Dying to get my confidence back!

Options
I am currently on a weight loss journey to lose 70 pounds and I am doing ok. I've lost a total of 18 pounds since nov 12th (starting at 196) and I plan to start hitting the gym once I get to my 20 pound mark (so in a few days). However, I have one tiny problem! I AM ADDICTED TO STEPPING ON THE SCALE THROUGHOUT THE DAY. Is there anything I can do to remedy that?

Replies

• deniseszepi1
    Options
    Hi, I need to lose about 70 more pounds, lost 35 last year but can't seem to start up again, my body seems to say"I like you here" but I hate where I am at! I to get on the scale and that seems to set the tone for my day, up 1 pound down 2 it changes all the time. They say you are suppose to weigh yourself once a week, but I Can't seem to do that!
  • sameena2013
    Options
    hi i started from 193 and i am at 180...i started from nov 14th but since i started exercising from nov 21st i want to see my weight only on 21st dec thats tomorrow- ive told my family to hide scales from me as simple as that..i used to do like u and end up being disappointed..dont worry we will all be fir again if we stick to a healthy diet and exercise regime
    All the best
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey Darlin! Congrats on making the commitment to losing weight and getting your health back! You seem to have a plan figured out and that is so great!! Mu suggestion as far as the scale goes, get rid of it!!! Honestly, I know weighing in is important but at the same time it's not. You'll be losing water weight, gaining muscle weight, the scale is about numbers. You need a measuring tape which will tell you how many inches you are losing around your body. And maybe if you can find a BMI tool as well.
    I workout 6 days a week and eat pretty well. I weighed in one day after a couple months and saw I'd gained weight! I felt smaller tho and better...so get rid of the scale for awhile! That's my advice :)
  • aggiegirl121
    aggiegirl121 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for the responses! I took the battery out of my scale and told my roommate to hide it far, far away! Lol, so I am going to do my best to stay away from weighing myself and invest in a measuring tape! Once again thank you all so much and good luck on your weight loss journeys! :)
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! I feel like everyone else Ditch the Scale!! I never weigh myself because for some strange reason I overeat if I have a loss seems strange but true. I have clothes in all different sizes so when I want to weigh myself I just try on clothes. I don't seem to overeat when a pair of jeans that I have not worn in a long time now fit!!!
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    The scale can be a problem for me as well, but I have to keep it. Just choose your weigh-in day, and put it out of sight the rest of the week. Put it in a place that would be annoying to get to. That way you won't see it, and won't be tempted. Hope this helps!
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    Thank you ladies!
  • mrbat
    mrbat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. I HAVE THE OPPOSITE PROBLEM. I AM SCARED TO STEP ON THE SCALE. I HAD TO AT THE DOCTORS OFFICE. NOW THAT I AM ON MFP I'M NOW RE-AQUAINTING MYSELF WITH THE SCALE:(
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    I think you're on to something! That is an awesome idea!, *goes to buy goal size jeans* for motivation! :)
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. I HAVE THE OPPOSITE PROBLEM. I AM SCARED TO STEP ON THE SCALE. I HAD TO AT THE DOCTORS OFFICE. NOW THAT I AM ON MFP I'M NOW RE-AQUAINTING MYSELF WITH THE SCALE:(
    Omg if only I was scared to step on the scale! I would be golden! :)
    Congrats on joining MFP btw and good luck on your journey! :)
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do the SAME THING!!! I had my mom hide my scale and after a week, I didn't even notice it was gone. Once you start to see how your body is changing, the scale doesn't mean so much anymore. You just have to remember that the more you step on the scale, the more you're setting yourself up for disappointment and that benefits...well, no one. Especially girls haha. It's cliche, but the number is just a number - the only number you should be focusing on is your pants size. When that changes, you'll change your mind. Congrats on the weight loss though, that's awesome! Keep it up!
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    I do the SAME THING!!! I had my mom hide my scale and after a week, I didn't even notice it was gone. Once you start to see how your body is changing, the scale doesn't mean so much anymore. You just have to remember that the more you step on the scale, the more you're setting yourself up for disappointment and that benefits...well, no one. Especially girls haha. It's cliche, but the number is just a number - the only number you should be focusing on is your pants size. When that changes, you'll change your mind. Congrats on the weight loss though, that's awesome! Keep it up!
    Thank you! :)
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well the title of this thread doesn't really tie in to your comment. Is your confidence shot due to what the scale says? Weight fluctuates during the day, so only weigh yourself in the morning and no other time of day.

But for confidence - exercise will really help build confidence. I don't understand why you want to get to a certain weight before you begin to exercise. Don't put it off - it can be very challenging but also very rewarding!
  • aggiegirl121
    Options
    Well the title of this thread doesn't really tie in to your comment. Is your confidence shot due to what the scale says? Weight fluctuates during the day, so only weigh yourself in the morning and no other time of day.

But for confidence - exercise will really help build confidence. I don't understand why you want to get to a certain weight before you begin to exercise. Don't put it off - it can be very challenging but also very rewarding!

My mom doesn't understand why I want to hit 20 pounds first either.. I am the type of person who likes order, so once I have one thing set in stone I don't really enjoy straying from my plan. I know that may sound strange, but that's just who I have always been.