restaurant meals

Options
its my boyfriends birthday after 2 days and wanted to take him out for a nice dinner....any suggestions what kind of restaurant to go to so that he can enjoy and i won't go way off track with my calories....chines, Japanese, Indian???

i've been avoiding meals out but i'm not going to get away on this special day...it's not fair on him he already complains i've become so ant social since i started MFP :frown:

Replies

• RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I think you should ask HIM where HE would like to go. It's HIS birthday.

Bite the bullet. Work off the calories after dinner fulfilling some of HIS fantasies.
  • claire13kai
    Options
    I rely on Sushi places. Everyone else can order delicious types of rolls, tempura or Teppanyaki and I can still get my sashimi and be healthy .
  • thenebean9
    Options
    Let him pick the restaurant, but if they have a website and you can check out their menu ahead of time, be sure that there is something that will work for you as well. Avoid the cream sauces, cheese, butter, and oily items. Stick with fish or chicken, and just have fun!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    I would avoid Chinese or Japanese restaurants because of the Sodium content. Chili's and Applebees have good 'Light' menu choices. Look for menu choices that say Grilled, or Baked and avoid Fried, or Sauces unless you get the sauce on the side and use it sparingly.
    Most importantly though, enjoy the meal!! It is only one meal and you can eat light the other two meals that day and work out extra the day before and after.
    :flowerforyou: Happy Birthday to your BF!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Sushi is my "go-to". It's true, though, it should be his choice. One meal at the restaurant of his choice won't derail you if you exercise and get back on track the next day.

Places like chain restaurants may have a "light" menu, but the sodium will do you in.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I was in this same situation last week for my BF's birthday. He said he wanted Hibachi (Japanese steakhouse style food) and I went in knowing they give you a LOT of food and it's very high in sodium. So I prepared as best I could, drank a ton of water and avoided alcohol, and took half my dinner home. It wasn't my best day, but I know that dinner with our friends made my BF happy and that's what was important!

If you're surprising him with dinner and can't ask where he wants to go in advance, I say chose something you know he likes rather than something to accommodate your diet. You can make up the calories later. After all, it's a lifestyle change and these situations are unavoidable in life.

However, if possible, ask him!
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    "I would avoid Chinese or Japanese restaurants because of the Sodium content. Chili's and Applebees have good 'Light' menu choices."

Seems like an oxymoron right there. Just because a menu item is "light" doesn't mean it's less sodium and Chili's and Applebees are some of the worst sodium offenders out there.

To the original poster, you can make good choices at most restaurants. Unless you plan on never eating out, for the rest of your life, you might as well bite the bullet and start enjoying yourself at restaurants. Trust your knowlege, do a little research, and empower yourself to make the right choices.
  • KAK68
    KAK68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too would let him pick- you can always do some research on internet and find what you can eat there- I have even emailed Happy joes when I couldn't find the info I wanted and they emailed me back that same day with my info.
  • determined99
    Options
    thanks for the amazing tips!
    i ended up having a really nice grilled salmon AND THEN i topped it up with a huge slice of chocolate fudge cake :))

it's not everyday we do this.......