What pregnancy workouts do you do?

Options
Hi everybody!

Just reaching out....I'm not new to MFP, but am new to being preggo, am about 10 weeks. I was just wondering what sort of workouts my preggo females are doing/if any. First time with this so any tips/advise is welcome. I'm an Sean T insanity, Beachbody workout girl - so I'm used to working out 6 days a week + running. I'm doing the Tracy Anderson Project as it's for preggo women :)

Anybody else doing this workout? Its okay, and actually about right for me now that I have 0 energy.

Replies

• daynasrose
    daynasrose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! You should be able to do whatever you were doing prior to becoming pregnant. Just listen to your body and don't let your heart rate get too high.

am currently 22 weeks pregnant with my third child. In my past two pregnancies I was an avid runner and ran 2-5miles/day 3-4 times a week up until I hit around 32 weeks. This time around I was weight lifting before becoming pregnant and had not run in a year. So my workouts right now consist of 30-40 minutes of brisk walking or run/walk intervals followed by weight training for 20 minutes. I was able to keep up the intensity until about 16 weeks pregnant but have since lightened the weight, increased reps and increased cardio time.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I've kept up my running routine, but I find that I tire so quickly in my insanity/like workouts. I've actually incorporated yoga too b/c for some reason I feel like I am always in need of a good stretch...

Happy Holidays :)

-E
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your pregnancy! I did whatever I was doing prior to being pregnant, with the bessing of my doctor, of course. I was running until about the 3rd month of pregnancy just because I was so out of breath and my boobies hurt every time I took a step! After that I did stationary bike and some stairstepping. Once I became too big to feel like doing anything, I just went walking as much as possible.

If you want to do high impact cardio while pregnant, I would definitely do lots of stretches, maybe even some yoga beforehand and afterwards. I'm sure you've heard this already, but your ligaments are loosening to accommodate a growing baby. Be very careful not to get injured. :-)
  • juliehhallberg
    juliehhallberg Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant with my youngest (he's 15 months now), I walked 4 miles a day, 5 days per week. I wore a HRM and kept my heart rate within the acceptable range for pregnancy. I was way heavier then than I am now so I only gained 8 lbs during my entire pregnancy, and I fully attribute that to continuing to exercise. My labor and recovery were also much easier!

As long as you listen to your body and keep track of your heart rate, I think you're good to go with what you're used to.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I am currently 5 1/2 months pregnant with #2... my workouts right now consist of Crossfit 4-5x a week, as well as a spinning class or a swim here and there. I had to take 2 months off between month 3-5 because of complications with the placenta but now im back and doing well. Just remember pregnancy is not some disease lol.. its a natural part of life and most cultures continue doing lots of lifting and work because that's life lol. Listen to your body and when it tells you to slow down, then do so. Take breaks, drink water, and enjoy this time. All the hard work you do while you are pregnant will make recovery so much easier once the baby comes.. I was back in my bikini 10 weeks after feeling great :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm 14wks with my first and my trainer only modified a few things in my workout. I'm lifting 3x a week and cardio I'm doing the elliptical and walking on the treadmill (either fast or on an incline). I was running up until about 8 weeks but I was never a RUNNER runner, I only did it for cardio a few times a week, so I found my heart rate was getting too high to quickly.

The only things my trainer pulled out of my routine completely was anything where I was laying on my back on the floor and planks, she has me doing crunches on an exercise ball now instead.