Have you accomplished your 2013 goal(s)?

Options
Have you accompished your goal(s) for this year?
What is one piece of advice or tip you can share to encourage those that have not?

Personally I am at a weight that I haven't been in about 15 years (154 pounds). This year I went from over 195 pounds to 154/ Size 18 pants to size 9ish. Thinking about one tip or piece of advice is hard. I would have two tips:
1. Be bold and let everyone know where you are and where you want to be physically. I made a facebook for my transformation so others can see. It makes me less likely to go back to where I came from because others are watching me.
2. Eat your calories, not drink them. Sugary soft drinks area thing of the past. It's water for me and an occassional tea.

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think my only goal for 2013 was to continue working towards my ultimate goal - never really had a date in mind, I figured I would know when it was time for me to move on to the next phase.

My advice would be that if you are making lifestyle changes, be true to yourself! My real life has the occasional pizza and chocolates.

I primarily do cardio and I just reached my point of being ready to work with weights, I have never been in a rush to reach a goal because I intend to be active and healthy for as long as possible.
  • Fit2BeFly
    Fit2BeFly Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Heis4u2004, thanks for starting this topic. I can't wait to read everyone's success.
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    Yes i did!
    Watch your carbs eat protein and fiber rich foods
    Sweat it out as you please, show up when you need to show up and sweat!
    Have awesome mfp pals!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I decided one day in late July that I needed to change. I set a goal to walk more. That turned into me wanting to change my eating. Then that lead me to making a goal of losing 30lbs by the end of the year. I figured it was ok if I didn't reach the goal, but if I didn't have a goal or a timeline then I could talk myself out of making an effort. I reached my end of the year goal in November. I've actually lost 41lbs. I changed my goal to 45lbs by the New Year. I doubt I will make it. I'm not discouraged. I like having goals. My ultimate goal is to lose another 40lbs by next year end.
  • Sky212
    Options
    YES!
    I quit drinking Diet Coke. Haven't had a single one.
  • mollyya90
    mollyya90 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I started my journey in March. I started at 217 and I'm at 176. I have bad days I'm human! You just have to pick it up again and move on. Do not give up slow and steady wins the race! And exactly eat your calories don't drink them! Even if you ate enough for 3 people log it!! Be aware of your intake!
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great comments and tips.

I wasn't thinking of a particular weight goal in the beginning, but then when I entered December with 40 pounds gone, I thought it would be great to say I lost 50 pounds in a year. The I realized with parties and holidays, it may be unrealistic to push it. Especially when my church will be doing the Daniel Fast in January. That is what got me started and caused me to lose the first 10 pounds and I guess when I do it in January I will lose the last 10 pounds.

Don't stress out because tomorrow is a new day. Don't deprive yourself or you may crash and regain all your worked so hard to lose.
  • tjthegreatone
    Options
    Nope.
    I started wanting to reach my previous low weight (150lb), but at 155lb I realised that the last 5lb weren't worth the hassle and the eating disorder I was walking into. So I moved into maintenance mode and was doing great until life threw a curve ball, and I've been overeating for the past 3 months.
    Don't know what I weigh now, but my goals for 2014, independent of my weight are to beat this emotional eating into the ground, and to get a good night's sleep most nights.
  • jennygeo1
    jennygeo1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Such a great topic!
    Primarily because it made me try to remember what i wanted out of this year... why i even started and how far i have come.

I could not be more thrilled. Simply put.

Among the chaos that surrounds me at home, work and family, i have my diet and body under control.

I feet better in clothes.

I have much better fitness... i went from barely being able to jog for 30 seconds to running 8 miles today (how awesome is that?).

I value myself more.

I am more selfish with my time and 'calories'. i.e. i make sure i take time out for myself every day to either exercise, stretch, or go on MFP. I take all the sweets people give me (that i tell them i don't want but they 'insist') and i throw them in the trash. It's not worth my anxiety. and i don't feel bad about it.

In the process i have lost 51lbs.

Yes, 2013 has been good to me.

