do it. I do lift weights 3 times a week and find that gets my heart rate jacked! I will do cardio when I've lost another 50-60 pounds, but I don't enjoy the cardio that my large body size allows me to do right now (walking, biking, swimming) and can't wait to play basketball, do sprints, hike, etc when I get skinnier!
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I absolutely dislike doing cardio. Would it be possible to lose weight significantly by eating 1200 a day and doing toning/strength exercises? Is cardio more efficient for weight loss?

Perhaps give circuit or HIIT training a try; you incorporate short bursts of cardio in with your strength. Therefore, you get both aspects of cardio and strength in one workout. I do this 3 to 4 days a week and have gained strength and improved my speed for running. I was a 12.30 min mile now 10.30 min mile. I also can sustain a 4 mile run, and before I could do only 2 miles. I took several months off from running and did circuits or HIIT and recently started up running again. I also have a deficit, however, not as low as yours, mine is at 1400 and then I eat a good part of my exercise calories back. In 3 months I have lost 18 lbs.

However, if you do not want any cardio, yes you can sustain a loss with a calorie deficit. Plus, with strength exercises you will also boost your metabolism. I know several people who only do strength and have progressed beautifully. It is all in what works for you in the long run. Find what works for you and stick with it. This is a lifestyle change and the best way to stick with something is to incorporate things you like doing. However, you should at least try new things for a couple of weeks to see if you like it.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • melissagnb
    melissagnb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that has been replying :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about your ''diet''

If you don't like Cardio then don't do it. I hate it and haven't done it in... huh.. so long I actually can't remember

Do what you enjoy and stay at a deficit

Let me amplify on the above.

When i was a kid I would exercise hard and felt exhilarated afterward. In my thirties, running was OK but became a chore. Now, when I run it hurts and takes me a day to recover.

That is why exercise is NOT the answer to permanent weight loss. When you stop exercising on a regular basis, the weight comes back. And the older you get the more it hurts.

Diets don't work long-term as well.

Learn to live with hunger. After a time, you will find that that sensation that you THOUGHT meant you had to eat something becomes just the sensation of knowing that your stomach is empty.

It is something that doesn't strike you like a lightening bolt. You have to modify your behavior and over time your brain will re-wire and you will plateau. You have to force yourself to work and live a little bit hungry at times during the day for this to happen.

I have found the best way is to skip breakfast and eat your first meal at noon. Do this over a week, and you will notice a change.

Right now as I type this, it is 9:30 in the morning and I have been up for a couple hours. My last meal last night was at 7 pm, and I ate half of a pizza that I augmented with mozzarella cheese.

I know my stomach is empty, but I don't have the urge to eat anything. I might go downstairs and make some toast, but then again I might not. I am thinking about what I might do today and this weekend.

Food is not an obsession with me.

I don't know what I will have for lunch, and haven't planned anything for dinner. I might finish off the pizza tonight.

Don't know.

Don't really care.

I am concerned with other things.

I now have the genetics of a naturally thin person!

You can too.

Wish there was a Like button :flowerforyou:
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose fat, strength train to build and maintain muscle and do cardio to strengthen your heart... it all matters.
    Yepp!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about your ''diet''

If you don't like Cardio then don't do it. I hate it and haven't done it in... huh.. so long I actually can't remember

Do what you enjoy and stay at a deficit

Let me amplify on the above.

When i was a kid I would exercise hard and felt exhilarated afterward. In my thirties, running was OK but became a chore. Now, when I run it hurts and takes me a day to recover.

That is why exercise is NOT the answer to permanent weight loss. When you stop exercising on a regular basis, the weight comes back. And the older you get the more it hurts.

Diets don't work long-term as well.

Learn to live with hunger. After a time, you will find that that sensation that you THOUGHT meant you had to eat something becomes just the sensation of knowing that your stomach is empty.

It is something that doesn't strike you like a lightening bolt. You have to modify your behavior and over time your brain will re-wire and you will plateau. You have to force yourself to work and live a little bit hungry at times during the day for this to happen.

I have found the best way is to skip breakfast and eat your first meal at noon. Do this over a week, and you will notice a change.

