How do you get over "feeling fat" ?

Options
Okay I keep having this fat feeling (Idk how to explain this) on my rest day in the week. I'm still eating healthily and logging all my calories but as long as I go a day without exercise, I'll feel jittery and weird, like I just can't sit still. I only have one rest day per week. The rest of the week, I have 3 days of a 4km run and 3 days of 1.5 hours of strength training with a hiit session once per week (usually with the day that I do strength, like I'll do hiit in the morning and strength in the evening).

I just feel the need to push on daily. My knees were kind of protesting today, with a slight pain plaging both knees (knee inflammation is hereditary in my family but I'm only 18, so it shouldn't come so quickly).

How do you guys deal with this? Is it wrong to have a rest day considering I feel like I don't work out hard enough as compared to a lot of people who run 10km almost daily?

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I would check with a doctor about your knees if the pain doesn't go away. Shoes can make a big difference, too.

I'm not a medical expert, but the part about knee inflammation being hereditary doesn't sound right -- inflammation is the body's response to irritation. Overweight people tend to have knee problems -- are there a lot of overweight people in your family and the inflammation story is kind of family folklore?
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I agree, weight and shoes may have a lot to do with it. I have minor knee issues and it is definitely weight associated. I just remind myself that just because bigger people are jumping around on TV doing crazy DVDs doesn't mean I can do it....Try lower impact exercises such as the elliptical on stationary bike.
  • fangmouse
    Options
    I'm not sure... But all my dad's 5 siblings have got knee problems except my dad and they've all had knee surgery. However, only 2 of them are overweight. The rest are of a healthy weight.

I'm 56kg and 159cm. Although I'm not skinny, I don't know it it would cause my knee problems. I think for theirs it isn't inflammation but more of arthritis? Or at least I know it's something to do with the cartilage at the knee got decreased in size and eventually the bone started to grind each other.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    It takes a long time mentally to adjust to smaller sizes, but buying size 2 Banana Republic jeans and XS tops from Calvin's sure gives you a boost!
  • fangmouse
    Options
    It takes a long time mentally to adjust to smaller sizes, but buying size 2 Banana Republic jeans and XS tops from Calvin's sure gives you a boost!

Ermmm I'm not sure how this is relevant to my topic but thanks?? Haha I wear a size S in forever 21 though not Xs haha and I wear size 6-8 pants not size 2, unfortunately.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Proper shoes and building up to longer, harder harder workouts .... and a rest day doesn't hAve to mean absolutely no no cement ... do something light, for instance, I like hooping (Google it) so that's what I do if I'm feeling jittery as you put it ... it's light and low/no impact ... or just go for a walk ...

Sorry for almost complete disregard for punctuation ... I'm on my Kindle, and I still haven't mastered typing on it yet ....