HIIT Jump Rope good cardio?

Options
So I'm sick of running and decided to switch it up with some jump rope. I've been doing HIIT jump rope for 30 minutes a day. I do high knees, butt kicks and try to speed it up as fast as I can for 1 minute intervals. How good of a cardio workout is this?

Replies

• paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Jump rope is fantastic for cardio!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah epecially if you're doing all that, it sounds like it's pretty good cardio.

Not going to get much muscle development from it though, not like sprinting and other forms of HIIT that incorporate some kind of anaerobic exercise into the mix.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Provided you can go at a pace that's sufficient to leave you winded after that 30 seconds without tripping up on the rope (in other words, not a beginner) yes, it's fantastic cardio. 30 minutes of HIIT though is a bit much. Most of the best jump rope workouts only have you going for 10-15 minutes. There's a reason for that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's great, but like CP said, 30 mins is a bit much
  • BossLadyDSimp
    BossLadyDSimp Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Good post ... keep up the good work

50540473.png
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    30 minute of legit jump rope is a TON!

We do it in TRX class, 1 minute in an eternity. I'm a distance runner (40+ miles per week), but this is a totally different deal.

Good luck!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    It's better than running. Try tabata skipping for a lung busting workout
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I DO THIS!!!
    WORKS
    try hula hoop.
    men do it too
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You could also do double unders if you get bored and want to change the setup a little :)
  • 24Sept
    24Sept Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to promote bone density :-)