Another loose skin question

Options
Yes, I am one of those people terrified about loose skin after losing weight, haha. I'm just starting out again on dieting, and I was wondering what women 5'5 or so who began at 220ish lbs faced as they lost weight?

Replies

• sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and started at 277. Im now 150. Honestly i do not have much skin at all. I have been very lucky. I have a little on my upper inner thighs, thats it so far. It's all about genetics but the loose skin is better than the fat any day!
  • ktcomplicated
    ktcomplicated Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and started at 217 and I'm currently 164 with no loose skin to speak of. It's partially genetics and partially the rate at which you lose weight; you want to give your skin time to catch up to your shifting weight.
  • princesstoadstool82
    Options
    Bump
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and was 224 at my heaviest and I am now 165 with no loose skin. I plan to get down to 130 -- not sure how my situation will be at that point, but I'm hopeful.

When I was at my biggest I worried about loose skin, but I'll take the skin over being fat ANY DAY.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", started at 243 and am now at 161ish. I've got loose skin. My inner thighs are the worst, but I have a little on my upper arms (I think that will tighten up) and some on my stomach. I'm also 45 and was fat for 20 years, so my skin won't bounce back the way a younger person's would.

I don't care one whit about the loose skin. I was fat, am less so now, and this is my body's way of reminding me what I did and what not to do again.
  • BabyLovesToRun
    BabyLovesToRun Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    When I was 21 I decided to go on a major diet. (I was stupid and did it the unhealthy way, but I'd been very heavy my whole life and I was just done with it. I basically ended up being an anorexic for a year. DON'T EVER DO THAT! ... anyway). I'm 5'6". My start weight then was 248 lbs. I went down to 125 lbs in 6 months. The only issue I had was just a little bit of loose skin on the stomach. Not a lot. You only noticed it when I sat. If I'd worked on toning up in the mid-section a little bit you would have never noticed it. So, don't be afraid! You'll be fine! It takes time for your skin to firm back up after dieting, anyhow. Up to 2 years after. The younger you are the better off you are.

I'm back here at it again. Started at 214 in Jan 2012 down to 173. I'm 29 now. My skin seems a little more loose this time around, but then again I still have a little over 40lbs to go so I'm not making a judgement just yet. =)
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    My highest weight was 280, I am currently in the low 160's.... I have alot of loose and extra skin, but I attribute it to the twin pregnancy that got me to 280 lbs. Lifting weights helps, but I chose surgery becuase I know alot of my issues can't be corrected otherwise.
  • allison_ortiz
    allison_ortiz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm a little bit taller 5'8", but I only have minimal loose skin and I started at 350lbs. They say even once your in maintenance mode for 6 mths - 1 year your skin will strink even more...the faster you lose tho the more likely you are to have more excess skin.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am one of those people terrified about loose skin after losing weight, haha. I'm just starting out again on dieting, and I was wondering what women 5'5 or so who began at 220ish lbs faced as they lost weight?

Age can certainly improve matters for most who do have to tolerate the "loose skin phase," only that one's GENETICS plays a greater part. Elasticity and Collagen levels can be low even amongst teens, so placing all hope on age for 'bounce back-ability is a tad risky ~ a road to disappointment /depression stemming from mass mentality ideals of an unrealistic end result. There are medical intervention techniques available outside the parameters of the extreme(tummy tuck/body lift et al) ~ Research!!
  • orinoss
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm 23 years old, and hoping to lose weight in a healthy manner.
  • FitBelleVie
    FitBelleVie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've lost 80 pounds over 18 months and was really scared of the loose skin because I have horrible skin elasticity. But as I've lost, I've worked out every day and I do core work and weights two days a week and I'm pleasantly surprised that I am tightening up more than I thought I would. I think losing more slowly has helped me above anything else.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,844 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 213,so I'm pretty close to your stats ; however, I'm 58, so some loose skin is a fact of life.

Although I never plan on rocking a bikini on the beach,
    slow and steady loss and bodyweight exercises have me looking pretty sleek for a grandma. You are young, so that will help a great deal.

Also, your body will continue to change after you stop losing, so don't freak out if you get to your goal weight and are still a bit loose. Remember that a woman's body is designed to expand and then return to a regular size. Give yourself a year of maintenance before you even think that you have a problem.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and started at 213,so I'm pretty close to your stats ; however, I'm 58, so some loose skin is a fact of life.

Although I never plan on rocking a bikini on the beach,
    slow and steady loss and bodyweight exercises have me looking pretty sleek for a grandma. You are young, so that will help a great deal.

Also, your body will continue to change after you stop losing, so don't freak out if you get to your goal weight and are still a bit loose. Remember that a woman's body is designed to expand and then return to a regular size. Give yourself a year of maintenance before you even think that you have a problem.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:

This is awesome and sensible advice! So glad to have you on my friend list!
  • feitian
    feitian Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. It helps. I have been very fortunate to not have loose skin.
  • nicoleisme
    nicoleisme Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Bump, saved for later!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and started at 277. Im now 150. Honestly i do not have much skin at all. I have been very lucky. I have a little on my upper inner thighs, thats it so far. It's all about genetics but the loose skin is better than the fat any day!

I am 37, 5'6, started at 230 and down to 189. The only loose skin I notice this far is my upper inner thighs. I should be upset, because loose skin is less than desireable, but I saw it today and I was happy. It was the first real change I have been able to see in my body.
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Male - 5'8" 47 years old, started at 225, lost 82-82 pounds. Yes, I have loose skin on arms and stomach. But its better then being fat. I asked my Doctor about it, and he said younger persons, their skin wont be as loose, but because I was obese for years, he doesnt expect it to tighten up much.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that loose skin is way better than being fat! Though, I lose weight slowly, exercise (cardio and weights) and still have loose skin. :( I drink tons of water 10-12 a day. I guess I got a bad set of genes! I'm increasing my fat intake (good fats within reason) to hopefully help the situation.
  • l_clc
    l_clc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started at 220lbs and after an 80lb loss I have no loose skin. As long as you are working out and not losing too quickly I don't think you should worry too much about it! Good luck!
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started at 310 (5'4 female) and got down to 193. I don't have loose skin, I AM loose skin. I think it is the result of being at least 60 pounds overweight for over 20 years. I tend to wear elbow length or longer sleeves and pants, so it isn't too obvious, but I also wear oversized shapewear to keep the loose skin on my torso from being too obvious. I wear a large in shirts and a 2x in shapewear, because I don't really want it to hold me in, just smooth the extra skin.

I am single and it makes me very uncomfortable to think of being with someone new and having him see the loose skin.

ETA - I need to lose another 40-45 pounds and when I have, I will probably have surgery to remove the extra skin.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!