Aiming for a life changer

Options
Hey there everyone! I'm trying to lose 122 pounds. Since the end of 2012, I've gained 92 pounds. I never thought that was even possible. I was wondering if anyone else deals with depression and really low self esteem? Whenever I start to lose weight, it's almost like I sabotage myself because I start to think about how far I am from my goal. I've never been this weight in my life and I honestly feel like I'm wasting my life, I'm just watching time slip away. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• karenalpaca
    karenalpaca Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It can be overwhelming if you think about how much you have to lose. Instead try to imagine you are on a long cross country trip in your car. If you look at it that way, you wouldn't turn around after just a few miles because you have so far to go. You would realize that you have a long way to travel and you keep going with every mile you travel (pound you lose) getting you closer to your final destination. Good luck to you!
  • jules9812
    jules9812 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) I actually love to travel so that's a pretty good analogy!
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Break your goal down into smaller goals if your only goal is 122 lbs then it will seem a real long way off/insurmountable etc if your goal is lose 10lbs that can be done in like 6-8 weeks and you will see yourself getting nearer. Reward yourself when you reach a goal (not with food treats buy a new outfit or something) Then set the next goal, measure your progress if you stick with this you will get to the big goal of 122 lbs

good luck
  • jules9812
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I think spa days will be my reward lol
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    logging each day helps a lot,. it may seem pain to have to log everything g you eat and drink but it really helps, move more and log that too, get some friends on MFP that are active and offer mutual support, break your goal down into smaller chunks a,d very good luck with your journey
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    for a lot of us, weight gain is accompanied by depression and low self esteem...you're definitely not alone in that.

You're right, you are far from you ideal weight, and that can be overwhelming and make things seem impossible...what you need to do is change your mindset. Today is not about losing 122 pounds. Today is about eating right today. If you make today about losing 122 pounds...yeah, that's overwhelming. Make today about good choices. Making good choices feels good, that's today's reward. You can deal with tomorrow tomorrow.

Large goals that take a long time to reach are so difficult to hang on to. Yes, I have a "final" goal, not a weight but a way of feeling that I'm working towards...but, if success was defined by that final goal? Ugh, I'd have given up. I can't wait that long to feel successful! So, set smaller goals. Ones you know you can reach. Goals like "today, I will not go over my calories" or "I will exercise for at least 90 minutes this week". Weight related goals are ok, too, but be realistic, and flexible...sometimes we do everything right, and the scale still won't move for a few weeks.

Keep in mind...You can't lose 122 pounds if you don't lose the first pound, the 5th pound, the 15th pound. Those are all successes too. Focus on smaller goals, celebrate them. They will begin to add up.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Don't just look at today's nutrition/macros, look at the last 7 days. Seeing the big picture can keep you from freaking out over one bad* choice. You gained that weight slowly over a long period of time, and you'll lose it by eating at a deficit most days. It's not an all or nothing thing, and you don't have to be perfect.

*There are no "bad" foods. You can eat anything in moderation, and small treats can help you avoid bigger temptations.

Something that really helped me was recognizing that losing weight would take a lot of trial & error. Nothing worked at first, but I tried different things until everything "clicked." For example, I drink plain old water instead of sugary drinks (I'd rather "spend" my calories on food), and eat more protein than I used to. I hated Pilates, but love yoga. You will find what works for you.
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Options
    for a lot of us, weight gain is accompanied by depression and low self esteem...you're definitely not alone in that.

You're right, you are far from you ideal weight, and that can be overwhelming and make things seem impossible...what you need to do is change your mindset. Today is not about losing 122 pounds. Today is about eating right today. If you make today about losing 122 pounds...yeah, that's overwhelming. Make today about good choices. Making good choices feels good, that's today's reward. You can deal with tomorrow tomorrow.

Large goals that take a long time to reach are so difficult to hang on to. Yes, I have a "final" goal, not a weight but a way of feeling that I'm working towards...but, if success was defined by that final goal? Ugh, I'd have given up. I can't wait that long to feel successful! So, set smaller goals. Ones you know you can reach. Goals like "today, I will not go over my calories" or "I will exercise for at least 90 minutes this week". Weight related goals are ok, too, but be realistic, and flexible...sometimes we do everything right, and the scale still won't move for a few weeks.

Keep in mind...You can't lose 122 pounds if you don't lose the first pound, the 5th pound, the 15th pound. Those are all successes too. Focus on smaller goals, celebrate them. They will begin to add up.

Well said! ????????
  • jules9812
    Options
    Wow I really appreciate all the support and input!!
  • pixeltest
    Options
    yes fine
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've just joined the site and am in the same boat with you. I don't have any sage advise, as I'm looking for some myself, but wanted to say Hi! Maybe we can help each other stay motived. :smile:
  • jules9812
    Options
    Sounds good to me! I updated my goals to reflect my current weight and where I'd like to be in terms of weight so I was given the amount of net calories I should be consuming. Now, I'm wondering, technically if I don't exercise and eat my net calories, I should still lose the weight right? I don't mind the exercise, I'm just curious.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    A-journey-of-a-thousand-miles.png
  • bonjalandoni
    bonjalandoni Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started walking with my itunes music or audio books. I made it my "me" time and gave me a chance to just take it easy and relax. I never treated these long walks as exercise or it will quickly just become a chore. If i dont feel like going for a walk i didnt go. The music soothes me and recharges me and guess what... it burns a lot of calories too! (I bet you, you will start jogging after a couple of weeks of doing this)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Very well said!!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me! I updated my goals to reflect my current weight and where I'd like to be in terms of weight so I was given the amount of net calories I should be consuming. Now, I'm wondering, technically if I don't exercise and eat my net calories, I should still lose the weight right? I don't mind the exercise, I'm just curious.

Yes you should as long as you are accurately entering your intake. Be honest and measure as accurately as you can.

Edited because I messed that all up.
  • vee14624
    Options
    Hey I have 135 pounds to lose . How about we work together and hit our weight and goals together. I have similiar issues like yours and almost the same amount of weight to lose . I am 48 how old are you ?
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly about your diet. Exercise burns calories and tones your muscles, both of which are very good things. But while it is super easy to consume an extra 1000 calories, it is very hard to burn 1000 calories.
  • liannexxx
    liannexxx Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I struggle from low self esteem and was falling in and out of depression recently. Last month I invested in getting a PT and seeing him 4x a week. No real physical changes ( a little) have kicked in however my mood has totally changed. Working out has made me mentally stronger and so much happier. I seem to be tackling problems better. I still haven't totally cleaned up my diet yet but I am well on my way to sorting this. If you can invest in a PT alternatively go to gym classes 3 or 4 times a week. Then watch the positivity flow :) here's to 2014 :)