Drop it Like a Squat - Showed them boys how to do it

Options
JimieLou
JimieLou Posts: 273 Member
So it's close to Christmas and all the college boys are home in our small town. I almost chickened out and didn't go to the gym when I saw them all there. But I was like "damn I have my gym clothes on and everything. I can do this. I belong here too. Going into the school weight room as a female teacher I kind of got strange looks. As I loaded my weight I can feel them kinda smirking (they're cocky boys). Then I start lifting alongside them. Their smirks turn into raised eyebrows of amazement. I don't lift even a fraction of what they were but I think they were shocked a woman was even there lifting and that I knew what I was doing. Overhead press, bench press, barbell squat and deadlifts. Didn't go anywhere near the cute little rubber covered multicolored dumbbell set that only go up to ten pounds. As I was working my last set I even had one of the more polite young men tell me I had good form. There was a younger boy there who was with his big brother who you could tell was totally awestruck that a "girl teacher" was lifting with the boys.

Hugest NSV for me in a long time. I'm a lady and I lift weights!

Replies

• horsebeauti
    horsebeauti Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! It took me until a few days ago to dive right in the "dudes section" at the gym. Not so scary anymore.
  • Natley
    Natley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome!! I get intimidated too - but lifting is so good for us!
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!! One of the things I love about being a women that lifts heavy is that you get respected for going in there and getting things done. Especially when you keep racking more weight onto the barbell. Man I love those looks I get :tongue:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! When I was growing up, there were almost as many girls in the weight room as there were boys. If I were to go back now however, I would be so intimidated! Good for you for overcoming and showing them how it's done!
  • kelsiekae
    Options
    The title of this post alone made my day! Thank you for that! (Currently singing "Dropit like a squat" in my head and laughing to myself at my desk).

Major congrats on your workout today! That's so awesome that you went in there and rocked it :) You should feel proud of all your accomplishments!
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    WTG... glad you did not turn around.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    That's a huge NSV! There are many times I'm the only chick in the weight area at my gym and you just gotta own it, even if it's intimidating. I am really thrilled to say that as of lately there are more and more women in the weight area at my gym. Good stuff!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Show no fear!
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Love this! :heart: :drinker:
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Awesome; good for you!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    This is awesome!!!
  • sschneider1202
    Options
    Way to go! Such an accomplishment! Great job!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I would be embarrassed, but I think if I had a couple training sessions to make sure my form was correct I wouldn't feel so uncomfortable. I lift from home and only let my husband watch.
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    That is amazing ... I used to get the same attention in my college gym. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

50540473.png
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • cynthiagriffin794
    Options
    I feel ya....I'm a lady that lifts weights too....My trainer is also a lady that lifts weights....
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Awesome. It is fun to show them what women can do. I was dubbed one of the dudes at the gym in the past few months. Not sure how i feel about that but, haha. :)
  • Ailorn
    Ailorn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So cool! you rock!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!