Bummed out.

Options
I need some motivation. Everytime i start losing a few pounds i just start eating ridiculously again. I want to eat healthy but it's so expensive i literally can't afford to. Anyone have any CHEAP healthy recipes? I know this should prob be in the receipes forum, but i need motivation too. I am just way down about my weight right now. Someone lift me up. :(

Replies

• klmmoore
    klmmoore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You don't have to buy super expensive food. I stopped buying processed foods and bought more ground turkey to make meals. I really didn't change too much with what I bought except I think I am saving money by not buying the cookies and junk! Just eat sensibly and watch portion sizes! You can do this!

kerri
  • tmogs
    tmogs Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    www.food.com (i've been a member for years) has alot of recipes and it's a free (if you chose) site. They have a category for low calorie meals.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what it is you're buying that's so much more expensive than non-healthy food?

This isn't the first time I've heard this and I'm wondering if people are mixing up organic with whole foods? Organic IS expensive, but whole foods should add no more to your grocery bill than any other shopping trip.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know what it is you're buying that's so much more expensive than non-healthy food?

This isn't the first time I've heard this and I'm wondering if people are mixing up organic with whole foods? Organic IS expensive, but whole foods should add no more to your grocery bill than any other shopping trip.

Organic is definitely more expensive. But also, healthier foods are too. Fresh veggies...no they are the same price. But healthier chicken....yes its more expensive. But you should be able to eat lower cal foods without breaking your budget. Buy whole wheat tortillas instead of flour...things like that. I shop on a shoestring budget and I still find ways to lower my cals. Granted my sodium needs help but hey....one thing at a time LOL
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yea- I agree with Muth, after about 4 weeks of healthier choices (needed to do some stocking up of spices and things) my grocery bill is lower than it had been. Plus I've reduced how much I go out to eat.

Try creating a meal plan for yourself. I use this as general inspiration for my meal planning:http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/six-week-weight-loss-meal-plan-week-1

If you know what you are going to have it takes away all those times you grab something junkie just cuz its easier. Then when you do want to go out, you know you can splurge cuz you've earned it.
  • thenebean9
    Options
    Eat what you would normally eat at home, but smaller portions, and with some healthy options. Instead of having fried chicken and french fries say, do a baked breaded chicken cutlet with roasted potatoes. same ingredients, but healthier preparation! Also, if you have a hard time with eating smaller portions, use a smaller plate and don't make more than you need to eat for dinner. no temptation! you can lose weight without having to buy all the crazy healthy stuff - just buy some ;)
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Dont' get discouraged! :smile:

You are doing wonderfully and it is only natural to feel the way you do. We've all been there.

Take a look at the changes and progress you've made and use that as mental kick-off point to go further. You've gotten this far and you can only move forward, right? :flowerforyou:

One tip to buying healthy is to check out the grocery deals! My husband and I will pull out the grocery store weekly specials from the newspaper and scan them over. If you can work your weekly menu to reflect the items on sale, it can help save money and stay healthy. Sweet potatoes or asparagus may be on sale. Or ground turkey, pork chops etc.

Also, since the chilly months are coming up, it is perfect time for soups and stews! I find that keeping lots of veggies and low sodium items, keep your soups/chilis/stews healthier. I put a bunch of stuff in the crock pot and magic......healthy, inexpensive meals that can last or accompany some salad or bread. Chicken Noodle Soup and Ground Turkey Veggie Chili for example or beef stew :love:
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    When I was living on my own I was living on a very tight budget. What helped me was making my own meals at home. I don't know how many people you feed. It was just me so I would make several meals and freeze them. This way I didn't have the same meal for several days in a row. I made a lot of stir fry. Made my own sauce so it stayed healthy. Made a lot of taco salads. Or salads in general. There are lots of ways you can keep the calories low and the price low. Shop for sales. Do research on recipes. You can take just about any recipe and make it healthy. Soups and chilis are great too. If you are on a time limit, try slow cooker recipes. Good luck!
  • Mandie1120
    Mandie1120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. I could choose a bag of chips for $.99 or a healthy granola type bar for $1.99. However, I learned to eat smaller portions and not snack ALL day long so that cut down on my bill to make up for what it was costing. You can also eat the same foods but in the low cal version. I started doing like sour cream and non fat yogurt as well as turkey burger and it really cut my calories. It doesn't taste the same at first but then again that helped too. I didn't eat so much!

