Photographing the food - an accountability tactic

Options
So long story short, this summer I realized I have a binge ED. I struggled with it all summer and this fall as well, and this fall it got REALLY bad and I gained 10+ lbs.

I also happened to be taking an experimental photography class this semester, and so this past month when I was determining what to do for my final photography project, I decided to make a photographic journal showing what it's like to be in my mind, with my eating disorder.

For about a week, I photographed everything I ate, and then selected and compiled the photos in a handmade book. Each image was paired with serving size information and calorie count, that's it. In between the pages of photographs, I included "journal entries" of different thoughts that cross my mind when I'm thinking about food.

It was by far the most intimate and vulnerable photography project I have ever done, especially since I shared it with 20 classmates and my professor. Prior to this project, only my mom and 5 very best friends knew about my ED. Because of the project, many many more people found out about it.

However, it really REALLY helped. It helped to be able to talk to people about it, even complete strangers, and hear encouraging feedback. And the process of photographing my food really helped me to start having a normal relationship with it again, by somehow objectifying it and making it less intimate to me (I know that sounds really weird, but oh well).

The point of this post, I guess, is that I'm going to continue my project, to both hold myself accountable, encourage others, help me to have a normal relationship with food again, and because I just think it's a cool photography idea and keeps me taking lots of photos :)

For anyone who is interested in following this project, I'll be making a blog to document it! You can find it here:

http://247yum.tumblr.com

Nothing has been added yet because I'm just starting today, but keep checking back! :)

Replies

• Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That is stinking cool. Will you (or do you) have that link posted in your "about me" section of your profile? I'd love to visit it every now and again.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That sounds really interesting, I love photography projects that tell an intimate story. Looking forward to seeing your work!
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    What an awesome experience for you! Keep up the good work!

You have looked your monsters in the eye, made them public. That takes away alot of the power they had over you.

WELL DONE!
  • jeremydavisnc
    Options
    This sounds FANTASTIC both for what it's doing for you mentally (and educationally) but also as a catalyst to start those conversations. I was recently diagnosed with bi-polar disorder and watched a documentary last night where a writer's work...telling her story...has helped people talk about it. ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2090582/ if you're curious)

Kudos to you for helping demystify your disorder. That took a lot of courage, and the idea itself is awesome from an accountability standpoint. :)

Well done!!
  • little_eskimo
    little_eskimo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! :) I (of course) forgot to take a picture of my lunch today, so I started with a snack I just had this afternoon. I had to use my phone's camera for now, though, because my "real" camera is currently buried in a suitcase in my car because I moved home from school yesterday :tongue: Can't wait to get it out, though, and keep this project rolling!
    That is stinking cool. Will you (or do you) have that link posted in your "about me" section of your profile? I'd love to visit it every now and again.

I didn't think of that, but I'll do it now!
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    This is an amazing idea! I am so proud of you. I LOVE having you as a friend and even though it is hard to struggle with binge eating, I am glad we have support from one another and can relate to one another.
    I am excited about following you! :)
  • deanjou59
    deanjou59 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I hope to see some pictures soon- I keep checking in! Those almonds are really pretty btw! :)