Transitioning from losing weight to getting fit/toned

Options
Hello,

I've managed to lose some weight in the last months (108kg to 96kg) and have like 3-6kg more to go to reach my own ideal weight (1.84m, male, 31 years, with a broad back and with fat mostly clinging onto my thighs rather than belly). I mainly lost weight by eating less (~1500kcal net). I've certainly lost not only fat but also muscle mass as well in the last months, although I feel that I'm relatively stronger than before (eg my legs "enjoy" walking faster now).

I'm looking for advice on slowly easing into gaining some muscle mass while losing the last few kilos and/or maintaining my weight thereafter. I don't really care about improving looks per se, it's more about feeling fitter and taking better care of myself (ie doing some work on my core).

I guess it will be some mix of strength and cardio training I have to do. However, how can this go hand in hand with the upcoming calorie intake changes? Making sure to not eat too much sugar or fat but at the same time eating sufficient protein, is that it? Can/Should I really work on strength training before I reached my target weight?

Last but not least, when coming from a low fitness and especially strength level just after having lost much weight, is it feasible to be more radical than to ease into it (a couple of years ago I tried P90X for a few weeks and thought that this might give me what I need right now)?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Here's the issue. You're not going to gain appreciable muscle mass while dropping weight. You might throw on a pound or two of "noob gains", but that's it. The body doesn't build muscle (appreciably) in a deficit. You should have been lifting from the get go. Lifting in a deficit ensures you maintain as much muscle mass as possible while losing mostly fat while in your caloric deficit.

You shouldn't really have a target "weight', but a target measurement. The tape measure is a far better indicator of progress than the scale is.

Edit: Why is "taking better care of myself" supposed to mean "doing some work on my core"?
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you should have been weight training all along, that way you would have to do double the work because as you lost fat your "fit/toned" boned would have been in the making and would be slowly revealing itself.

start strength training with a program like starting strength, strong lifts or new rules of lifting for women.
  • gr34t
    gr34t Posts: 15
    Options
    You shouldn't really have a target "weight', but a target measurement. The tape measure is a far better indicator of progress than the scale is.

Edit: Why is "taking better care of myself" supposed to mean "doing some work on my core"?

Thank you.

Basically, this means that I should start with strength training as soon as possible, ie today. Understood.

The thing about target weight vs measurement is that I personally don't really see much of a difference in the value of measurements. Yes, my clothing size has dropped, yes, others think I've lost a lot of weight, I do see in the mirror that I'm slimmer than before, but I don't feel that different. If others comment, I always think: "what's the big deal?". While I agree that measurements are generally a more appropriate indicator, they simply don't matter much to me. Hence, closing in on a target weight gives me more of a feeling of achievement. And if I then start becoming fitter while maintaining the weight, I can even lose an inch more.

As for the core workout: I understand that "unfit" core muscles lead to all sorts of problems and risks while "unfit" muscles in most other areas are mostly an inconvenience.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I would follow a program like stronglifts or starting strength. Stronglifts has a free PDF online and videos on YouTube. Also, I'd start increasing your net week on week by 50-100 cals until u reach a point where u can easy maintain your weight without too much trouble. In the course of doing that I'm sure you will lose the last bit of weight and increase your strength
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why were you not doing it before??

Definitely start weight training YESTERDAY.

Strong lifts
    Starting Strength
    New Rules of Lifting

all winning
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

Thank you.

Basically, this means that I should start with strength training as soon as possible, ie today. Understood.

The thing about target weight vs measurement is that I personally don't really see much of a difference in the value of measurements. Yes, my clothing size has dropped, yes, others think I've lost a lot of weight, I do see in the mirror that I'm slimmer than before, but I don't feel that different. If others comment, I always think: "what's the big deal?". While I agree that measurements are generally a more appropriate indicator, they simply don't matter much to me. Hence, closing in on a target weight gives me more of a feeling of achievement. And if I then start becoming fitter while maintaining the weight, I can even lose an inch more.

As for the core workout: I understand that "unfit" core muscles lead to all sorts of problems and risks while "unfit" muscles in most other areas are mostly an inconvenience.

OK, then you want to pass the mirror test. This comes from your deficit and lifting. If you don't lift you lose both LBM and fat, giving you a smaller version of yourself. You're smaller, but you don't think you look any different.

I'm ~210lbs, but look smaller than guys my height in the 180's. That's because I have a low BF% and maintained as much mass as I could through lifting while being in a deficit and getting my cardio in.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Muscle burns fat, strength training is an essential part of a training program. Actually, there should have been more weight training and less cardio overall. This prevents saggy skin, etc. Pounds do not matter, I weigh the same as certain people and I am 10 sizes smaller. So just focus on looking good and feeling good.