I learned that food is fuel not something to make me feel "better" that changed how I saw what I was eating. I didn't have to have all that stuff I thought I "needed" like before. I still eat pasta but its the whole grain kind and they are even making that cheaper now :) When i crash dieted or denied myself food, i always ended up "relapsing" on food. I don't deny my self anything I REALLY want, i just have to moderate what i eat. Low amounts of any food are not too bad for you. But that's just ME and what I have learned for myself :)
  • Britters1283
    Options
    Don't get down. I have the same problem. I eat great and exercise for 3 or 4 days and then I go crazy and get it all back in a day. I'm just trying to make little changes and slowly it seems to be coming around. I think what has helped me keep the cost of groceries down is meal planning. I try to makea menu for the week and stick to it. It helps cut down on unnecessary purchases and commits me to healthier meals. Ground turkey chili, wraps, and quesadillas are all healthy and fairly inexpensive to make. It's a process. Don't get discouraged, it gets better. :)
  • ignatius14
    ignatius14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Don't be bummed out! Try shopping for thin sliced chicken breasts and pork chops (if you eat pork). Thin-sliced boneless pork chops are typically about $4 a pack, with 6 - 8 chops in the package. Eat chop is around 3 oz, just what you need for a serving. That is the protein for 6 to 8 meals or 3 - 4 days. (I only have meat with lunch and dinner.) With thin sliced chicken breasts, same deal, 4 - 5 cutlets will run about $5. Fish is more expensive if you are avoiding the frozen bags shipped from China. Canned tuna is cheap, and another fish protein source (watch the sodium, thought). For veggies, try frozen, as opposed to fresh from the produce section. There are many "steamable" options that are only a $1 - $2 per bag, and typically have 2 - 3 servings. You can buy "steamable" brown rice now too. If you get some fruit cups (no sugar-added), to supplement raw fruits, that can help with expenses, too. I don't know where you live, but places like Kroger will have 10 for $10 sales on bags of frozen veggies. Those are the times to stock up! Oatmeal is a cheap, nutrious breakfast. With raisins and cinnamon, you can definitely make it tasty. I've managed to eat three meals and 3 snacks each day for around $5-$7 a day. My snacks are typically a handful of nuts, a piece of fruit, celery and peanut butter, mini-bags of popcorn, a cup of yogurt...etc. Friend me and check out my food diary if you are interested in more details. Good luck! You can do it!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't get bummed!! You can do it: ) I agree it's frustrating some times, but I try to focus on buying my fruits and veggies from stores that sell in bulk. The down side is that you don't know what you're going to get, but the upside is it's cheaper and usually pretty fresh. Here's a recipe I made last night that was super easy and cheap.
    1 1/2 cups frozen corn
    1 1/4 lb turkey breast fillets
    small can of chipotle chilies (you'll use the sauce in the can, and can freeze the chilies for later use)
    1 med green bell pepper (i use red)
    1 small yellow onion
    fresh cilantro
    lime juice

marinate turkey breasts in chipotle sauce for 10-15'
    char corn in medium nonstick pan (med high heat, takes about 4') and set aside
    add a little oil (or olive oil spray) to non-stick pan and cook turkey (in two batches) takes about 1 1/2 min/side. set aside.
    add a little oil/spray to pan and add bell pepper and onions. saute onions until translucent.
    add corn to pan and saute another 3'
    add lime juice and cilantro.
    this is your "salsa" that you spoon over the turkey. i serve with a nice green salad and corn tortillas.
    Enjoy:wink:
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating healthy is more expensive. I don't buy organic. Right now I'm eating spinach. ($1.99 for a large cello bag), spaghettie squash (.69 a pound); butternut squash (I will splurge and buy the pre-cut for about $2.59 and pre-slice mushroom ($1.99). I also eat a lot of Uncle Ben's brown rice, boil in bag (about $2.69 for 4 bags, each bag has 2 servings). Also, although it is a little more expensive I buy the small packs of meat such as 3-4 thin cut pork chops, one small and thin steak. For snacks I buy Jolly Time Low Fat(Maybe) Microwave popcorn, yogurt and weight watcher desserts
  • Maitlyn
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. You can do it. I really did not stop eating what I usually eat I just make sure to eat a lot less...Portion control is the key....as well as exercise. :wink:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Where you guys are talking about the unhealthy stuff being cheaper- you are only comparing the quick foods to one another. A Granola bar isn't THAT much better for you than a junky snack, so sure its not really worth the extra $1. And yea, if you buy your veggies presliced, it's going to cost you more. Frozen and generally "ready to eat" foods of all kinds are more expensive, healthy or not. Cuz you don't have to do the preparation.