And just think of how much better 2014 will be.... :)

Happy New Year everyone!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Yes! And more so! My original expectation was to get to 130 - 135lbs.
    I am now sitting at almost 110. :)
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Yes, I wanted to be a size 8 by the end of the year, accomplished it in August, 15lbs heavier than I was the last time I was this size. Next year my goal is to be ripped.
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    By Dec 31, 2013, I will have achieved my 2013 goal. I have now lost 29.5 pounds on MFP with daily logging, moving my booty, and eating what I want within reason. I started this journey at 184 pounds (obese range with a BMI of 30.2), started MFP one week later on July 23 at 182 pounds (overweight range with a BMI of 29.8) and now, as of today, I am at 152.5 (slight overweight range of BMI 25). When I lose my next half of a pound (which will definitely happen with 10 days left of 2013), I will officially be in a healthy range for my weight and height. I know BMI is not the best nor most accurate barometer for measuring success, but is one of many I use to check my progress.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    In July I crossed the BMI number from overweight to normal. I know BMI isn't the best determinant but it was what got me started when I was tired of being obese. I'm wearing clothes that I feel good in and that look nice on me. I've had several friends become interested in improving their health by losing excess weight, thanking me for inspiring them. To me that is the greatest compliment. So overall 2013 has been a good year!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I would say mostly. I am in menopause so my goal is continuing maintenance. I've done that. I also wanted to run 40-50 Miles a month and I wanted to improve core strength and improve posture. I did the running and have done six months of Pilates which is good for both posture and core. My next goal is finding the proper nutrient balance to support me through menopause. I know it's going to be based even more on a whole foods plant based diet and I'm reading up on that now.

Those were my fitness goals. I had two major work goals and I accomplished both.

All in all I'm pleased. Hope others are happy as well! Happy holidays!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    NO I havent and its disappointing. But there is always 2014
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Yes I have and more than I believed I could achieve! I am proud of myself.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    yes in that i am 100grams from healthy weight range. no in that my tummy is WAY bigger than the recommended amount. yes in that im not eating chocolate now and dont get cravings. no in that fitness still isnt easy for me...trying to up walking now. next year i plan to have nore homecooked meals esp for work lunches. last year i was in the perfect range. i will get there again by easter!
  • grillnchill
    grillnchill Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I started MFP on Sept 30th and I have been tracking my food and activity every single day. Not a day missed. I completed Insanity's 60 program. That was a big milestone for me because I've never completed any DVD program. Though I didn't shed a lot of pounds, I toned up considerably and lost inches. That is gold to me! I have now moved on to the 30 Day Shred. (Today will be day 10) I have no desire to slow down, I want to keep pushing myself. The sky is the limit!

My energy is through the roof, skin is more radiant, I feel stronger, I sleep better, I am now creating more healthier alternatives to some of my favorite recipes.

I have quite a ways to go before I can post my "success story", but for me each day I get to wake up and complete my daily goals then it's already a success.

If I could offer some advice:

Drink water
    Exercise daily
    You can eat the things you enjoy simply by watching your portions. No hurry to eat it all in one sitting, it will be there tomorrow. :)
    Keep like minded individuals in your circle.
    Don't beat yourself up. "To err is human" Learn from your mistakes and allow them to shape a stronger you.
    Be committed 100% if you want to feel and see change.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Initially, I wanted to lose at least 20 pounds. I thought it was going to be VERY difficult for me so I didn't want to aim for 30. Well, there it went and I decided to keep going and go for 30. Now I'm around my HS weight and so thrilled with the results.

I did not get back into sports, which is something I really wanted to do, so hopefully next year. That or the gym or both!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your tips. I follow #2 as well, but #1 I think really depends on your personality type. I'd never be super open about my goals, it's a private thing to me and I share it with only a select few as it's really only my business. I do understand that for some people it's an extra source of motivation and accountability but for me that would be a bad idea (I think).

As for me...yes, I've definitely met my goal thus far. I joined on March 25th 2013 at 262 lb (down 45 lb from my HW of 307). I thought, "wouldn't it be cool if I could get down to 220 lb" because my previous adult low weight was 227. I have gone from size 22 to 16.

I am now at 204 lb. I could probably get to 199 by Jan 1 but I plan to indulge at the holidays (not gaining but probably not losing until Jan)

I'm aiming to be under 200 by my one year anniversary on MFP and then on to 180 as the next goal weight :-)

ETA: my best tip is to set yourself up for success, especially during busy times, by having "go to" meals that you can default to when you are very busy or hurried. For example I always have stuff on hand to make a breakfast taco in under 5 min so I don't grab fast food breakfast EVER. I don't consider Morningstar Farms burgers to be the healthiest food (sodium etc) but I've always got 'em in the fridge for an "emergency" meal if I am in a major hurry. This has helped me a lot during chaotic weeks.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!