Right now as I type this, it is 9:30 in the morning and I have been up for a couple hours. My last meal last night was at 7 pm, and I ate half of a pizza that I augmented with mozzarella cheese.

I know my stomach is empty, but I don't have the urge to eat anything. I might go downstairs and make some toast, but then again I might not. I am thinking about what I might do today and this weekend.

Food is not an obsession with me.

I don't know what I will have for lunch, and haven't planned anything for dinner. I might finish off the pizza tonight.

Don't know.

Don't really care.

I am concerned with other things.

I now have the genetics of a naturally thin person!

You can too.

Wish there was a Like button :flowerforyou:

This is fantastic! I have been implementing intermittent fasting in one form or another for the last few years and I can tell you the big takeaway for me has been... it's ok to be hungry once in a while.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As an idea, for me at around 12.5 stone too, looking back I did an hour's running at an average of around 9mins/mile and burned just over 750 calories according to my motoactv.
    That felt reasonably intense for me doing that, though 'managable' - I was running with a friend and generally my pace was a little better, but meant I'd slow down to let him catch up.
    (Sadly this was last year and I'm a bit out of practice now :( ).

So, either one of us is drastically different as far as running efficiency goes, or one of our calculators is out.
    To me the 750 feels congruent with other stuff.

My usual advice is to look to 'starting strength' or similar weight program - I find the 3x5 of each exercise particularly not-nasty.
    As you only have to do five movements at a time, you know it's going to be over soon, etc.

But yes, on the above; for fairly steady-state cardio, put me on an offorad motorbike, mountain bike. playing tennis maybe or similar and I'll want to keep going for a fair bit longer.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell yes, because in general you can sustain cardio exercise for longer. People can run marathons which can take 3,4,5,6, etc. hours. You arent going to do strength training for that long.

By running for an hour you can burn around 1,000 calories. Again you are unlikely to get anywhere near that from a strength training session.

are you running like 100MPH../?????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - if you do not like cardio then ditch and go with a program of compound lifts and maybe one cardio session per week, like HIIT..

I do an upper/lower split and one cardio session a week...is working for me...
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    In a nutshell yes, because in general you can sustain cardio exercise for longer. People can run marathons which can take 3,4,5,6, etc. hours. You arent going to do strength training for that long.

By running for an hour you can burn around 1,000 calories. Again you are unlikely to get anywhere near that from a strength training session.

are you running like 100MPH../?????

About 9mph
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Most people that say "I hate cardio" generally mean "I hate steady state cardio" - that slow grind that seems to go on and on. Personally I love distance running, but it's just not for everyone.

But cardio doesn't have to be that. Cardio can be a game of basketball, or tennis, or soccer. It can be mountain climbing, or hiking. Kayaking, swimming, surfing. Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating. Skateboarding, cycling, rollerblading. Gymnastics, martial arts, dancing. Circuit training, crossfit. It can be anything that elevates your heart rate for an extended period of time.

And it has benefits far beyond weight loss (which it isn't even necessary for, just helpful). I suggest trying to find an activity that you do enjoy. Your heart will thank you.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you walk 30 minutes a day? if so, thats cardio. you can lose weight by resistance training and doing weights, yes. in fact, its better for weightloss because it gives you definition and you burn more calories.

I definitely don't suggest eating under 1400 calories a day though.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Most people that say "I hate cardio" generally mean "I hate steady state cardio" - that slow grind that seems to go on and on. Personally I love distance running, but it's just not for everyone.

But cardio doesn't have to be that. Cardio can be a game of basketball, or tennis, or soccer. It can be mountain climbing, or hiking. Kayaking, swimming, surfing. Skiing, snowboarding, ice skating. Skateboarding, cycling, rollerblading. Gymnastics, martial arts, dancing. Circuit training, crossfit. It can be anything that elevates your heart rate for an extended period of time.

And it has benefits far beyond weight loss (which it isn't even necessary for, just helpful). I suggest trying to find an activity that you do enjoy. Your heart will thank you.

Not me, unfortunately. About as close as I get to cardio is sets of 8 reps lol.

