Nature Valley snacks- okay or really bad?

Options
I need something to take with me early in the morning because i don't have time to eat breakfast, but i'm also trying to lose some fat so i worry about eating it because it has sugar in it.
Allthough someone told me that eating a little sugar won't hurt..
One bar contains 95 calories, 6g sugar and 4g total fat - how bad is it? and is it worse to eat two bars (one pack)?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I find them pretty good, generally carry a pack in my briefcase for a snack mid morning or on the way home from work. They're pretty filling.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Well, good news, sugar won't make you fat, excess calories do. I love Nature Valley stuff. I typically have their 10g protein granola with my Greek yogurt for breakfast. I ignore sugar. It's a carb, so I track that and replaced sugar with fiber in my diary.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Well, good news, sugar won't make you fat, excess calories do.
    Pretty much. If you can fit it into your count for the day; go ahead!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "wrong" with them...but they provide very little protein, it's mostly carbs...so an hour later, I'd be hungry again. If you can fit those calories into your day, there's nothing wrong with them, but something more nutritious would be a better option. Proteins and healthy fats are what satisfy us most, so, no those aren't "bad" but I think there are far better options.

For fewer calories and less sugar/carbs, you can get 14ish grams of protein from a Greek yogurt.
    For about the same calories and less sugar/carbs, you can get 20 grams of protein from a Quest Bar (admittedly not as delicious, so it depends on your priorities)
    There are ways to prepare eggs ahead of time, with cheese and veggies and meats even! Look up "muffin tin eggs". You can pop em in the microwave for 30 seconds and that's a whole healthy meal, ready to go.

For ME, those options above provide me with more of what I need while keeping my calories in a reasonable range. For ME, those nature valley granola bars are almost like candy...delicious! but not very nutritious or satisfying.
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I LOVE those things. But I am going to be more focused on fresh vs. fat. Fat can be good, as long as it's the good fats. I tend to look at the ingredients of the food. I'm sure there's a list of preservatives and garbage listed which I am trying to stay away from.

I am going to start making fresh snacks after the holidays, even granola bars. I found this recipe on Pinterest. If you have the time, try it out. At least you know what's in it!

http://barerootgirl.com/nourish/2012/12/10/inseason-a-chewy-wintertime-granola-barhtml
  • FitBun9
    Options
    Thank for the replies! :)
    I eat healthier for the rest of the day and i don't touch any other sweet stuff so i guess it will be okay. :)
    elyelyse - thanks for the suggestions! i'm sure it would be a better choice but i'm a picky eater and i don't like eggs or meat. that's why i go for cereal or granola for breakfast, but maybe i'll try to find a yogurt i like.
    atamrowski - thanks for the recipe! i'll look at it.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Cereal bars ARE full of sugar but I have them anyway when I need to hit my calorie goals. Sometimes I just mutter "Screw it" and buy a pack of Crunchies.

tumblr_me2wis8EKC1qewl6m.jpg

Also full of sugar but at least they're being honest about it and not trying to pretend to be a healthy snack.

So yummy. cloud9.gif
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    Cereal bars ARE full of sugar but I have them anyway when I need to hit my calorie goals. Sometimes I just mutter "Screw it" and buy a pack of Crunchies.

tumblr_me2wis8EKC1qewl6m.jpg

Also full of sugar but at least they're being honest about it and not trying to pretend to be a healthy snack.

I adore Crunchies! And Nature Valley
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options
    I say eat them!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I tend to steer away from most bars because they are just carbs. But I love the NV protein bars because they have 10g protein, lots of fiber and lots of healthy fat. I used to eat one every night before I started my midnight shift. I would be satisfied for hours.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I eat healthier for the rest of the day and i don't touch any other sweet stuff so i guess it will be okay. :)
    elyelyse - thanks for the suggestions! i'm sure it would be a better choice but i'm a picky eater and i don't like eggs or meat. that's why i go for cereal or granola for breakfast, but maybe i'll try to find a yogurt i like

I love granola sooooooo much! If you can find "Kind" granola it tends to be lower calorie and I think less sugar for a slightly larger portion than almost any other brand I have found, and it's so delicious. (It's not marketed as lower calorie, low cal granola is usually blech!) I'm always looking for brands that help me cut 40 calories here, 50 calories there...to make room for a little more food in my day somewhere else! They also make bars, but I haven't had them or checked out the nutritional info.

But...if this is your one sweet treat, and satisfies you and you have no problem fitting into your day? Have your nature valley bars...mmm they are so good dipped in milk like a cookie! Or in tea...they get soft and warm. Mmm now I'm hungry lol.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I need something to take with me early in the morning because i don't have time to eat breakfast, but i'm also trying to lose some fat so i worry about eating it because it has sugar in it.
    Allthough someone told me that eating a little sugar won't hurt..
    One bar contains 95 calories, 6g sugar and 4g total fat - how bad is it? and is it worse to eat two bars (one pack)?

I understand being in a hurry in the morning -- I have pets, plus a job, plus went back to school. I make a big batch of steel cut oats twice a week, reheat some while I'm getting dressed, then eat it with sliced apple instead of sugar. It only takes ten minutes to reheat it and eat a bowl.

Those bars are delicious but they aren't filling. Another option: can you make a shake the night before and take it with you in a thermos?
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    There's nothing "wrong" with them...but they provide very little protein, it's mostly carbs...so an hour later, I'd be hungry again. If you can fit those calories into your day, there's nothing wrong with them, but something more nutritious would be a better option. Proteins and healthy fats are what satisfy us most, so, no those aren't "bad" but I think there are far better options.

For fewer calories and less sugar/carbs, you can get 14ish grams of protein from a Greek yogurt.
    For about the same calories and less sugar/carbs, you can get 20 grams of protein from a Quest Bar (admittedly not as delicious, so it depends on your priorities)
    There are ways to prepare eggs ahead of time, with cheese and veggies and meats even! Look up "muffin tin eggs". You can pop em in the microwave for 30 seconds and that's a whole healthy meal, ready to go.

For ME, those options above provide me with more of what I need while keeping my calories in a reasonable range. For ME, those nature valley granola bars are almost like candy...delicious! but not very nutritious or satisfying.

I agree! Plus 60% of cals. come from fat. Too much sugar (12 g for two bars) and only 4 grams of protein. Eat some good old oat meal and some greek yogurt.
    Oh, and the Crunchie bar? 150 cal for 2 - 4 Grams of Fat (35% total come from fat) -same amount of sugar (13 grams) - Same amnt. of carbs. too...
  • recover_healthy_fit
    Options

I agree! Plus 60% of cals. come from fat. Too much sugar (12 g for two bars) and only 4 grams of protein. Eat some good old oat meal and some greek yogurt.
    Oh, and the Crunchie bar? 150 cal for 2 - 4 Grams of Fat (35% total come from fat) -same amount of sugar (13 grams) - Same amnt. of carbs. too...

I say moderation...
  • FitBun9
    Options

If you mean that eating Nature Valley is like eating a crunchie or a chocolate bar then i don't want to eat something like that. But Nature Valley doesn't have to be wtih chocolate (if it is it's dark chocolate) so i don't think it's the same..
    I won't eat it everyday, i think i'll take yogurt or a shake other times like others suggested.

I just want to know if it can ruin my goal to tone\lose fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Well stated.