BUT if you compare the amount it costs to buy of the prepackaged food you typically eat, in the quantities you typically eat it, to the amount it costs to eat less quantities of food you prepare- overall you will save $$. I have 3 months of grocery bills and $30 extra bucks a month to prove it. It's just about smart choices.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm trying to cut down our grocery bill and try to eat healthier and it can be a bit frustrating (seriously, I spent $10 on easy and "junk" foods and snacks and got 2 or 3 bags full and then later spent $10 on 4 oranges, 3 apples, celery, and a 1/2 gal of nonfat milk!!).

Eating Vegetarian is a way to cut calories and fat and is cheaper than buying meat. Instead of adding meat to tacos, try whole beans mixed with refried beans. Bagged beans are cheaper, but take prep. I try to stock up on a few extra cans of whole beans when they're on sale and have them in the pantry to add to meals - especially mexican dinners.

I've also been buying huge family size packages of chicken when it's on sale and split it up into freezer bags then pop it in the freezer. Adding cheap pasta or rice along with frozen veggies or a salad makes it a meal.

Egg whites have also become my friend, and oatmeal (not the instant packets - the big container of plain with brown sugar added) for breakfast. I've been making my own soup instead of buying the cans to bring to work for lunch (chicken noodle or chicken and rice is relatively cheap and with a crock pot is easy. I don't usually add a ton of chicken because it's expensive) .

Buying in season helps and keep an eye on the produce and meat ads at your local grocery store(s). Buy in bulk when it's on sale (if you can). I typically don't buy any meat unless it's on a heck of a deal or my fiance REALLY wants it for dinner (grumble, grumble grumble... since I pay for groceries).

Really, just making your own meals is cheaper than buying instant (especially soups, chilis, and really anything you can make in a crock pot) but it takes a ton more time.

I work full time so I don't always have time to cook a nice healthy meal when I get home, so I will often grab a box of pasta, cook it up then add frozen peas or broccoli and a can of tuna and call it good. Not the healthiest, but it's better than just the box of pasta or ordering a pizza ;)

Don't worry about making a 100% transformation right away. Focus on doing little things *better* rather than doing everything perfect. Be proud of yourself for grabbing an apple and not a candy bar and work on baby steps instead of trying to do everything at once or you might get burned out.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    Here are some good websites I found helpful for me

http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/quick-cheap-healthy-meals-recipes

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/cheap_eats

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/healthy-weeknight-dinners/pictures/index.html

http://www.healthy-quick-meals.com/index.html

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,easy_cheap_healthy_meals,FF.html

some other suggestions might be buy in bulk and cook enough in one go to last the week (wheat for bread, beans, rice, chicken, etc). Buy cheap produce and cut it up when you get home to graze on or freeze for later. Get lots of spices to jazz up different "boring" foods that you eat regularly so you can handle the bulk items. If the climate and space allows, grow your own veggies. If you don't have a yard, try growing things in 5 gallon buckets like tomatoes or zucchini plants. If neither is an option, go often to farmers market, buy local, or join a food co-op. It is a struggle to eat healthy on budgets.

Another website I like is http://allrecipes.com/ because it is free to join, has tons of recipies, and you can store the recipies you like and make a shopping list. Planning ahead always makes it easier to cook healthy dinners and you spend less at the store when you know what you need. Good luck!
  • toniace1
    Options
    Do you have an Aldi's grocery store? They have cheap produce. Do you like vegetables? Try eating them without cheese or butter--just maybe a little spray of olive oil, dash of salt and pepper. minced or chopped cooked onion adds alot of flavor to veggies, too. Buy veggies in season. I dont use recipes, I just buy what's on sale and go from there...Post what you like to eat or what's cheap in your area, then I could give you ideas on how to prepare tasty and low cal. :)
  • triton4u
    Options
    If you like fish and salads, you should try the South Beach Diet. Me and my wife have been on it for about 1 month or so. I have lost 15lbs and my wife has lost 27lbs. Stay motivated, some times it is hard when you dont lose any thing for a time but stay with it. If not for you but your family. Blessing to you.
  • jparson714
    jparson714 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do this on any budget!

I agree with the others.... you'll save if you cut down your portions and choose better for you foods. For example, buy a back of nuts... i know they can be expensive, but you can get MANY snacks out of it. As soon as I get home, I portion them out so when I need a snack I can just grab a baggie. (I also reuse the baggies for the next time I bring home nuts.)

As far as recipes are concerned, 400caloriesorless.com is also a great site! We've cooked many of their meals and they've been great.