Vegatable and Fruit Detox

Options
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking of trying a detox that a friend of mine told me about. They stated to me that while detoxing you can eat only vegetables and fruit for seven days. Here is the thing you can eat all the vegetgables and fruit that you want as long as you are detoxing. I have heard of a lot of people trying this but as you know everything is not for everyone. I wanted to get another opinion before I started the detox.

Please Help!! :smile:

Replies

• gunnarpalm
    gunnarpalm Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Be careful with any detox. I would talk to a professional nutritionist or doctor before I did any of those. They can be dangerous.

Good Luck!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Veggies are good, but if you eat too much fruit you'll be in the bathroom all week...and a week with no protein? You need some lean meats.
    How about instead of JUST fruits and veggies, you do fruits, veggies, lean meats and whole grains.
    That way you are still eating a balanced diet and not cutting out any whole food groups.
    Just cut out the junk food and eat only the good stuff.
    That's way healthier than any "detox diet".
  • Mgilgour
    Options
    I have done a detox like that, it is very very difficult. You think ohhh it's just 7 days...it is a long 7 days! I did lose about 10 pounds, but I also had a severe headache from not having any caffiene, and I also felt very drained and tired beginning midday of day 2 that lasted for 4 days. I did begin to feel really good when it was almost over. Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Your liver is meant for "detoxing" so you don't need to worry about detoxing

I agree with Robin, eat healthy, weigh your portions and move-it
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just don't see the point. It implies that there is something wrong with other healthy foods such as whole grains, lean proteins, dairy, healthy oils, etc.

I have definitely increase my intake of fruit and veggies but I would never be able to make it a full day on just them :)
  • rdy2lose
    rdy2lose Posts: 106
    Options
    Even vegetarians eat foods besides fruit and veggies, such as soy products. Without protien in your diet you will feel hungry and may end up blowing it because you cannot get the full sensation you need.

My husband always says, "Everything in moderation" and I really think he is right.

Good luck whatever you decide. :smile:
  • Brady_
    Brady_ Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I actually am gonna try and start this today too, already did! yeah probably not the healthiest blah blah but for a detox, start of a diet i am doing it just because. I doubt i will last!! Lots of water, fruit and veggies probably. I may through in some skinless/boneless chicken here and there.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    your body cleans its self
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    My nutritionist has her clients do a 21 day detox at the beginning. Same concept. Fuits and veggies (but only certian kinds) and lean meats (fish, flank steak). I am a vegetarian so I would do a pea protein shake once a day. It's a great way to get yourself off the processed crap, but you will go through withdrawls especially if you eat out of cans or boxes frequently. So expect some headaches and stomachaches. Our bodies are so overloaded with processing that it taxes our internal organs and makes them work less efficiently. Know that you can't work out strenously while doing this since your body will be tired.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You might find some answers to your questions here:

http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/site/learn_faq.html

Bear in mind, this is not a medical site, and not intended to be one. :) You probably should talk to your doctor before doing something radical like a juice fast.

[PS - the movie is very interesting, too]
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I thinking speaking to a doctor or nutritionist is the best solution for anyone.

I read a really great article this month..... it was in either SELF magazine or Womens Health.
    It was quite lengthy and was all about different women, trying different detox methods or a variety for reasons.
    After reading the article, it really inspired me to not even entertain the thought of a detox.

I try to eat lots of veggies, fruit, lean meats, fish and FIBER. I feel the combination of everything on a healthy scale is really what is best for me. I feel like unless something is really wrong and your doctor needs you detox for some reason, that detox is taking a risk.

Good Luck :smile:
  • new_me_4
    new_me_4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well I do thank eveyone for their advice it was very helpful to me. I never looked at it that way I will try it but I will add some lean and skinless meat to my diet at least once a day to go along with the fruits and veggies that I eat. I also never thought about how my body would react to the sudden change of not having meat for such a grace period. I will let you all know the outcome.

Thanks in a million. :wink: