Surprisingly good/bad food!!

Options
This is just something I wanted to start out of curiosity more than anything else.

I was wondering if there have been foods that have surprised you once you started logging them on MFP.

My absolute favourite meal for a long time was always a pack of the spicy sausage tortellini from asda, a pot of the dolmio tomato and pepperoni stir in sauce, and about half of a Matteson's spicy sausage chopped through. OK, I knew that it wasn't exactly a salad but I was shocked the first time I logged it on MFP and it tallied up at about 1400 calories in a bowl (and when I was bigger, I used to have it with a baked potato, and usually garlic bread, eek!), so that was taken off the menu. I had thought that my home-made mac & cheese would maybe be around the same and so kept that as a 'treat' for when I was really hungry, when I sat and logged all of the ingredients, nope, it came in at a whopping 2100 calories, so no more mac & cheese either (not even on a cheat day). On the other side, I had always though that something like chili-con-carne would be really high but when making my home-made chilli, by the time I had logged all of the ingredients and divided the total by 5 (I portion, and freeze), it was only 550 calories.

Has anyone found anything like this since they started using MFP?
Any foods that you would recommend avoiding? or things that are better than first thought?

Replies

• AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    In all fairness you could lighen your sauage pasta and mac and cheese quite easily, just tweak the ingredients :) *
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    This is just something I wanted to start out of curiosity more than anything else.

I was wondering if there have been foods that have surprised you once you started logging them on MFP.

My absolute favourite meal for a long time was always a pack of the spicy sausage tortellini from asda, a pot of the dolmio tomato and pepperoni stir in sauce, and about half of a Matteson's spicy sausage chopped through. OK, I knew that it wasn't exactly a salad but I was shocked the first time I logged it on MFP and it tallied up at about 1400 calories in a bowl (and when I was bigger, I used to have it with a baked potato, and usually garlic bread, eek!), so that was taken off the menu. I had thought that my home-made mac & cheese would maybe be around the same and so kept that as a 'treat' for when I was really hungry, when I sat and logged all of the ingredients, nope, it came in at a whopping 2100 calories, so no more mac & cheese either (not even on a cheat day). On the other side, I had always though that something like chili-con-carne would be really high but when making my home-made chilli, by the time I had logged all of the ingredients and divided the total by 5 (I portion, and freeze), it was only 550 calories.

Has anyone found anything like this since they started using MFP?
    Any foods that you would recommend avoiding? or things that are better than first thought?

On the tortellini packet it clearly states that half a pack contains 400-500 calories. How could you be surprised?
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Granola. I love Sainsbury's strawberry granola, a portion is 50g and when I weighed my bowl it contained about 150g. With the milk that came to about 800 calories.
    When I weighed out the 50g the portion hardly seemed worthwhile so I gave up eating it.
    I do sometimes have 20g scattered over a plain yoghurt with a teaspoon of honey (but it's not the same!)

You can make a pretty good lower cal. Macaroni cheese by not putting butter in the white sauce, just use cornflour and skimmed milk but use a full fat strong mature cheddar. Don't use low fat cheese, you'll wreck the flavour. My family didn't even notice the difference when I cut the fat down in the recipe!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Calorie count doesn't make foods good or bad...
  • Swiftdogs
    Swiftdogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Calorie count doesn't make foods good or bad...

While that's true, change the intent of the question to "worth it" and "not worth it." For me, lean beef and pork were pleasant surprises.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Although high in sodium, beef jerky is surprisingly low in calories and high in protein. I have tried to eat this as my "late night munchie" rather than pizza or ice cream over the past few years.

You can eat practically anything green - leaf lettuce, escarole, kale, collard greens - and you can add sausage or ham with beans and this is a filling meal and doesn't cost too many calories.

Whitefish can fill me up for a meal, whether baked or fried, and again surprisingly low in total calories. If you like salmon, there are a lot of recipes for baking or grilling on the internet that really makes outstanding meals and low calories.

Finally, one of my biggest surprises when I first started counting calories, was my homemade marinara sauce. It hardly has any calories, and the natural sugars from the tomatoes and vegetables in the sauce is nutritious. I know that this will sound weird, but I can eat a serving of my marinara sauce by itself for a snack - nothing else.

These are just a few of my favorites - I hope this helps.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly, no foods are inherently good/bad! :grumble:
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    kfc mini breast fillets.. like a 110ish calories each i think
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Cooked bacon. The calories on the package always blew my mind how high it was - but I never realized it meant uncooked.

I didn't realize how low the cals can go if you cook to cripsy and render out a lot of fat.
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think we all know what "good/bad" means in this context, just food that surprised us when we first logged it? (I see there's already shaping up to be an argument over how no food is inherently "bad", which I agree with, but clearly that's not what the OP means :smile: )

My surprise was avocados---I knew they were fatty (good fats, of course!) but I didn't realize they were over 200 calories for a whole one.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! (I'm glad I don't like it very much)
  • geeberfever
    geeberfever Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Woah!! I hadn't realized that either! Pretty crazy, but still a solid food!
  • mrbat
    mrbat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Shocked at cottage cheese, and the sodium content. Also really ticked apples have so much sugar. I thought apples were supposed to be a healthy snack.:noway: :noway:
  • Matt24442
    Options
    In all fairness you could lighen your sauage pasta and mac and cheese quite easily, just tweak the ingredients :) *

Or twerk them
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Okay,I knew it was bad ... But it is the baddest...I shouldnt even eat fast food to begin with,but yesterday after a month and a half I drove by BK and gave in for my most favourite ever! Angry whopper ! And I did not have fries,neither soda. i thought I will may be hit 450-500 cals.. OH NOOOO! __WHOPPIN' 830 CALS.... Imagine that! So ,I quit once again from drive through.. dont judge,Im not an idiot.. might be little naive..* LITTLE* so Im paying for it today! I learned my lesson.. I log before I eat......
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Oh potatoes are surprisingly good IMO

All my friends were on their sweet potato kick. Talking that Glycemic Index jibberjabber (eye roll), but white potatoes hold their own!

LESS cals than Sweet Potato actually and a 2008 study done by the University of Sydney ranked the white potato #1 on the satiety scale. AKA it fills you up!

Also more potassium than a banana!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options

Or reduce the portion size and fill the plate with veggies.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Those little Brach's Neopolitan candies. About as big as an individually wrapped caramel, and 53cals/15fat.
  • Breepa123
    Breepa123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had one of these revelations only in the opposite direction. My boyfriend makes gumbo that is to die for, and his "secret" is to fry the ingredients in Crisco before he dumps them into the pot and simmers everything. That coupled with the pure deliciousness meant I was guessing that it would be around 800 calories a serving without the rice. But I watched him make it once and I weighed/measured all the ingredients as he went, and it turns out its a respectable 350 (give or take) calories per serving. If I go easy on the rice, I can easily fit it into my day. Unfortunately it is amazingly high in sodium, but I don't have any problems with blood pressure or anything so I mainly care about the calories.
  • AnsiStar
    AnsiStar Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Shocked at cottage cheese, and the sodium content. Also really ticked apples have so much sugar. I thought apples were supposed to be a healthy snack.:noway: :noway:

...they still are