Alli

Options
I've decided, after much research, to get Alli. I'm at a point in my life where I truelly believe it will make a differance. I know I am doing all I can at the moment. But my plateau breakers are not working. so for now liquid diet, then next week (or two, according to how many more things we have to pay for the military ball) I am getting it. The various websites I've read (including consumerreasearch.com, and msnbc.com) seem like it works well. And the people who bought it say they have lost substantial amounts of weight.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share. :)

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The problem my wife found when taking it, if you are already eating good, she found herself having to eat more just to eat enough to make it work, she basically thought, well I just wont eat the extra to make it work and she didnt need it.
  • Jessiez1423
    Options
    you might want to stay home until you know how your body reacts...i've had more then one person tell me that they literally crapped themselves! I'd hate for you to have that side effect at the mall or gym or something!!
  • DanL66712
    Options
    I’m sure you’ve looked into all the side effects of Alli. Good luck to you I say. I’m not quite sure what sort of response you are going to get to using Alli on these boards. Most people are supportive, but Alli seems to have a particular stigma attached to it. I would suggest, before you start, that you spend a week eating no more than 15g of fat in your meals so that when you do start it, you will be a) better prepared for meals and thus less likely to experience any of the nastier side effects and b) your body will have got rid of all the undigested fat that you are yet to process through your system – it could be messy otherwise!
    Feel free to add me as a friend, I’d be intrigued to see how your Alli experience goes!
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've thought about taking it myself but it litterally will make you think its just a fart and have more than that coming out. Be careful about how much fat you have in your diet before starting it. Or be smart about getting used to it if you can't just stay home the first few days and get some depends. At least then you won't be ruining any clothes while out in public. I know depends scream old lady to most people but its better than crapping in your pants and having that to deal with. They just get thrown away. Good luck with it though! It is FDA approved so hopefully it will work for you.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i've read the "crappy" side effects...but i'm not one who consumes alot of greasy foods. The more fat/grease you consume the more oily and loose your bowels. Grease upsets my tummy.

I consider it more of an aid than "the answer".

I will, as ya'll suggested, need to count my fat intake closely.

On here I more often go over in sugar than fat.

thanks for the kind words.I was unsure what response to expect. though I respect anyones right to disagree. i just figured, since i'm eating low cal and working my butt off, with no real reslts, it might aid me. ya know?

hugs!
  • pandas10
    pandas10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I took this as Xenical, back before it was for over the counter use.
    You are right that you will want to watch your fat intake - but it isn't even eating greasy foods that will cause problems. If you eat any foods that have a higher fat content (although they might still be healthy), it can cause problems. If you already eat a low fat diet, you really shouldn't take this; fat doesn't necessarily make you fat and your body needs fat for it to function properly. You also will need to increase your intake of fat soluble vitamins, as the body will excrete them while taking this.
    As for the side effects, it is one thing to read of them. . . but believe me, you ABSOLUTELY will know when you have eaten even just a little too much. . . Not only can it cause some extreme gasiness, but the worst is leakage - and the smell is very noticeable and unpleasant.
    Keep these things in mind; and don't be afraid to try other combinations, such as lower sugar/carb (or low glycemic carbs), or adding in a little more calories to get over the hump.
    Good Luck.
  • kernalwizard
    Options
    The best combination EVER..........myfitnesspal (on your phone if possible) and Alli. Why?

If you religiously and honestly keep your food diary up to date (very easy if you have an app on your phone) and follow and keep within the recommended daily calorie allowance you ARE going to lose weight and you shouldn't have any of the potentially embarrassing anal leakages that you hear about.

I've experienced one 'episode' in the four weeks I've been taking it. Why? I ate too much fat (couldn't resist a slice of cake after my main Sunday family meal which already met my fat allowance) and I still had an alli pill.

The key point is, if you know you're over (or likely to go over) your 15g fat budget for a particular meal you need to make sure that you don't take your usual alli pill. Skip it and resume as normal for the following meal/day.

Truth of it is if you strictly follow your myfitnesspal allowance you will lose weight. The food diary makes you more aware of what you are eating and puts you in control. Alli just boosts whatever weight you would ordinarily lose through myfitnesspal alone.

I guess we're all here for same reason and what works for one may not work for another. For me it's working and I'm loving the results. 11lb's lost in 4 weeks. I'm well pleased.

Once I get down to my target weight I'll stop taking Alli but I think I'll continue to use the myfitnesspal app on my iPhone as my main method of maintaining that target weight.

Good luck whatever you do and however you do it.