I get my heart rate up enough at work to suit me just fine. Personally, lifting heavy and controlling deficit through diet is my preferred way to go.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Most people that say "I hate cardio" generally mean "I hate steady state cardio" - that slow grind that seems to go on and on. Personally I love distance running, but it's just not for everyon.

This.

"Cardio" is a boring activity by nature. No one "does cardio" for any length of time. Find an actual activity you enjoy and do that. It might be running, it might be skating, it might be playing frisbee with the dog.

Also keep in mind the benefits of exercise don't come solely from getting your heart rate up. The improvement in psychological condition from being active in a way that is enjoyable and fulfilling is enormous.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I enjoy both cardio and weights. But not the kind of cardio that you get indoors. Go buy a f*cking bike, it'll change your life and your perspective of cardio.

That's easy to say, but for some of us biking isn't an option 365 days a year.

I don't know of a single place where biking isn't an option 365 days/year. If you think it gets too cold in the winter, you need to man up, get the right gear, and hit the snow!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    1) I really don't suggest only eating 1200 calories. 2) Don't like cardio? Don't do it. You can lose without it. 3) Do your BMR & TDEE calculations.... subtract 500cals from your TDEE (unless it goes below your BMR) and that's what you eat. 4) Lift for workout instead of cardio.... it will help burn more fat and tone you up as you go.

I lift 3x/week for only about 20min.... I go for a walk, play with my dogs, play the wii or whatever a few times a week to make sure my burn is where it should be (around 2000cals/day most of the time) and I'm losing. When I was spending 2hrs/day at the gym I wasn't.

Weightloss is 75% food. Although cardio is good for your heart, etc... I only use it to "gain" more calories to eat, when needed (like Christmas day for example... I'll probably go for a run to burn off the sweets). Look at marathoners... most of them are super skinny. I want to look like a lifter.... not a runnner. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I absolutely dislike doing cardio.

Define Cardio. fwiw after any CV work in the gym, standfast rowing, I'm ready to tear someones head off. It's tedious, so it's not surprising people dont like it. I run, cycle and swim.
    Would it be possible to lose weight significantly by eating 1200 a day and doing toning/strenght exercices?

Yes, the purpose of resistance training is to maintain, improve muscle capacity and structure. You needn't do any cardiovascular work at all, although it's complementary to everything else. Resistance work will improve secific strength and endurance, improving your heart health will keep you going much longer and drive more benefit from your other training.

fwiw I don't enjoy weight training, it's boring and fails to either stimulate me or give me the stress relieving benefits of a good run or ride. I do it because it reduces my risk of injury when running and rowing, but it's oriented towards that objective, so moderate weight and repetition. Get it over with as quickly as possible so that I can go and do something more interesting. sticking needles in my eyes, that kind of thing :)
  • Austinetc
    Austinetc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll be a contrarian in the room.

Learn to tolerate "cardio", however you define the word. Do not give up what you want MOST for what you want NOW (i.e., now you want to NOT DO cardio). It's a problem to limit the exercises you will do. Runners who don't like treadmills or cold weather have an excuse to gain weight in the Winter, but is it a good excuse?

I can't believe that very many people enjoy using an elliptical trainer and pedaling for an hour. I did an hour this morning on one and at least three times thought to myself, "Can't I reduce the time?" The answer was "Not if you want to ride a bicyling Century in March and not suck at it!" In a warped sort of way, it's a pleasureable feeling to get off the damn thing realizing I'd just spend a hour doing someting I dislike. I pushed through the boredom.

Yes, maybe there have been some suggested activites on this thread that you will enjoy. But my take is that you should also be willing to do what you don't like so that you can someday do the things that you do like. It's all a means to an end.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You absolutely need cardio!!!!! Its good for your soul you just haven't found the right kind of exercise!!! Go take a class martial art styles gets the fustration of the day out! Or finishing a whole track in a step class without wiping out or having a coronary is such a high!!! Get outdoors and hike or snowshoe enjoy nature!!!! I loathe the treadmills and elipticals and running but have found other things that are a cardio workout that just make me feel so damn good
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The improvement in psychological condition from being active in a way that is enjoyable and fulfilling is enormous.

Can not say it any better...