Branched Chain Amino Acids

Options
Hey Guys,

I'm not new to the whole fitness and nutrition scene, although I still have heaps to learn.

Anyway I've always been very lean and find it hard to put on muscle mass. So I've recently upped my caloric intake.

I'm going to take BCAA's in conjunction with Whey Protein, is there any advice as to how much BCAA I should take in a serving - the jar I has states to take one scoop (3GMS) prior or during workout and the same after the workout.

I've read sites on the net that state you should have 10GMS a serving?

I'm open to any advice as I want to learn more.

Regards,

Joe

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Reviews are mixed. If someone is getting adequate protein (bulking) then adding extra BCAA's are probably not necessary, but who knows. Apparently in a deficit (cutting) they may show some benefit. Not sure about dose.....good luck putting on some mass. Personally not getting too finicky about calories and worrying about fat accumulation seems to be the number 1 reason people can't put on mass. Eat.
  • Joey2552
    Joey2552 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks mate appreciated the advice! I think I've just gotta get used to eating more! Haha
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You're adding protein to your protein?

Sounds like a waste of time and money.
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    BCAAs are expensive, and already in the protein you are consuming. Supplementing with them can be useful for helping to preserve muscle mass when dieting, and it could be possible that they slightly improve your workout performance.

This website has some information and covers the scientific studies into BCAAs so you can make up your own mind: examine.com/supplements/Branched+Chain+Amino+Acids/
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I should probably be more clear.

What do think bcaa are? They're in your protein shake. They're in meat, fish, eggs, seeds, fruit, vegetables and nuts.
    A handfull of nuts smashes the daily dose of bcaa that they're telling you to take on the side of that tub you've wasted your money on.

To save more money wastage,

http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7/table/T3
  • Joey2552
    Options
    You're adding protein to your protein?

Sounds like a waste of time and money.

That's a big statement, surely there are differences. It doesn't take long to put two/three scoops in water, so I don't think time management is an issue. As for the money side only time will tell.
  • Joey2552
    Options
    BCAAs are expensive, and already in the protein you are consuming. Supplementing with them can be useful for helping to preserve muscle mass when dieting, and it could be possible that they slightly improve your workout performance.

This website has some information and covers the scientific studies into BCAAs so you can make up your own mind: examine.com/supplements/Branched+Chain+Amino+Acids/

Thanks for that article, it's very informative.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are part of every whey protein powder. You're talking about leucine, isoleucine, and valine. They're in all protein sources. Unless you eat less than 20g of protein a day, it's pretty much impossible to not get enough BCAAs.

The only place I've really seen BCAAs suggested as being important is during fasted weight training. Otherwise, completely unnecessary.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Free form aminos are different from bonded aminos from what I've seen through a few studies. Saying that whole foods have aminos is like saying you can get creatine from red meat... yes it EXISTS in XYZ foods, but free form aminos allow you to get all important aminos without adding too many calories.

I really don't think they're necessary, but I've picked up a few tubs during black friday sale to see if it makes a difference. Walmart amino spikes their protein and falsely puts it AS protein. I have some right in front of me and they use 8g of added aminos per 2 scoops.

I think aminos can be beneficial if a person trains REALLY hard or for a LONG time, but for the average "sweat" and if you're out of the gym in under an hour it's a waste. I bring aminos when I'm looking at a 2.5-3 hour gym session with cardio.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Comparing it to creatine from naturally occurring sources is ridiculous.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    ^
    Yea, because comparing a supplementary acetic acid to an amino acid is totally retarded... are you for real? You know creatine is broken down from amino acids in the body right?

Please, take your bro uneducated science out of here.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    ^
    Yea, because comparing a supplementary acetic acid to an amino acid is totally retarded... are you for real? You know creatine is broken down from amino acids in the body right?

Please, take your bro uneducated science out of here.
    Creatine is a nonessential amino acid. BCAAs are essential amino acids. Your comparison is pointless. Also comparing a protein supplement to a food supplement just to save calories is also pointless. It's helpful to take a protein supplement if you need to reach your protein goals, but BCAAs are such a small part of your overall protei goals that I would hazard a guess of it being 99.9% impossible for anyone tracking their food intake to be deficient in BCAAs.

Also, protein from foods will always be better than a protein supplement. Always.