protein shakes

Options
When is the best time to consume a protein shake? Before or after hitting the weights??
and should I drink one in the morning also? And how many oz's should I drink..sorry so many questions im on noob mode..lol

Replies

• UndoneTwo
    Options
    I came here intending to start a thread asking about protein shakes... And yours was the first one up. Mind if I piggyback? I'm wondering if it is okay to drink protein shakes without doing intense weight training? I do primarily cardio, with a teensy bit of strength training, but I seem to be struggling to get enough protein in my diet. Any thoughts? (P.S. If you want me to get out of here and start my own protein shake thread I totally can! lol)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    When is the best time to consume a protein shake? Before or after hitting the weights??
    and should I drink one in the morning also? And how many oz's should I drink..sorry so many questions im on noob mode..lol

Is there a reason you're having protein shakes instead of just eating real food?

I would only include them if you can't get enough protein through other sources. Oz isn't really relevant, it's the grams of protein you need to worry about. You should have macro goals to meet each day for protein, fat and carbs - have enough protein to meet these goals.
  • walking_above
    Options
    Actually I've yet to have a protein shake,I do just eat food instead of protein shakes
    I'd just like to know if ur supposed to drink them before or after a workout.Just out of curiosity,because there may be a time
    when I can't scarf something down after a workout and just wanna have a protein shake to go. And my daily protein goal is 107 grams a day,I just didn't know if like lets say u had 3oz of protein powder in a drink,how many grams would u be getting.Anyway sorry I dont know! Lol
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Actually I've yet to have a protein shake,I do just eat food instead of protein shakes
    I'd just like to know if ur supposed to drink them before or after a workout.Just out of curiosity,because there may be a time
    when I can't scarf something down after a workout and just wanna have a protein shake to go.

Either or neither or both. Eat when you like! Protein after a workout will help with recovery...but it's likely you'll be eating a meal not after?
  • walking_above
    Options
    Get outta here! Jk I dont mind piggy back away!
  • walking_above
    Options
    Ok so after for recovery,ok cool thats what I wanted to know thanks!
  • Queen732
    Options
    I enjoy my protein shake (Raw Organic) after my workouts around 7am every morning.
    Recipe:
    1 cup of Almond Milk, 1cup of Frozen Fruit, Hand full of something green (Spinach usually) 1 Scoop of Protein Powder...
    And WaaLa!!!
    My works are usually at 5:30am alternating with an intense Cardio or Weight Training Class for 60 minutes. And I don't eat anything before class. So once I get home, I'm ready to Nurti-Bullet it and start my day. Holds me over til about 10am, and that's when I have my eggs or oatmeal. I call that my "Next Breakfast"...lol
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    when I can't scarf something down after a workout and just wanna have a protein shake to go. And my daily protein goal is 107 grams a day,I just didn't know if like lets say u had 3oz of protein powder in a drink,how many grams would u be getting.Anyway sorry I dont know! Lol

At this stage of the game, it's really a matter of preference. Drink it before or after your workout, or both. Or don't drink any at all and get all of your protein via normal food intake.

As far as the question around 3 ounces of protein powder and how many grams of protein powder that is - refer to your nutritional facts listed on the packaging itself. It depends on the brand and type.