Fitbit...HRM...Confused?

Options
I've been looking into getting a HRM for a while to get a more accurate reading on calories burned. I've been waiting until Christmas since they are a bit expensive. I got lucky this year graduating around Christmas time, so my dad gave me an Amazon gift card that will give me some room to splurge a little ;). I'm trying to figure out which ones work well, have cool features, and are rated highly. I've also heard a lot about the Fitbit wristband activity tracker. One feature I like about it is the sleep tracker and silent, vibrating alarm. I'm confused about how Fitbit tracks calories, and if it's possible to track during activities like yoga, fitness classes, calisthenics, and other activities where you move around in a small space for a while. Can you connect a heart rate sensor to Fitbit? I really just don't quite understand how any of these devices work, because I've never seen one in person. I really would like to make an informed decision before I spend this much money. Any advice would help. And anyone who could explain more to me about how these devices work would really be helpful as well!!

Replies

• stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This has been something I have been looking into for a while too! If you search the message boards you will find lots of info. heybales is prolly the most knowledgeable
  • cahtchme
    cahtchme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I use a FitBit One and it is not a HRM. It is essentially a pedometer that estimates your calories burned based on the data you input about yourself. I'm looking into purchasing a HRM now that I've used the FitBit for more than six months and have started incorporating more exercise into my plan in order to find out what I'm really loosing.
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Zip and also a Polar HRM F4, I use my fitbit daily and I am lost without it when I had to wait for a replacement. I don't use my HRM every time a do a workout anymore because every time I compare the two on calories burned they are close to the same burn.I have heard it both ways some get similar burns and others don't/ After having both I can't live without my Fitbit, I can live without my HRM since my burns are similar between the two. I do use my HRM to check it out from time to time or to see what my calorie burn should be for new exercise routines.
    The Fitbit is NOT a HRM it just does a estimation of calorie burn based on your BMR and the amount of steps you take in your daily activity. The more steps you take in a short time from like a Zumba class the more calories it will estimate for you vs a slow paced walk. I hope this helps. You can also look up the Fitbit group and get some feedback or search the boards for Fitbit and HRM.
  • mkinney07
    mkinney07 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info y'all! I ended up getting the Fitbit Flex and a Polar Wearlink HRM that I plan to use with one of its compatible phone apps. I ordered them on Amazon and am expecting to get them in a week or two. We'll see how they work out!