Surprisingly good/bad food!!

Options
2»

Replies

• kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Milkshakes.... from Sonic.... during the "every flavor possible on earth" flavor combo thing they did last summer. I wanted them all, I tried some, I started food logging, I quit them pretty quick. too hard to fit in when I started at 1200 calories (no longer at that level - but it did add to the pain)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Sigh. There is no such thing as good/bad food, just high cal/low cal. And calories are not bad, relatively speaking.

That said...Hostess Fruit Pies. 480 cals a pop, OMG!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i had this mushroom and quinoa thing from trader joe that was surprisingly bad. i seriously thought it was going to be better tasting but i couldnt even finish it :embarassed:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Shocked at cottage cheese, and the sodium content. Also really ticked apples have so much sugar. I thought apples were supposed to be a healthy snack.:noway: :noway:
    Why aren't apples a healthy snack? What's wrong with sugar?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Shocked at cottage cheese, and the sodium content. Also really ticked apples have so much sugar. I thought apples were supposed to be a healthy snack.:noway: :noway:

:huh: Not sure why apples are suddenly unhealthy.
  • julie_emma1
    Options
    Most surprising to me was italian sausage (at least the brand we used to buy). We used to put in our spaghetti sauce instead of ground beef sometimes, just for a change. But then when I started using MFP, I realized that the italian sausage we were buying was much higher in calories and saturated fat than the equivalent quantity of ground beef!

Another thing that surprised me was the sodium content in store-bought baked goods (e.g. bread, bagels, etc.)!
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My food surprise was that cottage cheese has more bulk per calorie but regular cheese has more calcium. That and I was consistently floored by how little sodium was in a lot of food being touted as healthy compared to what it took to keep headaches at bay last summer. Eventually I resigned myself to hiking my calories twice and eating pizza, lol.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    In all fairness you could lighen your sauage pasta and mac and cheese quite easily, just tweak the ingredients :) *

Or twerk them
    Lol now I'm going to be seeing twerking mac n cheese in my head for awhile
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    In all fairness you could lighen your sauage pasta and mac and cheese quite easily, just tweak the ingredients :) *

Or twerk them
    Lol now I'm going to be seeing twerking mac n cheese in my head for awhile

And now, for some reason, they are shaped like Miley Cyrus in my head. D:Nooooooo
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    PASTRY! I never knew how many calories were in just one sheet :noway: I cut that out immediately.
  • Queen732
    Options
    @%&**

LESSON LEARNED: Calculate your meal BEFORE you eat!
    CONSEQUENCE OF LESSON LEARNED:...Tea for dinner :mad:
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Lower calories than I expected: Guinness Stout. I thought it would be 200 calories or more for 12 oz, but it is only 125.

Higher calories than expected: Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Vanilla Yogurt. I thought it would be similar to the plain at 150 calories, but it is more like 260 for a cup*.

*Not bothering to look it up right now, but it is definitely 50-100 calories more per cup than the plain.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Lower calories than I expected: Guinness Stout. I thought it would be 200 calories or more for 12 oz, but it is only 125.

Higher calories than expected: Stonyfield Organic Whole Milk Vanilla Yogurt. I thought it would be similar to the plain at 150 calories, but it is more like 260 for a cup*.

*Not bothering to look it up right now, but it is definitely 50-100 calories more per cup than the plain.

Woa....what do they put in their yogurt ?
    I have for the last 16 years made my own yogurt from whole milk and a cup is 150 calories with absolutely nothing added. I make high fermented Greek Yogurt and the fermentation uses up the sugar in the yogurt and lowers calories. Of course since many companies make " fake " greek style yogurt and add stuff that makes it creamy and that has calories, maybe 260 calories is not that high. so far fetached.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Stoney field is one of the few companies that actually makes real greek yogurt.

My shock was yesterday. Sonic Double Bacon Burger. I thought it was going to be in the 700-850 range.

1250 calories! I should have just got a whopper and onion rings for that.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Woa....what do they put in their yogurt ?
    I have for the last 16 years made my own yogurt from whole milk and a cup is 150 calories with absolutely nothing added. I make high fermented Greek Yogurt and the fermentation uses up the sugar in the yogurt and lowers calories. Of course since many companies make " fake " greek style yogurt and add stuff that makes it creamy and that has calories, maybe 260 calories is not that high. so far fetached.

I looked it up, and it is 220 a cup, so 60 more calories than the plain according to the Web site (plain is 160, not 150). It seems to be all from the extra 18 grams of sugar they add to make it French vanilla.

Edited to fix quote problem.
  • Quantumanthem
    Options
    Okay this might or might not help but it is best (well for me anyway), unless you're completely sure about the product you're logging, to read from the supermarket packets when you're making your homemade food. :)

Many pasta sauces contain a lot of calories, not to mention sugar and sodium. If possible make them from scratch. Chilli con carne wouldn't surprise me for the low calories if you make it yourself.. e.g. don't add too much cheese if you can help it .

Not sure if I helped but there you are :)